What's new

Official UofU homer thread

USC fan posted this on utefans
SC alum here, I posted earlier this week that I thought it would be a 27-23 game either way, and it turns out that was pretty close.

This matchup has become a real dandy. If I remember correctly, the home team has now won 5 in a row, and 3 of the last 4 have come down to basically the last play of the game. I am not looking forward to the return trip to SLC next season.

The Utes are a bitch to play, and that one truly could have gone either way. I loved Kyle's call to go for two, and his analysis of it being the "percentage play" was spot on. Darnold was on fire - the kid practically had NBA Jam flames shooting out of his *** - and our run game was rolling in the 4th quarter. We were really fortunate Carrington didn't get the ball thrown his way.

It is not lost on us that Troy Williams is squarely the backup, and if Huntley plays, we probably lose. On the other side of the coin, if Darnold doesn't fumble three times in the first half, we may have had a 7-10 point cushion. This was one of those games that could have broken either way, and we were very fortunate.

There was a stark contrast between what Troy Williams did on that two point conversion. and what USC did in their last touchdown.

Darnold made a dart towards the end zone which drew defenders to him. He then actually ran backwards a bit and lofted the ball over the defender. He was able to do this because he kept his eyes downfield and looking for his receivers. This is the difference - staying open to possibilities instead of heads down and trying to make it happen yourself.

TW seriously just put his head down and started trying to figure out how he was going to get in the end zone and didn't look for his receivers.

That was brutal.

I said it before the game, once Troy Williams starts to scramble he is running. He's like Travis Wilson in that regard, he can't both move and look downfield unless it's a called scramble.

Most of the time I agree. But the Utes could not stop Darnold. I agreed with the decision this time because of that.
Yes he was on fire.

What the hell, I'm just going to blame that bad first half on troy williams

Utah is punter and kicker U. (I mean that as a compliment)

Best punter in the country for like 4 years in a row. Andy Phillips was awesome. Now their kicker is number 1 in the country in made field goals and the 50 plus yarder he just made looked like it would be good from 65.

Incredible.

PS. I'm still pissed and confused about Tom Hackett not being in the nfl.

These targeting calls are so tough on the defensive players.

Utah is punter and kicker U. (I mean that as a compliment)

Best punter in the country for like 4 years in a row. Andy Phillips was awesome. Now their kicker is number 1 in the country in made field goals and the 50 plus yarder he just made looked like it would be good from 65.

Incredible.

PS. I'm still pissed and confused about Tom Hackett not being in the nfl.

lmfao

I haven't been letting myself post on U related topics for the last week. I'm not calling for Troy Taylor's job at all, he learning and growing as I've said before and I've seen some good things despite the recent bad things, however still is frustrating.

So you decide to start your a Sophomore QB coming off of a shoulder injury so running (due to re-injury) and throwing (due rust) may be limited, so you start with a couple of safe throws, which is smart I get it, then you run Moss and he gets some good yards and if he didn't slip it would've been a pretty big gain.

BUT THAN, you stop feeding Moss ?? Really?? You decided to put the entire game and game plan on a Sophomore QB, a Sophomore QB coming off of a shoulder injury??? You don't subscribe to the a QB's best friend is a running game??

From there it was all down hill, the U may have still lost the game but they never even gave themselves a chance with that decision right there.

I haven't been letting myself post on U related topics for the last week. I'm not calling for Troy Taylor's job at all, he learning and growing as I've said before and I've seen some good things despite the recent bad things, however still is frustrating.

So you decide to start your a Sophomore QB coming off of a shoulder injury so running (due to re-injury) and throwing (due rust) may be limited, so you start with a couple of safe throws, which is smart I get it, then you run Moss and he gets some good yards and if he didn't slip it would've been a pretty big gain.

BUT THAN, you stop feeding Moss ?? Really?? You decided to put the entire game and game plan on a Sophomore QB, a Sophomore QB coming off of a shoulder injury??? You don't subscribe to the a QB's best friend is a running game??

From there it was all down hill, the U may have still lost the game but they never even gave themselves a chance with that decision right there.
Shoulda just went with Whitt ball. Run Run Run, play defense, and great special teams.

lol, Utes playing a game and no activity in the Utes thread.

This season jumped off a cliff!

Anyway, they are down 7, I suggest they score a touchdown and then go for the 2-pt conversion, right?

Ever since the 2nd half of the USC game our defense has just been atrocious. We can't get off the field because our run defense can't stop anybody. Something that has been a strength of Whittingham teams has turned into a weakness this season. Even when we know what they are going to do, Oregon can't pass worth a damn right now and we know they are going to run it but we can't stop it.

The real "U" is undefeated.

So that's pretty cool.

I've always found calling the University of Miami the U absolutely stupid. I guess they can be the U for university while the Utes are the U for obvious reasons.

That said, the Utes are mediocre/bad this year. After barely beating a terrible BYU team, I kept making excuses of how easily they could be undefeated and ranked a top 10 team, six games in, if they didn't lose TH to an injury. Boy was I wrong.

I've always found calling the University of Miami the U absolutely stupid. I guess they can be the U for university while the Utes are the U for obvious reasons.

That said, the Utes are mediocre/bad this year. After barely beating a terrible BYU team, I kept making excuses of how easily they could be undefeated and ranked a top 10 team, six games in, if they didn't lose TH to an injury. Boy was I wrong.

When you're nationally relevant, you get to make your own rules.