What's new

Official Public Declaration of Exums Future

What will Exum NBA career be?

• Total voters
It's funny that a lot are on here whining about how bad Exum is. All I know is he has potential to be a superstar.

And, with all of his struggles, we were 14-28 with a winning % of .333 with him not starting.

As a starter, we are 9-7, a winning % of .563, against a very tough SOS.

The kid makes a difference on the court, even if his stats suck. Wait until he gets a little confidence.

It's funny that a lot are on here whining about how bad Exum is. All I know is he has potential to be a superstar.

And, with all of his struggles, we were 14-28 with a winning % of .333 with him not starting.

As a starter, we are 9-7, a winning % of .563,
against a very tough SOS.

The kid makes a difference on the court, even if his stats suck. Wait until he gets a little confidence.

#rudygobert

As a starter, we are 9-7, a winning % of .563, against a very tough SOS.

Also trey burke has been shooting great during the win streak
Yes, fishonjazz, you are correct. While I don't doubt Exum's 25% FG percentage was CRUCIAL in helping us win in February, the PG who really made the difference was Trey.

Even at that, Trey has only shot 40% overall in February. But he increased his 3PT percentage to 37%. Just imagine how good this team could be with a real NBA PG.

Also trey burke has been shooting great during the win streak
Right, there are a lot of reasons the Jazz are better in Feb and Jan than they were in Nov and Dec. Mainly, they had a new coach and with that, if that coach is good and guys buy in, there will be significant natural improvement. Second, Gobert's increased role. Getting rid of an unhappy teammate, etc.

I think he'll be a quality starter and a multiple (2-4) time all-star.

I see a little Rondo in his game, personally (better shooter, though). I think he will be elite defensively (great length, quickness), a pass-first/great vision point guard, great handle, but not an elite scoring threat.

I did not vote as no category seems to fit what I think. What I think is that the young man in question is a complete enigma. You can see the talent he has (not very worried about his form, shooting ability). But I cannot think of any NBA rookie or any player for that matter who offensively shows the lack of confidence and aggression that he sticks to night after night. You can virtually count on the fingers of one hand the times this season when he has taken the ball to the basket with a clear intention to shoot. Those situations when he does are entirely (it seems to me) when he has no other choice and a completely clear path to the basket. The broadcast crew hints sometimes that the Jazz (staff) wants and urges him to be more aggressive offensively. If that's true it is even more puzzling that he refuses to. He cannot succeed if he only takes open threes by hanging out in the corners all night, and having no other part to his offense. He is quick, jumps well and is athletic enough so why, why, why? I realize his youth and lack of experience but still I find this very odd. Any thoughts on this from you guys?

His defense is quite good for his age so no problem there.

I did not vote as no category seems to fit what I think. What I think is that the young man in question is a complete enigma. You can see the talent he has (not very worried about his form, shooting ability). But I cannot think of any NBA rookie or any player for that matter who offensively shows the lack of confidence and aggression that he sticks to night after night. You can virtually count on the fingers of one hand the times this season when he has taken the ball to the basket with a clear intention to shoot. Those situations when he does are entirely (it seems to me) when he has no other choice and a completely clear path to the basket. The broadcast crew hints sometimes that the Jazz (staff) wants and urges him to be more aggressive offensively. If that's true it is even more puzzling that he refuses to. He cannot succeed if he only takes open threes by hanging out in the corners all night, and having no other part to his offense. He is quick, jumps well and is athletic enough so why, why, why? I realize his youth and lack of experience but still I find this very odd. Any thoughts on this from you guys?

Both he and Quin have said that publicly, so no secrets there.

I think it's a little odd, too. Has he ever had an injury? Maybe he's afraid of getting hurt. The size of the NBA dudes must be daunting.

I have been wondering for several days something about Exum. I think the reason a lot of people are really down on him is because most people don't see defensive impact as much as they do offensive impact, especially with rookies. According to most people who watch him regularly, he's already flashed elite defensive potential and is already impacting the game in defense more than a lot of other rookies. On the other hand his offensive game has been series of struggles and very little to be optimistic about.

I wonder if the perception of Exum would have been the same if the defensive and offensive impact he has on games were switched - what if he was playing offense at the level he's playing defense right now, but his defense was as clueless and horrible as his offensive game is right now? I feel like people would have been much happier and optimistic with him. Or am I completely wrong about that one?

I just listened to 3 interviews from this morning practice(I guess the journos made it a point to ask about Exum):

Q: What's the next step for Dante, is it just being more aggressive and confident?
Quin Snyder: I think, that's part of it. There are some skills, too, and some strength and some things that are real areas of improvement. Just his strength and his physicality... I think in the next year or two we are going to look at him and go "Wow! He's really grown physically" and I think the same is true about his ability to get in the paint and create and use his tools in a game situation.
----------
Q: What's the next step that Dante can take on that side of the ball(offensively)?
Gordon Hayward: I think, just being more aggressive. Knowing when to take his shots. [He] seems a little passive and that's pretty normal as a rookie, he's just out there playing to not mess up. He has to stop thinking and start attacking the basket, I mean he's athletic and long, he can really make plays around the rim... for himself and others. When he does that, he'll be really good."
---------
Q: What do you guys need from Dante on the offensive side of the ball?
Trey Burke: Just for him to be aggressive, you know... he's gonna go through some growing pains. It's the same thing everybody goes through. I went through it last season, so... a guy like him, we just need for him to be aggressive when he gets in the paint and use his length to be able to score over defenders, go to the line. I am sure he will become more aggressive.

stitches-As I said his defense is not a concern. His offense is! You are probably correct about the public perception being improved if his struggles were reversed but that is not why I posted about this situation. Can anyone shed any light on why Dante is not trying to make offensive plays and is just hanging out around the three point line? As I said I find it puzzling since he has all the necessary tools to do so. Is he simply afraid of making mistakes? Is he afraid of looking bad (some people cant face the possibility of being blocked) so they stay out of those situations. I would say that I expect him to look bad at times (offensively and even defensively). I see this as learning to play at this level. But you can't learn to swim by staying out of the pool. In other words I want him to be an all-around player but he seems to be trying to be one dimensional. A solid defensive player with a weak offensive game is not what I want for a high draft choice such as Dante Exum. An example would be young Milsap, he contributes on both ends and seems to expect too. Perhaps it's just as simple as the difference in experience of these two players and I need to be patient with Dante's game and let it flower over 2-3 years. But doesn't he have to start somewhere in exerting himself offensively?

NOW, I see your last reply. That's more of what I was looking for. Patience seems to be what I need more of. But patience is hard to come by when you are 67 years old. I would like to see this happen in my lifetime. If he is simply holding back until he is more confident/ready then I would say he is an extremely unusual person. But, maybe it's the best thing.

Interesting that not one person said, "he needs to improve..." Or "he needs to work on..."

The all said the same thing: Be aggressive.

I agree with Coach. In two years we will look back at this year and be shocked how timid he was his first year.

stitches-As I said his defense is not a concern. His offense is! You are probably correct about the public perception being improved if his struggles were reversed but that is not why I posted about this situation. Can we anyone shed any light on why Dante is not trying to make offensive plays and is just hanging out around the three point line? As I said I find it puzzling since he has all the necessary tools to do so. Is he simply afraid of making mistakes? Is he afraid of looking bad (some people cant face the possibility of being blocked) so they stay out of those situations. I would say that I expect him to look bad at times (offensively and even defensively). I see this as learning to play at this level. But you can't learn to swim by staying out of the pool. In other words I want him to be an all-around player but he seems to be trying to be one dimensional. A solid defensive player with a weak offensive game is not what I want for a high draft choice such as Dante Exum. An example would be young Milsap, he contributes on both ends and seems to expect too. Perhaps it's just as simple as the difference in experience of these two players and I need to be patient with Dante's game and let it flower over 2-3 years. But doesn't he have to start somewhere in exerting himself offensively?

It's the fact that physically he isn't strong enough to get to the paint. He gets pushed around, and when he falls down, it hurts. Once he gets stronger, he will get confidence. Once that happens, watch out. Everything will be better.

Interesting that not one person said, "he needs to improve..." Or "he needs to work on..."

The all said the same thing: Be aggressive.

I agree with Coach. In two years we will look back at this year and be shocked how timid he was his first year.

The questions were aimed particularly at what he can/should be doing right now. Improving probably goes without saying...

He will put on weight this summer and be a lot better. Then again next summer. After the third summer, watch out. Gobert/Exum P&R will be feared league-wide.

I have been wondering for several days something about Exum. I think the reason a lot of people are really down on him is because most people don't see defensive impact as much as they do offensive impact, especially with rookies. According to most people who watch him regularly, he's already flashed elite defensive potential and is already impacting the game in defense more than a lot of other rookies. On the other hand his offensive game has been series of struggles and very little to be optimistic about.
This is what bothers me the most in here. This is so ridiculous, it isn't even funny.
Elite defensive potential for me (for guards) wouldn't be the man-on-man defendings or the hustling to catch his guy in the rotation. If a guard does this (and more), this would be at best a "good" defensive player, never ever elite.
I don't understand you people. You had Stockton in your uniforms. Stockton. It is an insult to this person to call Exum's defensive abilities as elite. Why?
Because what makes you elite (as a guard, in defense) is your capability to make steals and to rebound. Yes, steals and rebounding. From elite guards I expect at least one of those things. This makes a guard elite, in addition to his defensive plays. But Exum doesn't have this, not one a bit of it. So at best, he is a good in defense, never ever elite. But homers overhype and overrate him so much and see "flashes of elite potential". Yeah, in million years.

I wonder if the perception of Exum would have been the same if the defensive and offensive impact he has on games were switched - what if he was playing offense at the level he's playing defense right now, but his defense was as clueless and horrible as his offensive game is right now? I feel like people would have been much happier and optimistic with him. Or am I completely wrong about that one?
No, I agree with you. I would be much happier if his offensive game would be the better one. Why? Because he is a guard, not a center. From guards I expect FIRST ASSISTING. Secondly SHOOTING and then the rest.
A guard who can't shoot or make assists(plays) is nothing worth due he is being a guard. No matter what, this is the most important things for a guard. JJ Barea is for example a liability in defensive game because of this shape(size). But he gets in NBA paid because he can make plays and shoot. He is not elite of course, but you can rely on him as a backup guard easily.
Whereas Exum has nothing to offer yet. Maybe he will develop some skills in the future. Maybe.
In todays basketball everything in offensive side goes through guards. They determine the game. Jazz plays always like 4 vs 5 in the offensive end. And his defensive impact is not by far worth it because he isn't elite or something as I tried to describe.

Last edited:
This is what bothers me the most in here. This is so ridiculous, it isn't even funny.
Elite defensive potential for me (for guards) wouldn't be the man-on-man defendings or the hustling to catch his guy in the rotation. If a guard does this, this would be at best an "good" defensive player, never ever elite.
I don't understand you people. You had Stockton in your uniforms. Stockton. It is an insult to this person to call Exum's defensive abilities as elite. Why?
Because what makes you elite (as a guard, in defense) is your capability to make steals and to rebound. Yes, steals and rebounding. From elite guards I expect at least one of those things. This makes a guard elite, in addition to his defensive plays. But Exum doesn't have this, not one a bit of it. So at best, he is a good in defense, never ever elite. But homers overhype and overrate him so much and see "flashes of elite potential". Yeah, in million years.

No, I agree with you. I would be much happier if his offensive game would be the better one. Why? Because he is a guard, not a center. From guards I expect FIRST ASSISTING. Secondly SHOOTING and then the rest.
A guard who can't shoot or make assists(plays) is nothing worth due he is being a guard. No matter what, this is the most important things for a guard. JJ Barea is for example a liability in defensive game because of this shape(size). But he gets in NBA paid because he can make plays and shoot. He is not elite of course, but you can rely on him as a backup guard easily.
Whereas Exum has nothing to offer yet. Maybe he will develop some skills in the future. Maybe.
In todays basketball everything in offensive side goes through guards. They determine the game. Jazz plays always like 4 vs 5 in the offensive end. And his defensive impact is not by far worth it because he isn't elite or something as I tried to describe.
He's 19 and kept a very quick and aggressive Ty Lawson from sniffing the paint early in that Denver game. He also seriously slowed down Parker for the Spurs in that game. That is showing flashes of being a great defender. He's very good at staying between his man and the basket and pretty good at recovering when screened. He struggles with off the ball defense (most young players do). Defense is not all about steals and rebounding (especially for a guard), but about taking the other team out of their offense, which he is pretty good at for his age. It's also about getting the other team to take bad and contested shots thereby lowering the FG%, he is pretty good at this.
I'd argue that on the defensive end Exum has absolutely shown flashes of greatness. On the offensive end he's shown flashes of being an elite passer (and the potential to be great on that end). But he's a long way off with most everything else on the offensive end.
Fortunately it is easier to teach a young guy to be a better offensive player than to make them better defensively, at least IMO. I see aggressiveness from him defensively and believe that will eventually transfer to the offensive end.

green- Simply cannot accept this as fact even though many are saying it. Many slender body type players go to the rack with impunity. Strength/size only comes into the equation when you are getting big contact and then it's far from the only factor involved in finishing. Case in point- Kevin Durant, you can't be overwhelmed by his physical strength yet he is not shy at all going to the rim. He uses his quickness and athletic ability (jumping) to finish. So can DE even if he is only 19. KD is far from the only example. It's speed and quickness against size/weight and many use that to their advantage instead of a negative.