What's new

Game Thread Oct 19, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 10-19-22

Denver's defense was really soft tonight. They didn't cut off driving lanes, they left perimeter shooters, they didn't box out for rebounds. Jazz were able to drive and kick effectively. Jazz won't score like this against most teams.
Jamal Murray and Michael Porter jr played really reserved, their not comfortable yet. Denver played bad they weren't ready.

Anyone else notice us isolating Joker and exploiting a matchup repeatedly rather than mindlessly Chuck away 3s? Again, what a concept.

We abused Joker like teams used to abuse Boozer, Kanter, and in some ways Rudy (when they’d go ultra small). I hope to see that continue. It’s just smart simple ball.
Will Hardy is the real deal folks! He doesn’t deserve a four year hitch as a tank commander.

The funny thing is that Jokic was playing way off him and he still beat him. Watching the game thinking I don’t think Mitchell was ever that fast! Of course, in all fairness, Sexton still has a long way to go to catch Mitchell in the skill/bag of tricks category.
Jokic seemed to be sure Sexton will pass the ball to Markkanen or Conley. The very moment Sexton makes his move, Joker swings slightly to the left. The move Joker made was not big, but big enough Sexton got past him, and as Gay had pulled his man to the same side as Markkanen and Conley, Sexton had lots of room to his left (to the right of Jokic). Seemed to me this was a game-plan the coach had made, spesifically to get past Jokic (you need space to get around his long arms), as Conley was very clearly shouting out to Gay to get next to Markkanen and thus make room on the left.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiJOINuH_Ug

What in the actual ****? We won by 20? lol!

I expected Kessler and Lauri to play well... but seeing Gay ball out was a shock.

Sexton really can put the foot down … definitely a step faster than Mitchell , an absolute luxury coming off the bench

JV was just energy , after he got his 5th foul and sat, Denver started to make a comeback .

Kessler has hands Rudy can only dream of , and far , FAR better foot work .

To see Danny stand and appalled , yes everyone wants #1 draft pick , but as a team I have followed for over 30 years , we are just to proud to do that .

This team is better than I thought. Almost doesn’t make sense for me to continue rooting for L’s
I’m as big a supporter for losing games and getting at least a top two pick. I started out rooting for an L but had so much fun watching this team play I all of a sudden changed and wanted them to win so bad. This may be the deepest team we’ve ever had.

These type of wins happen at the start of the season. Bad teams don't know they are bad yet. I think the tank is still in good shape, but have the following concerns:

- Rudy Gay looks bought in.
- Conley is playing too many minutes
- Kessler might be too good. He is our only real rim protector and just makes winning plays.

The front office can take care of the first two concerns.

That was really fun. Ironically, this is the first W I’ve got to see in person in years. Collin “Young Bull” Sexton had me dying of laughter when he was ramping up for that last drive on Jokic lol. I hope he’s good, he has the best nickname in the league.

I also thought Denver was really bad last night. For some reason they were doing hockey rotations. Their bench is just awful, especially when Deandre was out there. There’s no question we had more talent on the floor once Jokic subbed out. They also bailed us out several times with really bad fouls.

But a win is a win, and this game wasn’t close. The team was really hustling and looking to make plays on defense, a stark difference from the “Gobert do everything” defense. I also thought it was pretty good night for Will Hardy. He pulled the right strings at the end of the game to close it out. Clarkson was killing us and I was really interested if he was willing to bench him. He did and Collin Sexton had some big plays.

Last edited:
Sexton really can put the foot down … definitely a step faster than Mitchell , an absolute luxury coming off the bench

JV was just energy , after he got his 5th foul and sat, Denver started to make a comeback .

Kessler has hands Rudy can only dream of , and far , FAR better foot work .

To see Danny stand and appalled , yes everyone wants #1 draft pick , but as a team I have followed for over 30 years , we are just to proud to do that .
Being too proud to do the smart thing is what puts people in an early grave.

I'm still shocked we won. We seriously have what? Four guys on our roster from last season? Like nine guys from trades and we signed the rest?

When I was in 10th grade our JV team started 5-0 and varsity started 0-5.

The assistant varsity coach told the JV coach he didn't know how we kept winning as we looked like a bunch of ragamuffins out there. We would typically outplay the varsity in practice and the varsity head coach would get pissed off and take me and the two other JV guys who also played varsity (we typically got garbage minutes in varsity games) and he would have us sub in for the varsity to cease getting clowned by the JV team in practice.

If game one means anything Jazz are the ragamuffins who somehow win.