What's new

Netflix recs?

No Activity is hilarious

Netflix’ programming is really so bad. They’ve had a couple handfuls of really good stuff but they’ve had about 100-200 awful movies or series.

Dark is pretty good.

Though IDK how Season 2 looks. I think time travel shows/movies can quickly go south. Didnt think Season 1 really ended well. I liked it a lot more for the first half than the 2nd half.

Cube (1996) is my favorite gothic tale ever put to film, and I mean Gothic as in takes place in a confined space or a labyrinth, not it's popular usage...

It features the most despicable cop character I've come across..

Don't under any circumstance watch Cube 2 tho.. I've never seen it. If you see the first one IDK what point there is to making a sequel anyways. You've been warned.

Cube features an undeniably fantastic character set.. Epic tale of villainy

I'm quite certain ******** horror films since have been stealing bits and pieces from this..

horror really isn;t my thing, most of it is gimmicky trash compared to Cube....

I have 2 cousins who love that ****, to me Cube and Suspira are the best horror flicks I've seen, and tbh i really just love the opening scene in suspira and some of the technical stuff.

Last edited:
Watching Donnie Darko, great film, great sound track, the church's under the milky way playing at the moment.... awesome track
Agreed. I've seen a ton of movies and one at the top of my list, that people were surprised I've never saw was Donnie Darko.. Just saw it recently.

Jake Gyllenhal is great in that..

A young Seth Rogen is one of the town bullies!!!

I find that to be extremely well done tho.... People don't like to touch that subject matter with a 1,000-foot pole.. and they execute it well.

Honestly I'd go as far to say that some 'big pharma' companies wouldn't like that subject matter touched with even a 1,000,000,000 foot pole if u catch my drift..

It reminds me of this Kid Cudi song Ghost..

Honestly I think thats the type of thing where people watch it and still some it goes over their heads... In the sense of what message is the director trying to convey here? type of deal..

Has anyone seen Comedians in Cars getting Coffee? I'm trying to weigh it on my priority list.

It's one of these things thats scripted to sound genuine right? obviously has great potential..

Has anyone seen Comedians in Cars getting Coffee? I'm trying to weigh it on my priority list.

It's one of these things thats scripted to sound genuine right? obviously has great potential..

Yeah watched it a while ago, some are good some aren't, the one with Garry Shandling was a highlight, saw it a few weeks before his death.

Netflix’ programming is really so bad. They’ve had a couple handfuls of really good stuff but they’ve had about 100-200 awful movies or series.

IDK how some of this **** gets the green light, 90-something percent of it is stuff that has absolutely no appeal to me, and i pride myself on having a diverse palate.... There's true gems in there too tho.. They need to hire someone with vision who can differentiate between the two and cut all this waste of $$$ waste of time crap out..

The Deathnote movie has gotta be one of the worst offenders IMO...

Aziz Ansari's show is amazing tho.. That Jim Carey documentary too... and I really liked the series on Design.

I am actually gonna check out this Jack Black Polka King ****... I hope it's like Envy, I always thought that was a super underrated PG comedy -- I'd actually argue it's before its time..

I’m assuming they pay cheap as ****, throw out 40 new movies or shows a year and hope 10-15 stick or are highly successful. Except not that many are. The far majority get such low ratings on imdb.

I’m assuming they pay cheap as ****, throw out 40 new movies or shows a year and hope 10-15 stick or are highly successful. Except not that many are. The far majority get such low ratings on imdb.

They often pay exorbitant amounts... The fact that the deathnote movie took 40-50 million dollars to make is... a stain on humanity...

they took 50 million dollars and used it to try and condense this fantastic source material thats like 20-something hours runtime (or originally tons of comics)into some bizzaro-world basterdized americanized "re-imagined" steaming pile of white-washed ****.

and in the process they ****ing completely ruined watered down the fantastic characters, including Light the main character and L, my favorite detective character of all time.....and then slash and burn style huge chunks and essential scenes were cut out..

they ****ing changed the setting from Japan to Seattle... I knew it was gonna be terrible before I turned it on, but I was truly not expecting how bad they screwed it up..

I wonder how many people really get the original material anyways.. The people who recommended it to me in the first place say they liked it but not the ending, which doesn't really add up...... Cuz watching the Netflix interpretation it seemed like a blatant grab at some target market -- not based in quality.. (not an anime dude at all, only 2 I like I found on Netflix, Deathnote and One Punch man -- and I treat em like a supernatural thriller and a super hero tale..)

That **** is truly an abomination... They say the comic (manga) is better than the animated show, this movie certainly takes the distortion to a whole new level..

Chappelle gets $20MM per stand-up... (are they any good? I'm weary...)

This **** is all so wasteful.. I could make way better **** that so many of these people and so much more efficiently, tbh.

All those orignal Marvel Series, it's said they paid $200MM for that stuff...

Many of their original series cost $40MM per season...

The crown and the get up and Sense8 cost over $100MM per season.. Marco Polo $90MM per season..

House of Cards and Orange is the New black like 50-60MM per season..

It's so sick... I can drop a huge ****ing list of great low-budget stuff, vast majority of my favorite films cost less than 7 figures...

Last edited:
If you haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut, you should see Eyes Wide Shut... I've seen it 40 times, I think Kubrick was quoted as saying it's the best film he made and after about the 35th viewing I now agree..

It's also my favorite Tom Cruise performance.. Couldn't have possibly casted anyone better..

The scene with Syndey Pollack at the pool table, Kubrick made them do like 400 something takes or something insane... thats why they look so truly exasperated..

broke the Guinness record for longest constant movie shoot at 46 weeks.

It's truly a masterpiece.. No doubt about it.. It hits in epic fashion on so many subconsious levels..

Last edited:
If you haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut, you should see Eyes Wide Shut... I've seen it 40 times, I think Kubrick was quoted as saying it's the best film he made and after about the 35th viewing I now agree..

It's also my favorite Tom Cruise performance.. Couldn't have possibly casted anyone better..

The scene with Syndey Pollack at the pool table, Kubrick made them do like 400 something takes or something insane... thats why they look so truly exasperated..

broke the Guinness record for longest constant movie shoot at 46 weeks.

It's truly a masterpiece.. No doubt about it.. It hits in epic fashion on so many subconsious levels..

it had some moments but you are truly overrating it. A number of scenes were long winded inane drivel of little to no meaning. Although Tom Cruise was remunerated handsomely for it no doubt i'd hazard a guess.

it had some moments but you are truly overrating it. A number of scenes were long winded inane drivel of little to no meaning. Although Tom Cruise was remunerated handsomely for it no doubt i'd hazard a guess.

Full Metal Jacket or A Clockwork Orange for me. Saw the Killing and Paths of Glory as a double feature at the Astor a million years ago.

Anyone else seen these 'Stranger Things' sneakers? Pretty dope.

Karl Towns wore these last week.

vlbtxzbrei7wu5cvtzko.jpg

I saw two decent thrillers on Netflix recently that I can recommend:

Darling: Kind of an art-house horror movie about this mousy chick that house-sits an old, supposedly haunted apartment on the upper east side (very rich part of NYC) that slowly turns her into a nut. About 35 minutes in the movie takes a total left turn that is not for the faint of heart. Very stylistic, B&W, a bit pretentious at times but I thought worth the watch - I think it only runs about 75 minutes so low risk anyway.

The Invitation: Starring Logan Marshall-Green who is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. About some damaged guy who goes to party along with a bunch of douches thrown by his ex-wife and her new husband and he's convinced his ex has gone crazy and is up to no good. Kind of runs like overly long Twilight Zone episode but Marshall-Green more than carries the film.

I saw two decent thrillers on Netflix recently that I can recommend:

Darling: Kind of an art-house horror movie about this mousy chick that house-sits an old, supposedly haunted apartment on the upper east side (very rich part of NYC) that slowly turns her into a nut. About 35 minutes in the movie takes a total left turn that is not for the faint of heart. Very stylistic, B&W, a bit pretentious at times but I thought worth the watch - I think it only runs about 75 minutes so low risk anyway.

The Invitation: Starring Logan Marshall-Green who is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. About some damaged guy who goes to party along with a bunch of douches thrown by his ex-wife and her new husband and he's convinced his ex has gone crazy and is up to no good. Kind of runs like overly long Twilight Zone episode but Marshall-Green more than carries the film.

I’ve seen the latter and loved it. LMC is just a steady dude. He has no particularly great range but he’s pitch perfect in that and the movie’s mood is excellent throughout. I would def recommend too.

They often pay exorbitant amounts... The fact that the deathnote movie took 40-50 million dollars to make is... a stain on humanity...

they took 50 million dollars and used it to try and condense this fantastic source material thats like 20-something hours runtime (or originally tons of comics)into some bizzaro-world basterdized americanized "re-imagined" steaming pile of white-washed ****.

and in the process they ****ing completely ruined watered down the fantastic characters, including Light the main character and L, my favorite detective character of all time.....and then slash and burn style huge chunks and essential scenes were cut out..

they ****ing changed the setting from Japan to Seattle... I knew it was gonna be terrible before I turned it on, but I was truly not expecting how bad they screwed it up..

I wonder how many people really get the original material anyways.. The people who recommended it to me in the first place say they liked it but not the ending, which doesn't really add up...... Cuz watching the Netflix interpretation it seemed like a blatant grab at some target market -- not based in quality.. (not an anime dude at all, only 2 I like I found on Netflix, Deathnote and One Punch man -- and I treat em like a supernatural thriller and a super hero tale..)

That **** is truly an abomination... They say the comic (manga) is better than the animated show, this movie certainly takes the distortion to a whole new level..
Having both read the manga and then watched the anime, I can confirm that the Netflix adaptation screws up Death Note in the most epic way. Sometimes fanboys of source material will cry and whine over changes that ultimately aren't that harmful or stuff that might actually be improvements, but there's no disputing that in this case the decisions they made were just awful. They seem to have had no concept of what made the original story interesting in the first place.

In the original, Light was a genius-level student, top of his class, with a stable home life and good relationships with his family (father, mother, sister). When he gets the death note, he is quickly established as a genuine psychotic anti-hero, a cold and calculated killer who desires to be a god and judge others while maintaining his facade of social and academic perfection (trying to maintain this facade in the face of using the death note and evading the police is what creates much of the tension).

In the Netflix version, Light is smart, but constantly in trouble at school. The sister character doesn't exist, and for some reason the mother has been killed, which has created tension between he and his father. When he gets the death note, we are encouraged to think that his screwed up home and school life are what lead him to use it, i.e. a misguided sense of purpose, or of sticking it to his father or society. This perspective is further encouraged by the fact that the really evil one turns out to be his girlfriend Mia; it is she who pushes him to keep using the death note against his better judgment... he is not particularly driven, as he very much is in the original, and is very wishy-washy about everything. So we get an indecisive, uninteresting main character who lets his choices be driven by others, and meanwhile, the tension of needing to maintain his perfect facade is largely gone, because his life is screwed up to begin with.

In sum, they basically they took a story about a compelling, self-driven psychotic anti-hero and turned it into one about an indecisive, troubled kid who makes some bad choices. And that's just talking about the main character. Forget all the other changes they made that were similarly terrible. About the only thing they got right about the movie was casting Willem Dafoe as Ryuk. There's just nothing else to salvage in that movie. What on earth were they thinking?

Go watch the anime instead, which is also on Netflix, and pretty faithfully adapts the original manga. It is 37 twenty-minute episodes, and FWIW, the high point of the whole series for me is episode 11. If you're not hooked by the end of that episode, you can safely write it off and stop watching. Lastly, although I normally prefer to watch an English dub these days if it's halfway decent, I thought the voice casting for Death Note was... kinda bad. L, for instance, is supposed to be kind of a weird geek; his English voice actor sounds like friggin' Christian Bale. It just sounds all wrong to me. So I'd recommend watching it in the original Japanese if you're able.

Having both read the manga and then watched the anime, I can confirm that the Netflix adaptation screws up Death Note in the most epic way. Sometimes fanboys of source material will cry and whine over changes that ultimately aren't that harmful or stuff that might actually be improvements, but there's no disputing that in this case the decisions they made were just awful. They seem to have had no concept of what made the original story interesting in the first place.

In the original, Light was a genius-level student, top of his class, with a stable home life and good relationships with his family (father, mother, sister). When he gets the death note, he is quickly established as a genuine psychotic anti-hero, a cold and calculated killer who desires to be a god and judge others while maintaining his facade of social and academic perfection (trying to maintain this facade in the face of using the death note and evading the police is what creates much of the tension).

In the Netflix version, Light is smart, but constantly in trouble at school. The sister character doesn't exist, and for some reason the mother has been killed, which has created tension between he and his father. When he gets the death note, we are encouraged to think that his screwed up home and school life are what lead him to use it, i.e. a misguided sense of purpose, or of sticking it to his father or society. This perspective is further encouraged by the fact that the really evil one turns out to be his girlfriend Mia; it is she who pushes him to keep using the death note against his better judgment... he is not particularly driven, as he very much is in the original, and is very wishy-washy about everything. So we get an indecisive, uninteresting main character who lets his choices be driven by others, and meanwhile, the tension of needing to maintain his perfect facade is largely gone, because his life is screwed up to begin with.

In sum, they basically they took a story about a compelling, self-driven psychotic anti-hero and turned it into one about an indecisive, troubled kid who makes some bad choices. And that's just talking about the main character. Forget all the other changes they made that were similarly terrible. About the only thing they got right about the movie was casting Willem Dafoe as Ryuk. There's just nothing else to salvage in that movie. What on earth were they thinking?

Go watch the anime instead, which is also on Netflix, and pretty faithfully adapts the original manga. It is 37 twenty-minute episodes, and FWIW, the high point of the whole series for me is episode 11. If you're not hooked by the end of that episode, you can safely write it off and stop watching. Lastly, although I normally prefer to watch an English dub these days if it's halfway decent, I thought the voice casting for Death Note was... kinda bad. L, for instance, is supposed to be kind of a weird geek; his English voice actor sounds like friggin' Christian Bale. It just sounds all wrong to me. So I'd recommend watching it in the original Japanese if you're able.

You going to watch Devilman Crybaby?