What's new

More Republicans try and kill Democrats

Radicalized by Republican elected officials and right wing media. He sounds like your average Republican. The only difference is he acted on the rhetoric we see daily rather than “understanding it was all a big game or joke.”

View: https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1586695679006613506?s=46&t=xat5iBt8cJz35DCB6JEfNA

Ya just a few minutes ago i saw a thread on Facebook discussing the attack. It was crazy how many people thought the attack was deserved or funny. Some of course said the attack was a planned hoax to make trump look bad.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

This is the crux of the issue for me. You're up in arms about how people are reacting to this, while simultaneously standing by your comment that rationalized someone being shot and closed it with "Perhaps this individual felt it was time for a republican to eat lead?" Of course you won't recognize that "this same type of rhetoric" is found on "the left" because statements like yours exist in a blind spot, where they are not seen as radicalization and hate, but rather as reasonably justified and as righteous indignation.
Could you point to any congress people or media figures who might’ve inspired the attack on Scalise? That would be helpful.

Meanwhile, I can point to dozens of currently elected Republicans in Congress, campaigning for office, former president, and prime time media hosts that inspired this guy’s actions.

Last edited:
So I looked again at the full quote from Thriller. I have not seen many Republicans condemning the things that both Thriller, and I, and others, are so concerned about. Election denialism is embraced by Republicans. The MAGA wing appears to be dominating the party. The MAGA wing is enveloped in irrational conspiracism. With that in mind, this is what Thriller said:

I think he’s saying that since MAGA and far right rhetoric seems to be acceptable to the Republican Party in 2022, than that is now the stance of the average elected Republican, and their rhetoric, and the same rhetoric from right wing media, radicalized DePage. He echoes the same nonsense they do. Both DePage, and Republicans in general, have basically succumb to the same nonsense spun off Trump’s Big Lie and the embrace of conspiracism.

What Thriller did not say is this:

Thriller did not say that the average Republican ACTS as you describe, or that the average Republican is mentally ill. He said DePage SOUNDS like the average Republican, in that DePage is voicing the same conspiratorial nonsense presently infecting the Republican Party. Don’t some 80% of registered Republicans believe the Big Lie? That’s a shame, but it does not mean they all own hammers, and they’re all just waiting for the first Democrat to come within range.

You’re not fond of the Thriller, and you often exaggerate, as you have in this instance. You twist things to suit your opinion of Thriller. He did not say the average Republican tries to kill people with a hammer. That’s you saying that’s what you believe The Thriller said.

It does seem like the average Republican believes the Big Lie. I doubt, I hope, that a small % only buy into the most extreme nonsense emanating from the far Right. I would never say all that loopy nonsense is embraced by all Republicans.
The average Republican believes in the nonsense this guy believes in. You and I can point to dozens of elected Republicans, Republicans campaigning for office, former president, and prime time media Propagandists. One doesn’t have to act on this rhetoric to make it dangerous.

The majority of Rwandan Hutus didn’t kill Tutsis in 1994. But enough of them acted on the hateful rhetoric by Hutu Power partisans and Tucker Carlson like media members like Hassan Ngeze, that when the time came, enough acted. This really isn’t any different than Jan 6, when enough Republicans acted to overthrow our democracy and came dangerously close to accomplishing such. The coup is ongoing and the dangerous rhetoric is only becoming more extreme. Republicans and their hateful and violent rhetoric are the greatest threat to our liberal democracy.

Ya just a few minutes ago i saw a thread on Facebook discussing the attack. It was crazy how many people thought the attack was deserved or funny. Some of course said the attack was a planned hoax to make trump look bad.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
No doubt. I’ve seen it too.

Just like Floyd. Just like Jan 6. Just like these midterms if things get ugly. It makes it difficult if not impossible to actually solve problems because a segment of our population is so woefully unserious, ignorant, or just ******.

You need a serious dose of reality. How timely. This evening’s 60 Minutes. A dose of reality that will for sure go right over your head. This is the reality you refuse to acknowledge, you smug clown….

It's the vote that holds America together—belief that with a ballot voices are heard, disputes are addressed and there's always another chance. Countries without this belief tend to be in bondage or at war. Election Day is coming, but across America belief is under attack. Politicians who say the 2020 election was stolen are running for governor in 19 states; attorney general in 10; and in 12 states, election deniers are running for secretary of state, which would give them power over elections. After two years of investigations and audits no fraud or error has been found in any state that would change the 2020 outcome. But in 2022, spreading doubt has been key to an endorsement from Donald Trump.

Scott Pelley(speaking to Az. GOP Sec. Of State candidate Mark Finchem): All of these accusations, the case in Yuma—scaremongering. The Brian Watson email—scaremongering. You called Arizona the epicenter of fraud, it's scaremongering. It's not the fraud that is breaking people's faith in our elections, it's people like you.

————————————————————————————-

And it’s clowns like you, AI-O-Meter. You’re an apologist for where the fault lies. You’re transparent to me.
Good post

Could you point to any congress people or media figures who might’ve inspired the attack on Scalise? That would be helpful.
Don't be dense. The guy who went to the softball game with the intention to kill Republicans and ended up shooting Scalise was a Bernie Sanders campaign staffer.

Meanwhile, I can point to dozens of currently elected Republicans in Congress, campaigning for office, former president, and prime time media hosts that inspired this guy’s actions.
You're not even addressing my statement. You're saying comments and/or joking about political violence isn't found on the left. I addressed that with your very words of "Perhaps this individual felt it was time for a republican to eat lead?" You're avoiding that by pivoting to an idea that the Scalise attack happened in a vacuum. That's not an argument I've made one way or another, not to say that I wouldn't have an opinion. I addressed your point specifically regarding "you just don’t see this same type of rhetoric on the left," where you then listed peoples' crass response to the news, and compared it to your response which is arguably much, much worse. Most of your responses to me have included generalizations to any and every issue you resent about the right, the vast majority of which I've never opined about on this forum. It doesn't really matter what nuance is discussed, in return I get a litany of grievances you have against your political foes because I appear to be amalgamized with any one or thing to the right of you as all being the same thing.

What he listened to:

His favorite television shows were listed as "Real Time with Bill Maher;" "The Rachel Maddow Show;" "Democracy Now!" and other left-leaning programs.

His favorite movie? The documentary "Inequality for All," featuring progressive economist Robert Reich.

His postings are the same rhetoric you post on this forum daily:

"Trump is a Traitor. Trump Has Destroyed Our Democracy. It's Time to Destroy Trump & Co." he posted on his personal Facebook page on March 22.

"Republicans are the Taliban of the USA," he posted in February.

The thrillers posts:

“Today is a dark day for America. But let’s not forget that MAGA is a far greater threat to American democracy than the Taliban, al Qaeda, or ISIS. Let’s not forget that these folks tried to overthrow our democracy on Jan 6 and are continuing to do so right now.”

“It’s the GOP that I despise. It’s Trumpers who I wish could be snapped out of existence. They truly have nothing to offer except for mindless authoritarianism.”

Last edited:
You're not even addressing my statement. You're saying comments and/or joking about political violence isn't found on the left. I addressed that with your very words of "Perhaps this individual felt it was time for a republican to eat lead?" You're avoiding that by pivoting to an idea that the Scalise attack happened in a vacuum. That's not an argument I've made one way or another, not to say that I wouldn't have an opinion. I addressed your point specifically regarding "you just don’t see this same type of rhetoric on the left," where you then listed peoples' crass response to the news, and compared it to your response which is arguably much, much worse. Most of your responses to me have included generalizations to any and every issue you resent about the right, the vast majority of which I've never opined about on this forum. It doesn't really matter what nuance is discussed, in return I get a litany of grievances you have against your political foes because I appear to be amalgamized with any one or thing to the right of you as all being the same thing.
I’m not sure what you’re saying in this novel or what kind of gotcha game you’re trying to play. Heated inflammatory rhetoric is wrong. Politician violence and overheated rhetoric is wrong. I don’t even remember the particulars of the Scalise shooting and don’t recall it being politically motivated by heated rhetoric from the left (politicians and/or media members). Since you’ve been sitting on my quote for 5 years, maybe you could remind me of the details about that shooting? It must’ve struck a nerve with you. Far more than anything else we’ve seen since as I don’t recall you going this hard on anybody despite Caesar Sayoc, Charlottesville, multiple shootings, MTG’s election, and Jan 6. If you have evidence to prove that scalise’s shooting was politically motivated and inspired by Democratic politicians and prominent media members, then provide it. Otherwise I think it’s time to end your silly game.

I’m not sure what you’re saying in this novel or what kind of gotcha game you’re trying to play. Heated inflammatory rhetoric is wrong. I don’t even remember the particulars of the Scalise shooting and don’t recall it being politically motivated by heated rhetoric from the left (politicians and/or media members). If you have evidence to prove that it was then provide it. Otherwise I think it’s time to end your silly game.
See, I’m not even talking about that. I’m asking if you still stand by your comment about a shooting of “Perhaps this individual felt it was time for a republican to eat lead?" and you’ve avoided it every time. You can continue to put up all the quotes of anyone you want about this situation that you feel is in poor taste, but you continue to respond to a completely separate issue than address your disgusting comment. If you’ve got any comments of mine endorsing, applauding, or joking about political violence, or rationalizing attempted murder as “time for a Republican to eat lead,” then I’d be happy to address anything I’ve said.

But I don’t anticipate any engagement on that issue as you continue to not appreciate the irony in any further posts where you feel people are being grotesque in their response to the situation.

See, I’m not even talking about that. I’m asking if you still stand by your comment about a shooting of “Perhaps this individual felt it was time for a republican to eat lead?" and you’ve avoided it every time.
Huh? Are you saying that I thought Scalise deserved to be shot? Five years ago I was hypothesizing what may have happened. I didn’t sympathize or condone that violent act. Inflammatory rhetoric and violence is never right.

Did that really need to be said? I still don’t know what point you’re trying to make. Was the Scalise shooting a politically motivated act? Who or what inspired it? Or was he just looking to shoot someone important at the baseball game? I don’t remember, maybe you could tell us? Can you directly connect Democratic politicians and media members like how we can easily connect Republicans to this most recent assassination attempt of Pelosi?

Maybe you should stop being cryptic and just spit out what you’re really getting at. It just feels like you’re playing a middle school game of “gotcha” rather than address the relevant and gigantic elephant in the room of Republican politicians, their former president (and family members), and media inciting Americans every few weeks to just obscene and disgusting acts of violence on our society.

Last edited:
Trumps response to Elon Musk taking ownership of twitter: “I am very happy that Twitter is now in sane hands, and will no longer be run by Radical Left Lunatics and Maniacs that truly hate our country,” Trump wrote.

Ya know if we are going "both sides" this thing then lets go all the way. Post some quotes from democratic politicians and media talking about Scalise that would motivate the attack. Then after you do that, post some quotes of democratic politicians and media who joked about the attack after it happend.

I dont see how anyone can actually think both sides are the same in their rhetoric. One party is entwined with Qanon for Gods sake. Is there rhetoric by both sides? Certainly. Are they at the same level? Not even close.

What he listened to:
Could you be a little more precise? Which of those people were discussing "2nd Amendment solutions", referring to Democrats as wild hogs just before shooting a few actual hogs, or showing Republicans with a target on them?

Ya know if we are going "both sides" this thing then lets go all the way. Post some quotes from democratic politicians and media talking about Scalise that would motivate the attack. Then after you do that, post some quotes of democratic politicians and media who joked about the attack after it happend.

I dont see how anyone can actually think both sides are the same in their rhetoric. One party is entwined with Qanon for Gods sake. Is there rhetoric by both sides? Certainly. Are they at the same level? Not even close.
Thank you for injecting some sanity into this thread.

Seriously. It's much needed.

Some screenshots I took off comments on Facebook about the attack
Screenshot_20221031-100716.jpgScreenshot_20221031-100659.jpgScreenshot_20221031-100637.jpgScreenshot_20221031-100606.jpgScreenshot_20221031-100532~2.jpg

Could you be a little more precise? Which of those people were discussing "2nd Amendment solutions", referring to Democrats as wild hogs just before shooting a few actual hogs, or showing Republicans with a target on them?
I’m sorry, when did MTG come up? We are talking about Steve Scalise shooter and how he was influenced. I don’t watch Rachel Maddow or left wing shows. Just like I don’t watch right wing shows.
The shooting was domestic terrorism. He obviously was influenced by the hard left because of the things he was saying and then acted on.

I find it interesting that you didn’t comment on how @The Thriller posts the same content that the shooter did online. I find it quite disturbing the only person here who posts violent and extreme posts is protected by people who are on his political side.

If Utah had red flag laws, he might be one to report. If this shooter has the same exact views as Thriller and you consider the shooter an extremist, wouldn’t you consider Thriller as an extremist? Or do you not consider the shooter an extremist?

I’m sorry, when did MTG come up? We are talking about Steve Scalise shooter and how he was influenced.
Specifically, what/who influenced him to shoot people.

The shooting was domestic terrorism. He obviously was influenced by the hard left because of the things he was saying and then acted on.
The shooter was obviously influenced by his parents, friends, teachers, etc. One of the most common indicators of these shooters in being the victim of or perpetrator of domestic violence, as Scalise's shooter had.

I find it interesting that you didn’t comment on how @The Thriller posts the same content that the shooter did online. I find it quite disturbing the only person here who posts violent and extreme posts is protected by people who are on his political side.
I am not aware that The Thriller has a history of domestic violence. I find it unlikely he's going to go out and shoot anyone. I would also say that about you, @silesian , @RandyForRubio , and a whole host of other conservative JazzFanzers (five more off the top of my head, too many to list). While The Thriller is occasionally callous, I don't recall reading one of his posts where he endorsed revolution or violence as the solution. Admittedly, being more liberal, I am perhaps too much in agreement about some of what he says to see signs that you are seeing. I'm not quite sure if you are saying The Thriller is being hypocritical (to some degree, perhaps, but he also points out a very real difference), or if you think he is a danger.

If Utah had red flag laws, he might be one to report. If this shooter has the same exact views as Thriller and you consider the shooter an extremist, wouldn’t you consider Thriller as an extremist? Or do you not consider the shooter an extremist?
Shooters don't have to be extremist, only very angry and not able to deal with that anger well. I think it's easier to feed the anger of an extremist, because so little of the world resembles what they want, but it's that inability that makes them shooters. I also think that feeding that anger is what makes otherwise-unrelated speakers culpable in the actions of the shooter. Do you rile them up without talking them down? Take that guy outside Kavanaugh's house. If Democratic leaders were talking about using 2nd Amendment solutions to the conservative majority of SCOTUS, he could very well have perpetrated a tragedy instead of turning himself in.

There are many, many people out there with trouble dealing with anger productively. If one feeds their worst impulses, one deserves to be criticized for it. We also have an obvious contrast, Sen. McConnell. I consider him to be primarily interested in gaining power and tax cuts. I dislike him thoroughly, and I'd guess The Thriller feels the same way. However, you see very few posts by The Thriller attacking McConnell, because for all we dislike of him, he's not a person who fans hatred. He doesn't accuse teachers of being groomers or talk about the government being close to seizing guns. While you think on comparisons of The Thriller and Scalise's shooter, think also on that contrast.