What's new

Official Public Declaration of Exums Future

What will Exum NBA career be?

• Total voters

Ron Mexico

Contributor
Making a public poll (hopefully) so we can all be on record of what we think Exum is going to be. If no poll appears since I cant use the intenets then just post in one sentence or so your prediction of Exums career assuming he stays healthy. We need some thread to pull up and quickly glance at in a couple year to say see you were totally wrong or right or something else.

Also dont get mad at a new thread on the Jamezz told me to and I give into peer pressure on the internet quickly.

Last edited:
I think he will at least be an above average starer in this league but I am hoping for more and see the potential to be great so I am voting for that.

I realize he's young etc...., but I just don't see the aggression confidence. He has speed but his shot doesn't look good and his form is a concern. I voted average starter.

I swear I made the poll public but I dont see where people are voting. Can I change that now?

I swear I made the poll public but I dont see where people are voting. Can I change that now?

It is public. After you vote and can see the result, you just click on the number of votes by a given option to see who voted for it.

Is there an option for "no one has any ****ing idea because he's a 19 year old kid that has never played any where near this level of competition"?

Because that's the only relevant option.

I saw a glimpse in the Nike tourney.. And he has steadily improved. I think he would exceed more in a free flow offense, but he is doing well based on his prior experience.

Is there an option for "no one has any ****ing idea because he's a 19 year old kid that has never played any where near this level of competition"?

Sorry should have made an option for I am not willing to make a prediction and put myself out there to be wrong.

Obviously no one knows for sure that is why we are guessing what we think he will be based on what we have seen so far.

I realize he's young etc...., but I just don't see the aggression confidence. He has speed but his shot doesn't look good and his form is a concern. I voted average starter.

Same vote for me and for pretty much the same reason. To be a star you have to have the skills AND desire. Dante has some raw talent: speed and length. But he's soft as Charmin. And on the other end we have a guy with attitude but lacking skills, Trey.

In 4 years we may have neither on the team.

And as a Jazz fan I hope I'm dead wrong about Dante.

Exum reminds me of a little lamb. Long legs, lots of energy, awkward and timid. It is the timidness that concerns me most. I was pleased to see him challenge Clarkson last night, even if Clarkson dunked on him it showed there is some fight in him.

I have moderately low expectations, but I will be cheering for him.

Bah at the very least he will be one of the best defenders from the point guard spot which is pretty darn rare, so just based on that skill he will be better than average. If 5 years (Hayward's age) he could easily be the best defender at pg in the league. He doesn't seem much of a wilting flower on Defense, which doesn't seem to make it a temperament issue, just an experience problem. . .

I said average. I can also see above average. But a star is a bit of a reach. Stars usually are very tough and competitive.

This
And this for me.
Average starter is most likely I think.

Due to his draft position and us lacking a good point guard he will have every opportunity to play....... I'm of the opinion that if you get lots of minutes and touches then you will usually put up some decent numbers (though exum is proving that theory wrong this season)

He will be fine, more experience against top flight competition plus with Quin and staff working with him he will be above average starter

Considering his draft class, there won't be much sadness that the 5th pick was him. But nevertheless he will be a bust. He will get better but be a bust considered his draft spot. I don't believe that he will become an NBA average player.

He will be fine, more experience against top flight competition plus with Quin and staff working with him he will be above average starter
I am very happy that Quin is the coach working with him
Raises my hopes considerably

Quinn took DMC from scrappy workhorse to elite defender and shooter.

Exum will be a got damn freaking superstar.

Pros...

Good NBA body, and he is long
Flashes some nice passing skills, and dribbling skills. (But not real often)
Good Attitude/Good guy
Good defender

Cons...

Lacks elite athleticism
Timid
Shot looks weird

I still think he has a chance to be an above average starter, but I don't see a star, I also don't rule it out because he is so young and he does have enough physical tools to become something. I'm not gonna give up on him yet.

Honestly though, if we could redo the draft, I'd rather take Zach Lavine. His future is still up in the air, but I'd say he has a better chance at becoming a star. I don't think he is just a dunker. He can shoot it pretty well already, and has nice handles. Also, isn't afraid. If he works hard, the sky is the limit for him.

Over the next ten years or so, we could see different phases of who is the better point guard from this draft. Zach Lavine could become an early star, but never become truly great because he relies on his athleticism too much. While Exum could take a long time to develop, but eventually become the better player, because he becomes a smarter player.

For me it's really hard to say.

If he doesn't dramatically increase his aggression and learns to finish around the rim he's going to bust. It's just really hard in today's NBA to be a successful PG if you don't either have great shooting or are good going to the rim. I don't see him ever being a great shooter in the league, so I think his success will be dependent on his ability to finish in the paint/draw fouls. If he's able to do that, it will open up his game a lot, he'd be able to draw defenders to him in the paint and drop passes inside or kick them to the perimeter for open shooters.

Right now nobody helps on him simply because they know he's not likely to attack and look to score, everybody sticks with their man in the paint and they let him guard himself with his timidity.

I think there is a small chance he will never be able to be consistent offensive player, but defensively he's already showing great promise, so I think the chance he'd be a below average PG is small, but it exists.

I'd say the chances are 15/25/45/15: below average/average starter/above average starter/all-star level PG.