What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

I think its safe to assume with better spacing and internal growth as the players grow and learn Mitchell and DLo would get more efficient. Conley shot 43.8% last year and DLo shot 43.4%. Not that big of difference. Mike did get to the FT line more but his TS% is only .3% better. Plus Russell had slightly more assists. Neither is great at finishing at the rim both were 55% but DLo was .04% better. The only difference is that Conley was a better defender. But I would rather have the cheaper much younger player who showed decent defense in the playoffs and I think he has the length and height to be a decent defender, especially in our system.

On top of that we would have an extra 12 million to do something with.

But its a moot point since we went with the guaranteed route instead of taking a chance on signing someone else. I think that was a smart choice. We would be screwed if we didnt trade for Conley and didnt get Harris or DLo.
WAS better. Last season Dlo is actually better in terms of defense. Better DWS, Drtg and DBPM. People said Conley's poor defense stats was due to Grizz bad team record, but in fact Grizz was actually one of the top defensive team in the league in terms of drtg and Conley ties for the 13th best on that Grizz team in that department. Dlo isn't that great of defender either dont get me wrong. but I think people do overrate Conley's defense a lot simply because of his all defense team selection, which occurred when Joakim Noah was still the league's best defender and before Rudy entering the league. Mike Conley at this point of his career is more of a offensive player than a two-way star that people tend to think he is.

I thought free agent negotiations couldn't happen before June 30th. What are these "talks" that dissolved between Horford and the Celtics? Are the rules different if it's your own free agent? Or if you're the Celtics?

Agents are talking to front offices all year round. That is why the die is often cast on 50% of the deals before FA starts.

I'm sure the Turner/Bazemore deal is okay for Portland, but I must say I thought Evan Turner did a great job at important intervals the POs this year.

I'm sure the Turner/Bazemore deal is okay for Portland, but I must say I thought Evan Turner did a great job at important intervals the POs this year.

He played defense, which is more than some of Portland's other bench players did.

Would almost have to be Gordon and Capela in a sign and trade.... I'm sure Capela is routed to a third team... does this make the Rockets better if true?

If they lose Capella and Gordon for Butler, I think they could be better. All depends on who they get for cheap to play C.

Paul
Harden
Butler
PJ Tucker

That's a really good starting lineup.

Would almost have to be Gordon and Capela in a sign and trade.... I'm sure Capela is routed to a third team... does this make the Rockets better if true?

I honestly don't know whether it makes them better. Jimmy Butler's really good but at the same time Gordon and Capella would be a big loss. I'm also not sure how well Paul, Harden and Butler will be able to coexist.

If they lose Capella and Gordon for Butler, I think they could be better. All depends on who they get for cheap to play C.

Paul
Harden
Butler
PJ Tucker

That's a really good starting lineup.

Are they able to hold up without Capela in the middle... Gordon was really good too... IDK. Maybe they know they can get a good center on the cheap.

Are they able to hold up without Capela in the middle... Gordon was really good too... IDK. Maybe they know they can get a good center on the cheap.

Capella isn't a "have to have" player. He's good to have against a guy like Gobert, but he can seem worthless against Golden State.

Butler is a much better player than Gordon. If they get Butler, all they would need is an okay center or multiple center options and they will be okay. I wouldn't put it past D'Antoni to go super small and play Tucker at C sometimes.

If they can get a good center on the cheap, why the hell have they had nene the last two years? This just Houston trying to get off that contract.

Capella isn't a "have to have" player. He's good to have against a guy like Gobert, but he can seem worthless against Golden State.

Butler is a much better player than Gordon. If they get Butler, all they would need is an okay center or multiple center options and they will be okay. I wouldn't put it past D'Antoni to go super small and play Tucker at C sometimes.
They have already been doing that in the playoffs. Because players that can’t shoot or make plays are kind of easy to play off the floor if one team has more of those than the other.

there's only one ball I sure hope The Rockets add butler Can't see that working out. Capela has been super valuable for them.

It makes them easier for us to beat in the playoffs.
Thanks but no thanks to Butler in Houston. I’m hoping he fills a max slot for the Knicks. All they’d need is to find a stupid team to take on Paul and they’d be right back in the thick of things.