What's new

Game Thread Nov 04, 2021 05:30PM MT: Jazz at Hawks

Added to Calendar: 11-04-21

Niangs shot disappeared JC style when it mattered most. I love Niang and he did a good job fixing his weaknesses but he wasn’t a guy that could hang defensively in the playoffs. Paschall and Gay may end up putting up lower numbers and having a much bigger impact in the playoffs.

We are just fine without him.

He was god awful during the playoffs, no doubt about that. His shot was the biggest thing holding him back, but I don’t believe one bad series or one bad playoff run means you can’t shoot forever.

Defensively I think he hangs as well as a lot of our players did. That’s definitely not a compliment…but I think he can still be a part of a playoff rotation as long as he hits his shots and I believe he can. The guys who got paid for their shooting aren’t exactly defensive aces either and that was well known when they got paid. I think Niang got too much flak for his defense, but even if he’s as bad as people say he is his shooting is still valuable. As long as he makes them of course :)

I don’t really buy into the “when it matters most” rhetoric unless I see a real basketball reason to make me believe that it wasn’t just a bad playoff run. He shot the well the year before and I don’t see why he couldn’t do it again. So many players have failed “when it matters most” and then the next year play well or vice versa. That’s the nature of small sample sizes. Rudy Gay hasn’t exactly played well “when it matters most” during the playoffs and Paschall couldn’t get on the court during the playins , but it means nothing to me.

Niang came at the cost of barely above the minimum, so even if he played zero playoff minutes I think that’s a bargain deal. It’s not too different from how I see Whiteside. If he continues to play well it’s a great deal regardless of whether he can play in the playoffs or not.

Like I said, I don’t think we’re really missing Niang because it appears that we’ve replaced him well. It may not be a huge loss for us, or even a loss at all, but it is definitely a huge win for PHI. Their fans should be ecstatic about that signing.

Last edited:
He was god awful during the playoffs, no doubt about that. His shot was the biggest thing holding him back, but I don’t believe one bad series or one bad playoff run means you can’t shoot forever.

Defensively I think he hangs as well as a lot of our players did. That’s definitely not a compliment…but I think he can still be a part of a playoff rotation as long as he hits his shots and I believe he can. The guys who got paid for their shooting aren’t exactly defensive aces either and that was well known when they got paid. I think Niang got too much flak for his defense, but even if he’s as bad as people say he is his shooting is still valuable. As long as he makes them of course :)

I don’t really buy into the “when it matters most” rhetoric unless I see a real basketball reason to make me believe that it wasn’t just a bad playoff run. He shot the well the year before and I don’t see why he couldn’t do it again. So many players have failed “when it matters most” and then the next year play well or vice versa. That’s the nature of small sample sizes. Rudy Gay hasn’t exactly played well “when it matters most” during the playoffs and Paschall couldn’t get on the court, but it means nothing to me.

Niang came at the cost of barely above the minimum, so even if he played zero playoff minutes I think that’s a bargain deal. It’s not too different from how I see Whiteside. If he continues to play well it’s a great deal regardless of whether he can play in the playoffs or not.

Like I said, I don’t think we’re really missing Niang because it appears that we’ve replaced him well. It may not be a huge loss for us, or even a loss at all, but it is definitely a huge win for PHI. Their fans should be ecstatic about that signing.
This is fine… I just don’t think it’s worth lamenting. We have more flexibility now. He wouldn’t play over Gay and Paschall may end being a push… but a push that’s cheaper and different… so the toolbox has expanded.

If we want to lament I think we should lament DL over ruling the other front office people and passing on Bane who is a bonafide nba starter in year 2 and is dirt cheap for the next three years.

This is fine… I just don’t think it’s worth lamenting. We have more flexibility now. He wouldn’t play over Gay and Paschall may end being a push… but a push that’s cheaper and different… so the toolbox has expanded.

If we want to lament I think we should lament DL over ruling the other front office people and passing on Bane who is a bonafide nba starter in year 2 and is dirt cheap for the next three years.

We will see how things go. Niang wasn’t supposed to play over Jeff Green, sometimes expectations aren’t met. I would agree that it’s not really a decision to regret, however. Especially compared to others.

I loved me some Minivan and thought he was underrated while he was here. There’s still a sentiment out there that he was never an NBA player at all. Glad he’s found a good landing spot.

I was huge on resigning Niang. I don't think we're necessarily missing him because we're still playing well, but that was a good opportunity to lock down a rotation player for cheap. Nice to have cheap contracts on the books when you're entering repeater tax.
If you were huge on resigning Niang, then you got what you wanted, no?

You know, for having the supposed best player in the NBA, the Nuggets sure do lose a lot of freaking games.

You know, for having the supposed best player in the NBA, the Nuggets sure do lose a lot of freaking games.
Nuggets are without Murray. Take Rudy/Don away from us and we'd lose a lot of games too.

Joker is a freaking stud and the Nuggets are a damn good team. If Murray comes back and plays at just 75 percent, then they'll be one of the top teams I want us to avoid until the WCF. In fact, a healthy Murray might make them the favorites out of the west.

Nuggets are without Murray. Take Rudy/Don away from us and we'd lose a lot of games too.

Joker is a freaking stud and the Nuggets are a damn good team. If Murray comes back and plays at just 75 percent, then they'll be one of the top teams I want us to avoid until the WCF. In fact, a healthy Murray might make them the favorites out of the west.

They are soft as Charmin. Murray isn't going to be a difference maker this year. He may play, but he won't be SuperMurray. They still drop a lot of games they shouldn't, even accounting for injury.

They are soft as Charmin. Murray isn't going to be a difference maker this year. He may play, but he won't be SuperMurray. They still drop a lot of games they shouldn't, even accounting for injury.
Charmin hurts my butt hole.

Oni hasn’t played since his horrendous four mins of play against the Kings on Oct 22nd. The combination of Oni playing 1+ mins and JC going 0 for double digits from 3 would be a disaster. Quin may win COY if Oni ends the season with 80 DNP’s

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Oni hasn’t played since his horrendous four mins of play against the Kings on Oct 22nd. The combination of Oni playing 1+ mins and JC going 0 for double digits from 3 would be a disaster. Quin may win COY if Oni ends the season with 80 DNP’s

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Oni was +19.5 in 367 real minutes last year. We going to forget about that completely because he had 4 bad minutes?

I think the only reason Niang wasn't brought back was a product of the Jazz being over the cap. Where if he did re-sign with the Jazz at 3.3 (who knows what he and his agent were asking from the Jazz) then it would be what, around 7mil to the Jazz?

Not a huge amount for these are the kind of things that happen when operating over the cap for multiple years.

This six game Eastern road trip with a random home game against the Kings in the middle of it is kind of Bollucks. I guess getting it now instead of later is good. 10 games into the schedule we have finished 40% of our total Eastern conference road schedule.

I think the only reason Niang wasn't brought back was a product of the Jazz being over the cap. Where if he did re-sign with the Jazz at 3.3 (who knows what he and his agent were asking from the Jazz) then it would be what, around 7mil to the Jazz?

Not a huge amount for these are the kind of things that happen when operating over the cap for multiple years.

Where would he have played? We replaced him with Rudy Gay. He would have been third string. He may have liked the Jazz, but he is a better play than third string.

I like Niang. I suspected he would get $5 - $7 million per year based on his performance with the Jazz last year. I think he took a big hit in the playoffs which drove his price WAY down.

If I were the Jazz, I would have signed Niang again at $3.3 Million and moved on from Elijah Hughes. Cost difference? $1.7 million. Tax hit? Sizeable. Likely around $5 or $6 million in taxes. Playability? Hughes will get garbage minutes while Niang would push for the 8th man. Perhaps he would have given us a discount to stay in Utah? Say, $500,000 in discounts to be replaced by a minivan dealership promotional that he would make up that way (saving the Jazz $3,000,000 a la Udonis Haslem).

But I get that it would have been a hard call and I am happy for Niang.