What's new

Obama supports Mosque

This is just a reminder, the resistance of the building has nothing to do with racism but in respecting those fallen on 9/11....

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...ise-at-dueling-NYC-mosque-demonstrations.html

Opponents of the $100 million project two blocks from the World Trade Center site appeared to outnumber supporters. Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" blared over loudspeakers as mosque opponents chanted, "No mosque, no way!"

Signs hoisted by dozens of protesters standing behind police barricades read "SHARIA" — using dripping, blood-red letters to describe Islam's Shariah law, which governs Muslims' behavior.

Steve Ayling, a 40-year-old Brooklyn plumber, said the people behind the mosque project are "the same people who took down the twin towers."

Opponents demand that the mosque be moved farther from the site where more than 2,700 people were killed on Sept. 11, 2001. "They should put it in the Middle East," Ayling said.

On a nearby sidewalk, police chased away a group that unfurled a banner with images of beating, stoning and other torture they said was committed by those who followed Islamic law.

A mannequin wearing a keffiyeh, a traditional Arab headdress, was mounted on one of two mock missiles that were part of an anti-mosque installation. One missile was inscribed with the words: "Again? Freedom Targeted by Religion"; the other with "Obama: With a middle name Hussein. We understand. Bloomberg: What is your excuse?"

Sometimes I just shake my head... Can Americans really be so dumb? With the outrageous election with jokes like Palin, the birthers, the tea partiiers, then with that big health care scare, now with illegal immigration and this, it's so unbelievably sad to me that many are so ignorant.

For a country that prides itself on freedom, enlightenment, and education, we sure do have some pretty asinine people in our society.

Sometimes I just shake my head... Can Americans really be so dumb? With the outrageous election with jokes like Palin, the birthers, the tea partiiers, then with that big health care scare, now with illegal immigration and this, it's so unbelievably sad to me that many are so ignorant.

For a country that prides itself on freedom, enlightenment, and education, we sure do have some pretty asinine people in our society.

About a week ago I read a statistic that something like 15-20% of Americans think Pres. Obama is Muslim. This despite the large Rev Wright controversy when he was running for office! So, yes, sadly, apparently Americans CAN really be so dumb.

edit: here are the details; 18% was the number: https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100819/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_poll_obama_s_religion

Like any other religion, people interpret the Koran (and lesser docuemnts) differently. Sharia law, which is teh interpretation of the commands of Allah, will vary widely from Muslim to Muslim. The common elements are basically the Five Pillars, a version of the Ten Commandments, and a handful of prohibitions.

This is correct, the reality of it all is that perception changes from person to person, what I view might be quite different from what you view as such in Sharia law or any thing from dogs mingling with cats to the rise and fall of the mail man. The Mosque should be built, they own the land that it is in, freedom of religion in the United States is what makes the country quite different and special compared to others.

Imagine that on Sept. 11, 2001, a group of crazy fundamentalist Christians bombed a tower in the Middle East — let's say, Iran. Hundreds or even thousands of lives were lost, including both people who worked in the tower and emergency responders. Now, nine years later, would anybody even consider building a Catholic cathedral, a Baptist church, or an LDS meetinghouse two blocks away from the site of that tragedy?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700057567/Tactless-to-build-mosque.html

LOL.... Apples to apples... Now we're using Iran as a comparison to justify our positions. Awesome.
?

Actually the counter to this is simple, Iran as a whole has had a history with almost every major religion known to Man, old armenian orthodox statements concerning the spread of Christianity actually site that one of the twelve apostles did go to ancient Parthia and spread the religion, it was Matthew if my memory serves me right, in actuality there are a lot of Persian saints in Catholicism most of which were trying to spread its beliefs to the Parthia which was governed by Zoroastrianism at that time, heck I believe there is even a Mormon meeting house in Iran, Ill have to check.

Thriller is right, Obama should be involved in saving the US economy and creating more jobs. Ive been to Iran a few weeks back and the sanctions are actually working against them, more of the people are starting to believe Mahmood and the gang, a pity really, this style has only worked against the Vietnamese and in a sense Libya.