What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

Yeah... he deserves max. We won't hesitate. 5 years full max and we lock him up for the first 9 years of his career. He can't sign it until next summer, but we damned sure better offer it.
I’m pushing back on this. I’d first pitch the potential of shopping in his RFA year. 2021 is a good one and Conley will be well on his way out as a player by then.

(Unless that cuts a year off the length of the contract that the Jazz can offer.)

I’m pushing back on this. I’d first pitch the potential of shopping in his RFA year. 2021 is a good one and Conley will be well on his way out as a player by then.

Maybe. We could have left the door open with Rudy and we didn't. Sending him to RFA and him getting a 3+1 would be not great. I also think if Conley is working out that he opts out this year and we re-sign him at a lower number but on a 3 year deal.

I'd rather forego what we can do in FA and just give him the bag... that way he isn't out there meeting with other teams and ****.

God damn, is this a joke? lol

We'll max him ASAP and he has no reason to feel guilty or give the community a break down of how he plans to spend it.

I never said we wouldn't give the max. I actually said we would give it immediately.

I was joking around about the nobility of one Donovan Mitchell. Some guys do take less on behalf of the team. Hell, this year...

- KD took less than the max
- Kyrie took less than the max
- Kemba took less than the max
- Butler took less money to go to a place where he wanted to be

Maybe. We could have left the door open with Rudy and we didn't. Sending him to RFA and him getting a 3+1 would be not great. I also think if Conley is working out that he opts out this year and we re-sign him at a lower number but on a 3 year deal.

I'd rather forego what we can do in FA and just give him the bag... that way he isn't out there meeting with other teams and ****.
Give him the choice would be my approach, then. A handshake guarantee he’ll get the max, but mentioning that delaying opens up substantial opportunity to sustain or improve the team.

Also, the Rudy situation was quite different.

Give him the choice would be my approach, then. A handshake guarantee he’ll get the max, but mentioning that delaying opens up substantial opportunity to sustain or improve the team.

Yeah... he's smart enough to understand it... I just think you don't eff around with him. Get too cute and it really hurts you.

I'm afraid if we don't plug the hole at the 4 with something more than hope that a G leaguer can give us more than expected that all of this will be for naught. We need to at least be competitive at each position. We can't be stellar at 3, solid at 1, and absolute crap at the last, with a pretty thin bench, and expect to go very far.

There's gotta be more coming, right?

I'm afraid if we don't plug the hole at the 4 with something more than hope that a G leaguer can give us more than expected that all of this will be for naught. We need to at least be competitive at each position. We can't be stellar at 3, solid at 1, and absolute crap at the last, with a pretty thin bench, and expect to go very far.

Jabari Parker is the missing piece.

Its gonna happen. Then I will give an A+ to this offseason.

They're not done, but I doubt it'll be anything extravagant unless a stupidly good opportunity presents itself. More or less, with the firepower the team has now, they need a four who can simply 3D in any capacity at the vet min price. Thabo, if he returned, would be great in this capacity. That said, we aren't devoid in this area as well. As the league trends smaller and positionless, this will not be a huge concern I think. Worst case, Niang, David, or a guy like Reed can work as a stop gap.

Conley-Calathes
Mitchell-O’Neale
Bogdo-Ingles
Morris
Gobert-Davis

As a playoff core nine, that’s a legit chance at an nba title.

Jabari Parker is the missing piece.

giphy.gif

Well, he could be useful if he'd sign for veteran minimum.

I'm hoping that we still sign a SF/PF in free agency to add depth. I don't expect us to get JaMychal Green, but I do still like Jake Layman, Jeff Green, Wilson Chandler and Darius Miller. Layman would be my top choice, even though he's more of a SF than a SF/PF, but I think he'd be able to play the 4 as well and a lot of people sleep on his potential. Jeff Green is a solid player on both ends but isn't great at anything. Wilson Chandler can add depth but isn't a great three-point shooter. I like Darius Miller because of his ability to shoot the three at a high level and he's big enough to hold his own in the post. He's a pretty underrated player, but his defense is below average.

A year from now? Maybe. Probably. I really don't know what to expect from the Don. Maybe he comes out and publicly states that he intentionally wants to take less money so we can keep guys like Royce and Joe. Or maybe he says he wants the entire amount so he can use it to help the community. I don't see him being the type who threatens leaving if we don't give every penny possible (although we would).

In a perfect world, Donovan has an interview with somebody on ESPN called "The Selection". He uses the first half of the 30 minute program talking about how his contract to name the community areas where it will help. Then at the end, he decides to take less than the max because he knows he can raise the money between what he takes and the max to address the community areas where he wants to address.

Coming off getting the 2020 NBA Finals MVP, Donovan becomes the most popular player in the sport. Utah becomes a free agent destination where players notoriously take less than max dollar to win a title and play the game the right way.

Negotiating with Mitchell 101:

Step 1: You start with the maximum allowable under the then CBA. Do not low ball unless he has publicly stated otherwise.

Step 1a: See what number he had in mind and just do it.

Step 2: See step 1.

We'll see what Mitchell wants. But I'm positive that's how it will go. But so help me, if the Jazz lowball Mitchell, I am disavowing my fandom of this team with extreme prejudice. Mitchell is the surest thing for Utah in a generation. The organization cannot insult him professionally or personally unless it's unreasonable. They wouldn't because they're good like that and have been nothing but great with their players. But I am just putting it out there.

Negotiating with Mitchell 101:

Step 1: You start with the maximum allowable under the then CBA. Do not low ball unless he has publicly stated otherwise.

Step 1a: See what number he had in mind and just do it.

Step 2: See step 1.

We'll see what Mitchell wants. But I'm positive that's how it will go. But so help me, if the Jazz lowball Mitchell, I am disavowing my fandom of this team with extreme prejudice. Mitchell is the surest thing for Utah in a generation. The organization cannot insult him professionally or personally unless it's unreasonable. They wouldn't because they're good like that and have been nothing but great with their players. But I am just putting it out there.
Oh, we definitely offer the max without a doubt day 1. Hopefully, he accepts less because he is a legend.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Oh, we definitely offer the max without a doubt day 1. Hopefully, he accepts less because he is a legend.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

We'll see. If he states it publicly, we'll just see what he had be in mind and match it (or better if it the cap will allow that and retaining guys like Royce, etc.) and give him a dealership. If not, we'll just max him without question. Mitchell Mazda has a nice ring to it.

A bench with Exum, Jingles, West, and Royce is actually pretty damn solid.

We'll see. If he states it publicly, we'll just see what he had be in mind and match it (or better if it the cap will allow that and retaining guys like Royce, etc.) and give him a dealership. If not, we'll just max him without question. Mitchell Mazda has a nice ring to it.
It will look good next to Morris Mercedes.

i know this is illegal but with a wink and an implied comment the Jazz could convince some one to come for the min + player option one (in case they get injured). Then next year sign them to the MLE or bi annual.