What's new

Netflix recs?

it had some moments but you are truly overrating it. A number of scenes were long winded inane drivel of little to no meaning. Although Tom Cruise was remunerated handsomely for it no doubt i'd hazard a guess.

I don't really care to needle you, but i'd love to connect the dots on whichever parts u find to have no meaning tho, it's all about infidelity and primal urges, those themes are swiftly and thoroughly beaten like a speedbag.. I know the movie like the back of my hand I've read the original source material too (not in German tho) Traumnovelle....

It's a gestalt of repeating themes and images... Thats why I think that Kubrick liked this film so much, it's his best in that sense, and I think he identified with those type of films more so than lets say his final Project - which turned into the Speilberg Movie A.I. -- Kubrick said that was more of a Speilberg type of film, which is why he took over and completed the project after his death, and EWS was more his type of thing..

Cruise KILLS this movie... Look at the range of emotion on his face...
The shot with him in the cab with the 1000 yard stare after she tells the story. the look of utter dispair and "i don't know what to say" in the pool scene.. thats what they pay the big bucks for... His face at the hookers place twice... and then contrast that with the opening party scene, which has perfect dialogue!!

It;s super easy to espouse how this wasn't received well right away, for one people expected it to be about ****ing, and it's about not ****ing... but also after a 12 year wait from Full Metal Jacket they were probably plenty of people who had no idea what they were walking into..

Last edited:
Go watch the anime instead, which is also on Netflix, and pretty faithfully adapts the original manga. It is 37 twenty-minute episodes, and FWIW, the high point of the whole series for me is episode 11. If you're not hooked by the end of that episode, you can safely write it off and stop watching. Lastly, although I normally prefer to watch an English dub these days if it's halfway decent, I thought the voice casting for Death Note was... kinda bad. L, for instance, is supposed to be kind of a weird geek; his English voice actor sounds like friggin' Christian Bale. It just sounds all wrong to me. So I'd recommend watching it in the original Japanese if you're able.

Yup I watched it in Japanese. Heard the voice actress for Misa was annoying ahead of time. I always keep the subtitles on anyways for many reasons.

When I first put it on, I turned it off before the title sequence ended cuz I was so sure I was gonna hate it.. few weeks later I tried again and realized I just hate the title sequence LOL.. Some of this music just kills me,, the soundtrack to street fighter 4 made the game unplayable..

Haven't yet, but I should. Just busy. But I will probably check it out soon. Helps that it's only ten episodes, not too big a commitment.
I watched the first four when it came out. I will probably return to it at some point, but it didnt really grab me. I thought that Castlevania Netflix series was way better.

Dont know if its on netflix or not and I cant remember if I already mentioned it before but No Activity is one of the funniest shows i have ever seen.

The new Sci fi Noir show, Altered Carbon, rules so far. It's not perfect, but hard sci fi shows like this never get a huge budget. Its flaws are very easy to overlook. I think this show is going to be big. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up becoming Netflix's game of thrones or walking dead. It just seems like it will have a huge worldwide appeal. Check it out if you like quality science fiction.

The new Sci fi Noir show, Altered Carbon, rules so far. It's not perfect, but hard sci fi shows like this never get a huge budget. Its flaws are very easy to overlook. I think this show is going to be big. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up becoming Netflix's game of thrones or walking dead. It just seems like it will have a huge worldwide appeal. Check it out if you like quality science fiction.
Planning on this one as soon as I get done with Amazon's "Electric Dreams" which is okay but clearly Amazon ripping off "Black Mirror"

The end of the ****ing world was great. 160 minute season of pure taste.

Now started Orange is the new black and liked it very much. The theme is amazing.

Folks... a show based on the stories of phillip k dick is definitely not ripping off black mirror. I haven't seen the show but this drives me crazy.

It's also noir as hell. I'll be interested to see what they do for Season 2, given that, in the books, he's in a different sleeve.

Not on Netflix but the new 9-1-1 show is pretty good. A little bit like 'Southland' - boy do I miss that show.

Not on Netflix but the new 9-1-1 show is pretty good. A little bit like 'Southland' - boy do I miss that show.

I love me some Peter Krause and Connie Britton and Angela Bassett, but I was only able to watch the first half of the first episode before I turned it off. I hope it got better, but I don't think I'll be coming back to it. The ratings are good, so I guess it will be around for awhile.

I love me some Peter Krause and Connie Britton and Angela Bassett, but I was only able to watch the first half of the first episode before I turned it off. I hope it got better, but I don't think I'll be coming back to it. The ratings are good, so I guess it will be around for awhile.

I mean it's not GREAT, but after a hard day's work you just want to sit back with a beer and turn on a cheap and cheerful show that just entertains you for an hour without having to be too involved or think too much about, and this sorta hits the spot for me.

Kinda like a quarter pounder with cheese...

My wife and I really like watching This Is Us together. Really good show if you like shows that bring out the emotions/waterworks.