What's new

Game Thread Nov 04, 2021 05:30PM MT: Jazz at Hawks

Added to Calendar: 11-04-21

This six game Eastern road trip with a random home game against the Kings in the middle of it is kind of Bollucks. I guess getting it now instead of later is good. 10 games into the schedule we have finished 40% of our total Eastern conference road schedule.
That's nuts. It's really good for the Jazz come the end of the season when we can travel less though.

Ultimately it came down to Niang vs Gay. Even if Niang loved it here the opportunity in PHI is better for him than competing with Gay for minutes. The Jazz did go with the more expensive option so kudos for that. It's not a given that Gay proves to be a better player than Niang IMO. He does have a wider range of outcomes. I could see him pushing Bogey/Ingles for minutes as a legit closing option whereas I couldn't see that with Niang. I could also see him taking all the "5" minutes with Paschall in the playoffs instead of Whiteside depending on the matchup. I don't think Quin would be confident in doing the same with Niang. There's a higher ceiling for Gay, but I also think the downside potential is greater given his age. His transition to a smaller, more streamlined role should help him extend his career...but Gay is already the exception for playing as long and well as he has. There's always some degree of risk to paying for years 35, 36, and 37.

I like Niang. I suspected he would get $5 - $7 million per year based on his performance with the Jazz last year. I think he took a big hit in the playoffs which drove his price WAY down.

If I were the Jazz, I would have signed Niang again at $3.3 Million and moved on from Elijah Hughes. Cost difference? $1.7 million. Tax hit? Sizeable. Likely around $5 or $6 million in taxes. Playability? Hughes will get garbage minutes while Niang would push for the 8th man. Perhaps he would have given us a discount to stay in Utah? Say, $500,000 in discounts to be replaced by a minivan dealership promotional that he would make up that way (saving the Jazz $3,000,000 a la Udonis Haslem).

But I get that it would have been a hard call and I am happy for Niang.
The playoff hit is real. Look at Simmons.

If DM is out then I see this as a loss. Atlanta has very good team and they have played us tough. Hopefully Butler gets some minutes.

He prefers to use the tube, I think.
Yeah I thought it was more like a silencer so that you don't disturb the rest of your family with your explosive diarrhea.

Where would he have played? We replaced him with Rudy Gay. He would have been third string. He may have liked the Jazz, but he is a better play than third string.
That was sorta my point the Jazz prioritized Gay over Niang as far as who to sign first and I was strictly speaking from the Jazz' perspective of after signing Gay had they not been over the cap I'm sure they would have liked to bring him back but the cost to bring him back was not worth it. Like others said who's to say Niang would want that role even if the Jazz offered to bring him back, sadly Niang also prolly fits PHI better with their more versatile defenders he wont be exposed as bad as with the Jazz. He does put the effort in on D just limited physically.

These three game in four night stretches can be brutal. I'd be content going 2-1 as there's zero reason we should lose to the Magic, but both the Hawks and Heat are a tough out.

We will see how things go. Niang wasn’t supposed to play over Jeff Green, sometimes expectations aren’t met. I would agree that it’s not really a decision to regret, however. Especially compared to others.

I loved me some Minivan and thought he was underrated while he was here. There’s still a sentiment out there that he was never an NBA player at all. Glad he’s found a good landing spot.
Ironic that the conversation has turned to Niang because I got a much needed day off today and ended up watching much of the Game of the Week or whatever it's called on NBA TV, Chicago at Philly. It was the Philly feed and the conversation revolved more about Niang than any other player on the roster. The town is absolutely in love with this guy, he even got the MVP chant at a recent game apparently, to which Embid reportedly responded to Niang, "Don't let it happen again!". Also, he reportedly broke into a sprint on one play, and there has been some talk of changing his nickname from Minivan to Sprinter. Anyway, who doesn't like Georges Niang?, couldn't be happier for him!

Ironic that the conversation has turned to Niang because I got a much needed day off today and ended up watching much of the Game of the Week or whatever it's called on NBA TV, Chicago at Philly. It was the Philly feed and the conversation revolved more about Niang than any other player on the roster. The town is absolutely in love with this guy, he even got the MVP chant at a recent game apparently, to which Embid reportedly responded to Niang, "Don't let it happen again!". Also, he reportedly broke into a sprint on one play, and there has been some talk of changing his nickname from Minivan to Sprinter. Anyway, who doesn't like Georges Niang?, couldn't be happier for him!

Yeah…as a huge fan of his I’m happy he’s found a good landing spot. I don’t know what the general fan opinion was…but around here it seemed like people were just hoping he would fail and once he had a bad playoffs they were really done with him.

He’s a really nice player and if he can shoot well in the playoffs (which he has already done in the past) the Sixers got a huge discount. Teams are paying 4-5x more for that type of production. Their fans should be ecstatic about that signing.

The great thing is that four years ago the debate was Mitchell or Simmons, and now it’s Niang or Simmons and I think Niang has edged him out.

Anyways….Jazz have a game against Atlanta tonight. First chance to win against a tough, healthy opponent.

Donovan's out. Royce and Whiteside will play.

Last edited: