What's new

Game Thread Oct 27, 2023 07:30PM MT: Jazz vs. Clippers

Added to Calendar: 10-27-23

ya and in one game we were blown out and the other game he didn't get many minutes for whatever reason. Maybe Hardy cares if the ball goes in/about counting stats? Idk.

Last year he got 20 minutes per game as a rookie who coach wouldn't even play for a big chunk of the year.
This season he is getting 16 per game. If he is looking great and playing better then its a strange move by hardy to play him less.
Yeah, it generally isn't a great sign if your minutes drop after your rookie season. Not sure if Hardy's trying to send him a message or something. It's very early, though.

ya and in one game we were blown out and the other game he didn't get many minutes for whatever reason. Maybe Hardy cares if the ball goes in/about counting stats? Idk.

Last year he got 20 minutes per game as a rookie who coach wouldn't even play for a big chunk of the year.
This season he is getting 16 per game. If he is looking great and playing better then its a strange move by hardy to play him less.

Agbaji has missed 6 shots over two games, I really doubt Hardy cares about that.

As far as playing time, I think Hardy coaches by feel and the lineups Agbaji was playing in weren't working, so he played other lineups that looked better, whether that was on Agbaji or not. Also, this year is going to be rough on guys expecting to get minutes. Besides Lauri, guys will have up and down games with their minutes. We have more guys that need minutes than minutes available.

If you have specific examples of Agbaji not looking good, besides him missing 6 shots over 2 games, then it's possible I missed them. It's also possible that Hardy is seeing things I'm not. The box score stuff just isn't very relevant to me, and make me feel like you aren't really watching.

Strange lineups and rotations is kinda Hardy’s calling card by the looks of things.

Belated thoughts:

- I really liked what I saw from Keyonte. Maybe he's trying to be on his best behavior since he's a rookie and just carving out a spot in the rotation, but right now he plays so differently than our other guards, it's like a breath of fresh air. He's very quick but isn't trying to go 100mph all the time or overdribble his way inside. He seems to have a knack for picking his spots, which will serve him well when his minutes inevitably increase. Keyonte may not be a 100% natural PG either, but he probably has the most "feel" for the position out of everyone in the guard rotation. Happy with this guy so far.

- Collins is playing well too. His defensive intensity comes and goes, but that's nothing new. He was never known as a defender in Atlanta. Offensively, he's been a faultless role player so far. The shot isn't really falling consistently, but it's clear defenses still pay attention to him when he's on the perimeter. That alone is a very important upgrade in the frontcourt rotation.

- This game was a great example of why Dunn isn't the "great defender" many people think he is. A great defender can put the clamps on a guy without fouling and taking undisciplined, unnecessary risks. Dunn almost lost the game by fouling jump shooters at the worst possible time. You can't make those rookie type mistakes anymore when you're almost 30. Kris can be useful when he plays within himself, but that doesn't happen often enough for him to be a starting PG.

- Kessler seems to have lost 50% of his confidence along with some of his minutes. I don't think his Team USA experience was a good one. He rarely saw the floor and Kerr essentially treated him as an end-of-bench stiff who can't be involved in the offense. Stuff like that may leave a mark on a young player who's relentlessly self-critical as it is. Walker hit an early three (he shocked me by even taking it, that's how off he's seemed lately) but was like a ghost after that. Offensively, he's too easy to figure out and neutralize right now, and he must know it.
Dunn is by far your best defender. This is why Hardy put him in when the score was even with 4:40 minutes left in the 4th quarter. And it paid off. He settled our offense, distributed the ball, and made a couple critical buckets, too, before fouling out.

Agreed, surprised to see comments of people down on him. He looks way better to me this year.
Once he figures out he should basically not dribble unless it’s a straight line to the basket and his shot starts falling… then we will have something. He’s not starter quality yet though… but deserves 20 minutes a night for sure.

Too often Dunn drives into the teeth of the defense and tries to pivot and chuck something up. He needs to work on his drive and dish, with heavy emphasis on dish.

Agbaji has missed 6 shots over two games, I really doubt Hardy cares about that.

As far as playing time, I think Hardy coaches by feel and the lineups Agbaji was playing in weren't working, so he played other lineups that looked better, whether that was on Agbaji or not. Also, this year is going to be rough on guys expecting to get minutes. Besides Lauri, guys will have up and down games with their minutes. We have more guys that need minutes than minutes available.

If you have specific examples of Agbaji not looking good, besides him missing 6 shots over 2 games, then it's possible I missed them. It's also possible that Hardy is seeing things I'm not. The box score stuff just isn't very relevant to me, and make me feel like you aren't really watching.
Lol. You think I cant watch a game and review a box score afterwards or go to sports reference to look up stats? Weirdo. I watch all jazz games. I mean I post on the gamethreads as the game is occurring all the time. Since forever. I always admit to not knowing much about the rest of the nba but I know the jazz.

I was simply posting some stats. I didn't say he had looked bad. Just pointed out that despite looking really good his stats are not complimenting his look and his minutes are down possibly as a result (in answer to the posters question about why he isn't playing much)

Maybe coach Hardy is coaching by feel. And he feels like actual production is important. Idk.

Last edited: