What's new

NBADraft.net - Draft Buzz: "Utah Targeting Derrick Williams in 3 Team Deal"

Guitaro

https://www.nbadraft.net/draft-day-draft-buzz-1

We're hearing that there is a 3 team deal in the works between Utah, Washington and Minnesota.

The deal would send the 6th pick and players (and/or cap relief) to Minnesota.

Utah would get the 2nd pick and is targeting Derrick Williams.

Washington would get the 3rd pick and is targeting Enes Kanter.

And Minnesota would move back and dump salary or add veterans such as Paul Millsap.

Minnesota might not be done at that as there is speculation that they would trade 6 to either move down again or add more established veterans.

The deal would likley involve established players. Some names that have been mentioned: Jonny Flynn and Devin Harris.

I won't be heart broken if we use Devin Harris as that piece, but I would be heartbroken if we lost Millsap just to move up one spot in the draft. I think the Jazz could get so much more for him, not to mention the value of just keeping him.

For what it's worth, a lot of folks in the Arizona alumni group think Utah is making a play for Williams, supposedly via a trade to move up (info allegedly via AZ coaching staff).

I don't see Minn going after Milsap, they don't need him. They do need and want a veteran 2 guard. CJ Miles, Raja Bell?

Sounds to me like the Jazz really are doing what I suggested, and rebuild the right way. Go after the players you really want in the draft and no more big contracts with players that aren't ideal.

Even though I love Millsap, both as a player and character guy, I think this shows the Jazz are serious about going in a new direction and rebuilding. Of course, it also mentions Harris, so it could be him instead. If so, I do like Harris, but if say we get someone like Flynn in return, that'd be interesting but not sure if that's the case.

Seems like this could just be a big salary dump move as well as picking up Derrick Williams. It could be even more interesting since Washington is moving up 3 spots and we're only moving up one spot.

There is already a thread for this...

"Interesting Tweets about the Jazz post." what you're referring to? Didn't see that. Regardless, that's really a vague title. I'd recommend if they merge to use this title for people looking for news.

It makes little sense to give up a core player to get a good prospect.

More likely WAS wants some candy to swap from 2. They just want Kanter anyways. I really doubt Utah gives up assets like Sap or Harris in this case.

Id be ok with with a package deal of the # 3Pick, Okur, Bell, Miles for #2, Wes Johnson, Darko, either Ridhour or Flynn.

It makes little sense to give up a core player to get a good prospect.

More likely WAS wants some candy to swap from 2. They just want Kanter anyways. I really doubt Utah gives up assets like Sap or Harris in this case.

The only reason I see the Jazz doing this is if there's some salary dumping going on. Maybe someone will be taking on Okur's contract as well? Perhaps Washington to help with Kanter's transition to the NBA?

Pop quiz folks!

How many monster 3 team trade deals have ever gone down on draft day? Before teams have even picked? We don't know who anyone is taking yet. Why not wait a little to see how everything pans out? The jazz could easily end up with the players they want even without any trades.

This reminds me of all those annoying threads we've seen on this board involving 10 teams, 30 players, 15 all stars, etc and yet somehow the Jazz end up with a Dream Team at the end.

Guys, relax.

I'm sure it will depend on if the Cavs take Irving. However, unless they suddenly decide to take Kanter or Williams then this trade will happen.

Wasn't the Deron trade made before the draft started? I'm trying to remember.

I'm sure it will depend on if the Cavs take Irving. However, unless they suddenly decide to take Kanter or Williams then this trade will happen.

Wasn't the Deron trade made before the draft started? I'm trying to remember.

Yes.

But that was because everyone knew that by #6 Duron and CP3 would be gone. After those guys, there's a huge drop off in the draft.

At #3, we still have no clue who'd still be available. We could easily still end up with Irving, Dwill, Kanter, or Knight. If we were sitting outside of this thing, maybe at 6, I could see us trying to move up. Instead, we could easily end up with the player(s) we want without having to make any trades.

Perhaps the trade doesn't go through if the Jazz can't get a PG at 12? Although, I don't think you can worry about that with a trade like this.

I think there are players coming our way, like Ridnour or Flynn and/or someone from Washington.

Basically, Washington and Minny couldn't agree on a trade before. Therefore, it would be more likely that the players Washington were going to send will come to us instead. We send the players Minny wants to them. Washington gets the #3 pick and we get the #2 plus player(s).