What's new

Official Game Thread--12/30/2010: Utah at Portland 8pm MT...FSR-UT/KFNZ

You shoot better, rebound better, your bench outscore their bench and you still lose. Amazing. How do you do it? By having freaking 17 TOs. (and also missing your FTs, Fesenko once again, just 3-8)

You forgot to mention the refs. A lot of those turnovers were offensive fouls and they were completely crap.
How the hell does Ronnie Price foul out? Really? Serious?

You shoot better, rebound better, your bench outscore their bench and you still lose. Amazing. How do you do it? By having freaking 17 TOs. (and also missing your FTs, Fesenko once again, just 3-8)

Ya I really don't think fez is going to be a long time jazz man he just doesn't really contribute other than size. Makes me mess jarron collins.

You forgot to mention the refs. A lot of those turnovers were offensive fouls and they were completely crap.
How the hell does Ronnie Price foul out? Really? Serious?

Yes when they called a late charge on millsaps jumpshot that's when i freake dout and threw my food at the tv. How can you call a late charge on a jumpshot?

You think wes is a better defender than bell?lol. Wes doesn't even put a hand in there face. Hes a turnover machine and streaky shooter too. Brewer was way more of a hustler than wes is too. Wes isn't really good at anything. Name something he excels in?

It's embarrassing you feel this way. Seriously, embarrassing. Matthews averages 1.8 TO's in 30 minutes of play that does not = TO machine, guy. He shoots 45% from the floor. (Not many SG's shoot better than that.) Matthews excels at drawing fouls and getting to the line. He shoots 84% from the foul line. He is the definition of hustle. He averages more steals, rebounds, points, assists, and shoots better than Raja. And he's a better defender than Raja.

The good thing about these last 3-4 games is Sloan's trust in Hayward and Hayward coming through. When everyone gets back, Hayward will be the 8th or 9th man. That bodes well for bench strength.
Miles, Okur, Hayward, Elson/Fess,Watson -pretty decent bench.

WHat? YOu really think Mathews is going to make us that much better?
I'm just bitter tonight Craig because Wes torched us on both ends. He was a blanket on D, keeping the ball away from Deron, and he hit his shots. I do think that at this piont in their careers that Wes is better than Bell. Bell brings veteran leadership and some decent D, but other than that I'm not sure. Overall, we were just too short handed tonight.

Ya I really don't think fez is going to be a long time jazz man he just doesn't really contribute other than size. Makes me mess jarron collins.

Are you serious? Fes did an outstanding job on defense. Jefferson and Millsap were horrible. Aldridge scored at will against Jefferson. We will need Fes to guard the big guys out there. Of course he needs to shoot his free throws better, but he and Evans gave us a chance tonight.

The good thing about these last 3-4 games is Sloan's trust in Hayward and Hayward coming through. When everyone gets back, Hayward will be the 8th or 9th man. That bodes well for bench strength.
Miles, Okur, Hayward, Elson/Fess,Watson -pretty decent bench.

Agree here. These injury-riddled games are a good chance to get the depths of the bench some time. It will be good in the long run, I'm sure. Even Fesenko was decent, although I noticed many posessions where he was wide open in the post and they wouldn't pass it to him - likely because they know he sucks at FT's and would be hacked on purpose. That's a liability.

I'm just bitter tonight Craig because Wes torched us on both ends. He was a blanket on D, keeping the ball away from Deron, and he hit his shots. I do think that at this piont in their careers that Wes is better than Bell. Bell brings veteran leadership and some decent D, but other than that I'm not sure. Overall, we were just too short handed tonight.

I seriously think the refs were awful. The jazz made 2 runs in the second half and each time, the refs made a bunch of calls against the jazz and gave it back to the blazers.
Remember these:

at the end of the first half, Deron gets the ball on a rebound, someone knocks him to the floor,
the ball rolls to Aldridge who makes a shot.
In the second half, Earl in dribbling the ball up the floor on a semi-break. Someone reaches in and clobbers him, knocking
him to the floor and the ball rolls out of bounds...ref signals blazer ball.
All the crazy offensive fouls, 3 of them called on Ronnie and not one of them was legit. The blazers were flopping
all over the place because they knew the refs were whistle-happy.

I feel like swearing. It was pathetic.

The blazers played a smothering defense tonight and the refs let them get away with a lot of holding and pushing. But when the jazz tried to play tough D, the whistles blew. The blazers were also handsomely rewarded for flopping.
Very easy to play with confidence when you know the refs are there ready to suck you dik.

As for Wes...I just am not going to worry about it. He is capable of good games like tonight, but he's not consistent
But really so what. Very few people back in July thought the jazz should have matched the offer. Go look at Wes's boxscore from the Jazz/Blazer game in SLC and then look at how he did against Denver the other night.

I'll save you the effort.
He was 4-14 vs the jazz and 1-8 against the Nugs.

It's embarrassing you feel this way. Seriously, embarrassing. Matthews averages 1.8 TO's in 30 minutes of play that does not = TO machine, guy. He shoots 45% from the floor. (Not many SG's shoot better than that.) Matthews excels at drawing fouls and getting to the line. He shoots 84% from the foul line. He is the definition of hustle. He averages more steals, rebounds, points, assists, and shoots better than Raja. And he's a better defender than Raja.

When you are a shooting guard that's alot. Especially when you average more turnovers than assists.Raja bell is a way better passer than matthews and makes smarter plays. You want more assists than your turnover ratio. That's why most guards have it. Did you seriously just say most shooting guards don't shoot better than that?45%? Yes he is good at getting to the foul line and making free throws. I will give him that.Did you know theres more to basketball than just stats? He is not the definition of hustle. He is not really athletic. He does not provide a ton of energy. He is not a good finisher around the hoop or finishing after being fouled. He gets more steals because raja doesn't reach in he plays good on ball d. Matthews gambles more. He scores more because hes the only one shooting when the jazz have more important people to shoot like millsap al d will cj. He does shoot better but it's not a high enough percentage to brag about. Also his assists to turnover ratio is horrible so his assists are worthless.

Tonight bells streaky shooting helped him. Last time we played portland he shot 4-14 with 5 tunovers. Hes way to streaky to be a starter.

Are you serious? Fes did an outstanding job on defense. Jefferson and Millsap were horrible. Aldridge scored at will against Jefferson. We will need Fes to guard the big guys out there. Of course he needs to shoot his free throws better, but he and Evans gave us a chance tonight.

lol how did fez play "outstanding" on defense?I really don't think it was fez that was the big part of leading us back.

I really don't get this. How do you think we are 22-11? Because of Fes? Or Millsap and Jefferson?
You think playing Fes 35 minutes a night is going to make us better?

Sounds like the Jazz are doing some serious soul searching after this loss. Looking forward to seeing how we bounce back from this reality check.

We don't have enough people on the bench to provide scoring besides cj. Especially when hayword starts our bench is liek gone.

On this whole Bell vs Maththews debate, I remember KOC saying that Bell's addition and production in the next 3 years was expected to be more along the lines of what Bowen did for the Spurs in the last few years. Meaning, some defense, some leadership and making your open threes when you get a chance. So far, Bell has'nt been that great with the last part but that doesnt mean he is useless. He is not a designated scorer for this Jazz team who was supposed to average close to 18 ppg and is instead struggling to average double digits. Let's remember that.
Whereas, AK is supposed to that wing guy who, in the absence of Boozer, was supposed to step up his game and be more consistent and shoot better. He is the designated scoring wing for us. Since he has'nt been that great the last month, frustrated fans are dogging Bell.
Not that I would'nt mind a better SG than Bell, but when you are already paying the MAX to one of your wings, you cant expect an all star at the other position too. By sticking to AK, the Jazz shot themselves in the foot for the long term. This is one of the biggest mistakes the front office made the last decade.
From Larry Miller to Greg to KOC, I wont forgive whoever was responsible for turning down offers for AK 3 years back.

YEs I hate how we payed ak the most rediculous contract ever. He will be lucky to get 1/4 that if we resign him.

Also I think Elson is not healthy not just because of not playing tonight and very little last night but when Sloan took out the starters the tv showed what looked to be the 2 talking if Elson was able to come in and him shaking his head no.