What's new

Neto or Burke -- Who will be better? (Gun to your head)

Who will be better

• Total voters
Another factor to consider is the shot clock.

Burke was accustomed to playing with the college bball 35 second short clock. Neto has been playing with the 24 shot clock for 2 years.

That's a big difference in the way you set up/run your offense and your tempo.

Another factor to consider is the shot clock.

Burke was accustomed to playing with the college bball 35 second short clock. Neto has been playing with the 24 shot clock for 2 years.

That's a big difference in the way you set up/run your offense and your tempo.

Yeah it means Neto is more ready and thus starter material until Trey gets ready, right?

More ready right now does not mean better. It means he has played professionally for two years. That is about it.

Mccolum. Cj

/sigh.....the Neato love is sickening..the guy looked good in a SL game, sort of, for Gods sake..he has skills, obviously, but not even a chance in hell he will be close to what Trey will be, and that might not even be much. I understand the need for Euro love, but come on..

Our desperation is making people see things in both of them that probably isn't there, at all...

/sigh.....the Neato love is sickening..the guy looked good in a SL game, sort of, for Gods sake..he has skills, obviously, but not even a chance in hell he will be close to what Trey will be, and that might not even be much. I understand the need for Euro love, but come on..

Our desperation is making people see things in both of them that probably isn't there, at all...

I am liking that post.

Well there is definately a chance Neato will be better than Burke... Also, the fact that there is some Neato love is GREAT. I'm a Jazz Fan and I don't care if one or the other turns out better as long as one, and preferably both, are dang good. The thread objective was to make a guess at who would be better, so i can see how the either/or concept occured, but i'm hopeful and optimistic they'll both be good.

If Neto is better than Burke, why didn't he go in the top 8 of the draft? Methinks that 30 nba teams who passed on him at least once might be onto something. I mean, you guys have seen him play for like less than 20'minutes against inferior talent, and all of a sudden he is Ricky Rubio? Pretty slick scouting...

If Neto is better than Burke, why didn't he go in the top 8 of the draft? Methinks that 30 nba teams who passed on him at least once might be onto something. I mean, you guys have seen him play for like less than 20'minutes against inferior talent, and all of a sudden he is Ricky Rubio? Pretty slick scouting...

I am not saying Neto will be an all-star or something but look where Ginobili was drafted. And we have had some luck with 47th draft pick.

Based on what? Since when does where you were drafted determine how good a player you'll be in this leauge? Did everyone forget about how Wesley Matthews and Paul Millsap, worked their way up to being starters in this leauge? Have my fellow Jazz fans already forgotten, that talent can be found in the late rounds with nothing but a little good scouting?

Neto isn't some sort of scrub from Europe, who finally transferred into the Nba. Neto's a point guard who's playing professionaly in the hardest leauge in europe, and was coached by the same guy who coach Rubio and Rudy Fernandez.

It's a shame that a fanbase that has seen so many good late round picks, is suddenly writing players off because of them being late draft picks. Did Jerry Sloan ever do that? No. He belived that everyone starts from 0, day one, and everyone has a chance to earn their minutes

How many teams actually are known for scouting international talent? The reason Rubio got drafted so high, was because he had additional attention brought on him from being a youtube sensation, and playing in the olympics the year before he was drafted.

Productive European players are always going late in the draft.

Rudy Fernandez- 1st round 24th pick
Andrei Kirelinko (Ak-47) - 1st round 24th pick
Nicolas Batum- 1st round 25th pick
Carlos Delfino- 1st round 25th pick
Tony Parker- 1st round 28th pick
Greivis Vásquez- 1st round 28th pick
Leandro Barbosa - 1st round 28th pick
Tiago Splitter- 1st round 28th pick
Beno Udrih- 1st round 28th pick
Nikola Peković- 2nd round 31st pick
Ersan İlyasova- 2nd round 38th pick
Goran Dragic -2nd round 45th pick
Marc Gasol- 2nd round 48th pick
Marcin Gortat- 2nd round 57th pick
Manu Ginobilli- 2nd round 57th pick
Jose Calderon- Undrafted
JJ Barea- Undrafted

Doesn't mean they're not productive. Actually a big thing that deters gm's from drafting international players, is the issues that come when trying to buyout contracts. It's funny cause if you look at most of these guys, they were drafted by the exact same teams, because very few teams invest a lot of effort in intenational scouting.

That argument about where he was drafted is silly, especilly considering Dragic who was drafted with the 45th pick in the draft a couple years ago, is probally a better guard right now, than Trey Burke will ever be in this leauge because of his limitations.

But of course, you know, where you're drafted is the clear indication of where you're going in this leauge

Last edited:
I mean thinking about it right now, if we had drafted Alec Burks in the same year we saw Wesley Matthews in summer leauge, (70% of you) would be claiming that Matthews had no chance of being being better, simply because of where he was drafted, and nothing having to do with his skillset.

You should be ashamed, stop debating where they were drafted, and start debating what they actually bring to the court. That might mean you'll actually have to watch some of the games they've played throughout the years, and actually make an evaluation based on basketball. Everyone knows the college ball, but when it comes to international ball, you wanna simply talk about where they were drafted as the indication of what they bring to the court.

Last edited:
Who's Neto? I don't see anyone on this roster with that name.

The only Neto I know is playing in Liga ACB in Europe. And we all know European Leagues are superior to the NBA so all Euro players are dominant stars in the NBA...

Neto is really crafty and I wish I could watch him play minutes for the Jazz.

this guy works really hard and he is very agressive on defense. He puts up real fight.

The main thing about Neto is his ability to dish the ball out, He's a pure point guard. Pure as they come.

Neto is really limited. I am not sure he's not even more limited than Burke. He'd be a good option for secondary PG. Here's his stats for this season in the Spanish ACB League after 7 games:

23 MPG, 9.3 PPG, 4.1 APG, 1.4 RBPG, 0.9 SPG, 3.1 TO, shooting % - 49% FG, 33% 3P FG, 63% FT

Neto is really limited. I am not sure he's not even more limited than Burke. He'd be a good option for secondary PG. Here's his stats for this season in the Spanish ACB League after 7 games:

23 MPG, 9.3 PPG, 4.1 APG, 1.4 RBPG, 0.9 SPG, 3.1 TO, shooting % - 49% FG, 33% 3P FG, 63% FT
I can't agree.

First, those stats are pretty respectable within ACB(maybe except the TO but it's more of because of his fancy and pass-first game style), they are even actually much better in my opinion than Burke's 10.5 pts, 5.5 asts, 1.1 stls with 34% FG, 28% 3P FG in 32 minutes. But still I would not compare their stats directly, it's just completely different game and leagues. Huertel leads the ACB with only 7.5 assists while the second name has only 5.5 assists. League leader in points also has only 16 pts per game as well.

Plus, I don't know if you have or not but especially if you haven't watch any of Neto's games this season, I wouldn't use the phrase "really limited" for him. I watch more ACB games than I watch NBA games and I believe that phrase is really injustice for Neto. I could agree that both of their upsides are dubious and arguable in any comparison but I see a lot more reliable player when I watch Neto than Burke at this point of their careers. He is a very smart player on both ends of the floor and he actually tries on the defensive side.

I think his upside is being a really decent starter in an NBA team in his prime which is not a very limited capacity at all in my opinion.

I can't agree.

First, those stats are pretty respectable within ACB(maybe except the TO but it's more of because of his fancy and pass-first game style), they are even actually much better in my opinion than Burke's 10.5 pts, 5.5 asts, 1.1 stls with 34% FG, 28% 3P FG in 32 minutes. But still I would not compare their stats directly, it's just completely different game and leagues. Huertel leads the ACB with only 7.5 assists while the second name has only 5.5 assists. League leader in points also has only 16 pts per game as well.

Plus, I don't know if you have or not but especially if you haven't watch any of Neto's games this season, I wouldn't use the phrase "really limited" for him. I watch more ACB games than I watch NBA games and I believe that phrase is really injustice for Neto. I could agree that both of their upsides are dubious and arguable in any comparison but I see a lot more reliable player when I watch Neto than Burke at this point of their careers. He is a very smart player on both ends of the floor and he actually tries on the defensive side.

I think his upside is being a really decent starter in an NBA team in his prime which is not a very limited capacity at all in my opinion.

Oh, I was giving his stats just as an additional information to the thread, not as a support for my opinion. In fact, I'd say those stats are pretty good(excluding the turnovers) and I'd be screaming with joy if Trey was close to his shooting %s.

My opinion about his limitations is based on what I've seen of his play(most recently in the World cup). I haven't seen any of those newest games. I agree with pretty much everything you said about his strong skills and I totally agree with you about his defensive play - I think he can be a pest on defense and he plays very... I don't know how to put it... intense defense... I think his physical limitations ultimately limit what he can do at an NBA level. He's neither long enough, nor athletic enough, and his skills even though pretty good, are not at the level where they'd make up for his physical deficiencies. And I agree that he seems like a smart player on offense... I just disagree with your evaluation of where all those skills can get him. I think the most realistic expectation for him is being a good backup. What I'd give you is - maybe me suggesting he might be more limited than Trey was wrong. At least he has some defensive intensity on his side.

Oh, I was giving his stats just as an additional information to the thread, not as a support for my opinion. In fact, I'd say those stats are pretty good(excluding the turnovers) and I'd be screaming with joy if Trey was close to his shooting %s.

My opinion about his limitations is based on what I've seen of his play(most recently in the World cup). I haven't seen any of those newest games. I agree with pretty much everything you said about his strong skills and I totally agree with you about his defensive play - I think he can be a pest on defense and he plays very... I don't know how to put it... intense defense... I think his physical limitations ultimately limit what he can do at an NBA level. He's neither long enough, nor athletic enough, and his skills even though pretty good, are not at the level where they'd make up for his physical deficiencies. And I agree that he seems like a smart player on offense... I just disagree with your evaluation of where all those skills can get him. I think the most realistic expectation for him is being a good backup. What I'd give you is - maybe me suggesting he might be more limited than Trey was wrong. At least he has some defensive intensity on his side.

Hmm, I see. Sorry for my misunderstanding about the stats then. And I certainly agree on his physical shortcomings, if he were a long arm-ed 6-4 PG with his current skills for instance, he would probably be playing in Lakers now anyway.

I stand by my evaluations though, that his upside is being a really decent starter in the NBA. But the key word is upside. Because I could agree with your realistic approach as well, since he might indeed end up as an only solid back up player. But maybe I could say it's the safest approach rather than being the most realistic to me. Because I really believe that he has the work ethic and the character to fulfill his potential. Plus the ACB is really really a good place to improve and sharpen his skills.