What's new

Official Game Thread--12/30/2010: Utah at Portland 8pm MT...FSR-UT/KFNZ

What about our inability to defend Lamarcus Aldridge, he's averaging about 25 points per against us in 3 games, he averages 19 on the season. With Roy out you gotta focus on stopping him and we haven't been able to.

I really don't get this. How do you think we are 22-11? Because of Fes? Or Millsap and Jefferson?
You think playing Fes 35 minutes a night is going to make us better?

Actually because of Deron Williams. Rewatch the game and you will see Aldridge destroy Millsap and Jefferson, he couldn't budge Fesenko. Migit ball doesn't work in the NBA, never has, never will.

What about our inability to defend Lamarcus Aldridge, he's averaging about 25 points per against us in 3 games, he averages 19 on the season. With Roy out you gotta focus on stopping him and we haven't been able to.
For the 2nd-time this week Aldrige proved to be too tall and long for Millsap and too quick for Jefferson. Thought Fes did a nice job on him during the 2nd qtr. That said if you put Marcus Camby, LaMarcus Aldrige, Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson in a snow globe and shake it up, you can't have Camby and Aldrige come out #1 & #2 with Sap and Jefferson a distant 3&4. On paper Al should be right there with Aldrige in terms of production. Sap should be close behind. If both of our starting bigs get outplayed it's tough to win - and next to impossible with CJ, AK and now Memo out.

Actually because of Deron Williams. Rewatch the game and you will see Aldridge destroy Millsap and Jefferson, he couldn't budge Fesenko. Migit ball doesn't work in the NBA, never has, never will.

Next game against Portland we need to see more Fes on Aldridge. Aldridge could not do a thing against Fes. Craig and Dookie (sorry Duke you see I am a NC fan) must have been watching a different game.

I really don't get this. How do you think we are 22-11? Because of Fes? Or Millsap and Jefferson?
You think playing Fes 35 minutes a night is going to make us better?

Wow have no idea how you got that out of my post. Definitely did not say Fes should play 35 minutes or that Millsap or Jefferson have been bad this season. Talking about this game.

DukeJazz, you seriously underrate Matthews.

For one, like Archie said he IS better this year

For two, he busts his butt out there. Not a hustler, who are you watching?

Yes, he probably is a better defender NOW than Bell is today

He also is a more consistent shooter; Bell has always been streaky

Matthews also is better in the open court and extremely fast, as quick as many point guards, something I noticed the beginning of last year but not many people have mentioned. He's also very strong, like Deron, which is why he is able to get to the line a lot, going to the hoop, and allows him to finish after taking the hit.

The thing that is best about Matthews is that he is a clutch player and makes the big plays when you need them. This is what really made me so high on him last year.

I was maybe his biggest booster on the board early last year and also one of the most vehement about matching the Portland offer. Turns out I was right. But like NotDeadYet said, it was probably the Millers' decision not to spend the money, because we already know if it was up to Jerry, we would've matched -- you might recall the conversation I had with Clifford Ray, the former Bulls center who played with Jerry.

It's too bad. We had the two-guard we've been searching for, for the last decade, and we let him go because of unwise financial decisions in the past. However, I think this was one that would've paid off down the road.

You guys are arguing over something ridiculous.

We couldn't resign Matthews or any decent FA for that matter, with Kirilenko's contract hanging over our heads. If you're ticked off about anything, it's that.

Raja's signing was cutting our losses with Matthews. It was the most we could do given our financial situation.

However, had we of treated this Kirilenko cancer for the year's we've had it, it wouldn't have proven fatal as it has with Matthews. If we could have unloaded it for expiring contracts, we might have had more money the last few summers to spend in the FA market.

Raja's contract or play isn't killing us. He's earning very little and is producing very little. Which was expected, no one thought this was the 2004 version of Raja Bell. But Kirilenko is earning a ton and is producing very little.

That's what hurts.

In what way is a streaky player like matthews a clutch player? He gets alot of turnovers and misses alot of shots. Also the only reason matthews gets 15 ppg is because portland has no offense other than aldridge. We have millsap,jefferson,miles,d will that score alot for us. On our team matthews would get 10 ppg if that. Bell and matthews are streaky shooters. Extrememly fast? Hes not even close to how fast ronnie brewer was. Extremely fast is not true. IMO deron williams is stronger than matthews. You never see matthews post up on other shooting gusrads and finish alot down low. Also matthews can not create his own shot. In what way is matthews a clutch player? A streaky shooter is definitely not clutch on offense. Also hes not an amazing defender. I just like shooting guards that can shoot and don't get alot of turnovers if we had matthews he is NOT the answer. Bell isn't either but at leats bell doesn't get alot of turnovers.

About the game:

#1 The Jazz's offense is stagnant most of the time. Something's gotta give. Perhaps with a trade for a 2 or 3?
#2 The Jazz don't take away any options on defense. The Spurs play passing lanes, angles, and their undersized bigs (like Blair) use their quickness. Man times they front big men (like Aldrich) to force a lob pass. The lob pass is defended on the back side by another big. It's not a perfect defense, but it makes it harder for bigmen like Aldrich to get clean looks. Also, the Spurs trap opposing guards. We rarely trap. Instead, we let Miller, MIlls, and Matthews calmly bring the ball up the floor and get into their offense.

Sadly, I'm just not seeing much innovation in our strategies right now.

#3 This team has a huge limitation, which is the following, NO ONE OTHER THAN DERON CAN CREATE THEIR OWN SHOTS! Once again, even the old Spurs have Ginobli along with Parker who can create. We on the other hand have NO ONE that can create. Not one soul. We desperately need another 2 or 3 that can take some pressure off Deron. Because teams are basically just parking in the lane (often in a zone defense) and cutting off Deron's penetration. When that happens, the offense comes to a screeching halt.

In what way is a streaky player like matthews a clutch player? He gets alot of turnovers and misses alot of shots. Also the only reason matthews gets 15 ppg is because portland has no offense other than aldridge. We have millsap,jefferson,miles,d will that score alot for us. On our team matthews would get 10 ppg if that. Bell and matthews are streaky shooters. Extrememly fast? Hes not even close to how fast ronnie brewer was. Extremely fast is not true. IMO deron williams is stronger than matthews. You never see matthews post up on other shooting gusrads and finish alot down low. Also matthews can not create his own shot. In what way is matthews a clutch player? A streaky shooter is definitely not clutch on offense. Also hes not an amazing defender. I just like shooting guards that can shoot and don't get alot of turnovers if we had matthews he is NOT the answer. Bell isn't either but at leats bell doesn't get alot of turnovers.

The question shouldn't be Matthews or Bell.

The question should be Matthews and any other FA or Kirilenko? Unfortunately, this question has been answered over the past few years. It's clearly a huge mistake too.

The Jazz have a serious issue going forward that cropped up again last night. Deron is clearly our best player and engine that makes us work. So what do the other teams do? They guard him with a bigger player to disrupt the offense. Last night they had Matthews guard him and it worked fairly well. It won't always work as sometimes the bigger guy will just be too slow and DWill take him.

But the jazz do nothing to make the other teams pay for this strategy. If your bigger 2 guard is on Deron, that means your smaller pg is guarding a bigger guy. When was the last time you saw the Jazz try to take advantage of this to make them reverse this strategy? Did you see Raja post up Miller even once last night? Even try to?

They better work on this or they are going to see a steady diet and it will make life difficult for DWill. I think when this happens, sub in CJ immediately and have him post up the opposing PG (does Raja have any postup ability?, never seen it).

About the game:

#1 The Jazz's offense is stagnant most of the time. Something's gotta give. Perhaps with a trade for a 2 or 3?
#2 The Jazz don't take away any options on defense. The Spurs play passing lanes, angles, and their undersized bigs (like Blair) use their quickness. Man times they front big men (like Aldrich) to force a lob pass. The lob pass is defended on the back side by another big. It's not a perfect defense, but it makes it harder for bigmen like Aldrich to get clean looks. Also, the Spurs trap opposing guards. We rarely trap. Instead, we let Miller, MIlls, and Matthews calmly bring the ball up the floor and get into their offense.

Sadly, I'm just not seeing much innovation in our strategies right now.

#3 This team has a huge limitation, which is the following, NO ONE OTHER THAN DERON CAN CREATE THEIR OWN SHOTS! Once again, even the old Spurs have Ginobli along with Parker who can create. We on the other hand have NO ONE that can create. Not one soul. We desperately need another 2 or 3 that can take some pressure off Deron. Because teams are basically just parking in the lane (often in a zone defense) and cutting off Deron's penetration. When that happens, the offense comes to a screeching halt.

Big al and millsap can create there own shots.

The Jazz have a serious issue going forward that cropped up again last night. Deron is clearly our best player and engine that makes us work. So what do the other teams do? They guard him with a bigger player to disrupt the offense. Last night they had Matthews guard him and it worked fairly well. It won't always work as sometimes the bigger guy will just be too slow and DWill take him.

But the jazz do nothing to make the other teams pay for this strategy. If your bigger 2 guard is on Deron, that means your smaller pg is guarding a bigger guy. When was the last time you saw the Jazz try to take advantage of this to make them reverse this strategy? Did you see Raja post up Miller even once last night? Even try to?

They better work on this or they are going to see a steady diet and it will make life difficult for DWill. I think when this happens, sub in CJ immediately and have him post up the opposing PG (does Raja have any postup ability?, never seen it).

Exactly not having cj really hurt us tonight. Also no memo or ak.

I didn't watch the game at all. Can someone tell me why Al Jefferson only had 9 shot attempts?
Because he wasn't able to make quick decisive moves or find the open man last night.
When Al would post-up on the left block, he would take 2 dribbles and then Portland would run Andre Miller (guarding Bell) at him from across the court. Not only was Al late recognizing it, but he would pass the ball to the top of the key to Millsap rather than cross-court to Bell who was open, allowing Portland to recovering and forcing the Jazz to go one-on-one with the shotclock winding down.