What's new

NBADraft.net - Draft Buzz: "Utah Targeting Derrick Williams in 3 Team Deal"

You're not reading what I said. I said, "If the Jazz think so, giving up Millsap is a no brainer." I still stand by it.
If a team targets a player and feels that he will be a star, giving up Millsap is a no brainer.

I'm not sure I agree it's a 'no brainer,' but I agree with the rest. If the Jazz really do believe Dwill2 has star power and is possibly an integral piece to the puzzle, giving up Milsap makes perfect sense. We know what Milsap is. He has, in my opinion, reached his ceiling. I love Milsap, but I love winning more, and if Williams helps us get more wins (even in theory), the go for it.

I'm not sure I agree it's a 'no brainer,' but I agree with the rest. If the Jazz really do believe Dwill2 has star power and is possibly an integral piece to the puzzle, giving up Milsap makes perfect sense. We know what Milsap is. He has, in my opinion, reached his ceiling. I love Milsap, but I love winning more, and if Williams helps us get more wins (even in theory), the go for it.

+1.

He's a good player, but he's not untouchable.

Will he be ok with being a bench player? Because he is not the answer for us as a starter.
********. The Jazz have consistently outscored their opponents- starters and bench players- with Millsap in the game, and for good reason.

Paul Millsap is the most well rounded offensive player the Jazz have.

Paul Millsap is the best offensive player the Jazz have.

Paul Millsap also happens to be excellent in transition both ways, and excels at positional/team defense. The guy is so ridiculously undervalued on this board, it's hard to even know how to respond to idiotic posts like yours.

When I see Derrick Williams, I think "he's got a chance to be Paul Millsap". Why trade Millsap for Millsap Jr.?

1) According to the rumor, Minnesota wants to dump salary OR add veterans such as Paul Millsap. That means that we could be potentially just be sending Okur or I wonder if AK's expiring is still a trade possibility? I doubt it, but that'd be interesting.

2) Minny might trade the #6 as well. It's possible the Jazz could obtain that pick as well. What if:
Jazz trade: Okur, Harris, Millsap and the #3.
Jazz receive: #6 and McGhee from Washington, #2 and Ridnour from Minnesota. Washington receives: #3 and Okur (to help with Kanter's transition).
Minnesota receives: Harris and Millsap.

We'd be almost too young of a team. Plus between Ridnour and McGhee, we'd get one guy who was involved in a lockeroom gun incident and another guy from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. I'm no chemistry major, but that's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Other than that, I like it. Picking Jimmer at 6 of course. Williams and Jimmer is some serious star power. Biyombo at 12. I like it.

Reposting something I posted in another thread:

My dream is for the Jazz to move some combination of Jefferson, Harris, CJ, Raja, Tomic and picks (both current and future) for Kyrie Irving, Derrick Williams, Bismack Biyombo and Charles Jenkins. Yes, it's outlandish (although, IMO, not impossible, if Harris and Big Al have value to either CLeveland or teams that have assets that Cleveland likes).

A starting lineup of Favors-Williams-Millsap-Hayward-Irving is so ridiculously smart, crafty and versatile. A bench including Biyombo-Evans-Jenkins could also cause some serious headaches for opposing teams.

I will, no doubt, be at least a little disappointed after tonight's draft.

When I see Derrick Williams, I think "he's got a chance to be Paul Millsap". Why trade Millsap for Millsap Jr.?

If change this to he has the chance to be the slightly undersized Millsap as opposed to the ridiculously under-sized real thing.

I wouldn't do Millsap+3rd pick, but I would think about either Harris+12th pick or just Millsap for the 2nd.
If we could get both the 2nd and 3rd and fill it out with Williams and Knight - wow...

Millsap and either Bell or CJ is worth the 2nd pick alone, perhaps some contract coming back like Flynn or Webster. That is the only trade I would do. Jazz then take Williams and Kanter not Knight.

If change this to he has the chance to be the slightly undersized Millsap as opposed to the ridiculously under-sized real thing.

Derrick Williams is taller than Paul Millsap, taller reach and jumps higher.

I like Derrick Williams but now it seems there's more news:

The Hawks are trying to trade Josh Smith to the Wolves for the No. 2 pick in Thursday's draft, sources tell Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski.
The Hawks are reportedly high on Turkish C Enes Kanter and want to grab him at No. 2. Due to their status under the salary cap, the Wolves could take on Smith's $13 million contract without sending back matching money. Kanter would immediately step in as the starting center in Atlanta, pushing Al Horford to his natural power forward spot. However, it's unclear if the Wolves want Smith. They already have Kevin Love at power forward and Michael Beasley at small forward.

AND

The Wolves have privately committed to Arizona F Derrick Williams if they keep the No. 2 pick, according to Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski.
Minnesota has seemingly talked to every team in the league about trading the No. 2 pick, which can't make Williams feel very good. It also can't make Williams too happy that the Wolves already have Kevin Love and Michael Beasley at the forward spots. If they do keep the pick and take Williams, expect Beasley to land on the trading block.

Either way, we may not be in play anymore. OR, we could work Atlanta into the deal? lol

Of course, if Atlanta trades Josh Smith for Kanter, does that mean Minny does the trade or do we? If Minny does then we get Williams by default. If they pick Williams then we have more options with Kanter or we keep him.

draft Williams or Kanter at 3 and trade 12 plus Miles(pick up option) for a pick in the 7-9 range if possible

AND can play the 3 (in my opinion), which Millsap can't very well (in my opinion).

That's really the main argument. If we're going to go with Favors at the 4 then we either keep an expensive backup at 4 or we trade him for a starting SF. It's really that simple. Keep in mind, Millsap being offered is only speculation. It could've been Harris for all we know or Okur.

Still, it's a valid argument: Value vs Perceived Value.

A great example is Boozer and Chicago last Summer. Chicago's perceived value of Boozer was much higher than his actual value, especially with Jazz fans.