What's new

Official UofU homer thread

Lmao no one's making that dive successfully. Had to hurt so bad lol
Even if he gets to the water it probably isn't deep right there by the shore.

Poor dumb bastard

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Matt Gay hitting 55 yarders already.
I was confused by this post. My first response was stupid. I just realized you were talking about the ex Ute kicker who is in the NFL and made a 55 harder in live action.

That's pretty cool.

My bad.

I have no clue who brian swinney (maybe just a hater) but i saw this:
Brian Swinney@thebrianswinney I've got Utah 8-4, 5-4. 1st in south. OL is big concern, new OC, QB hasn't been able to stay healthy, RB coming off knee injury, best WR is coming off ACL, starting LBs are gone, starting safeties are gone, best K and P in school history are gone. Other than, everything is good.

Now the QB comment is dumb imo, just because he was injured before doesnt mean he will be again and they have good back up QB's. And im certain the ute defense will be amazing. Dude is probably just playing devils advocate or is a hater or byu fan or something. I have no idea who the dude is and dont have the twitter myself.

Edit: I actually just googled brian swinney and he seems to be a ute guy. Everything that comes up on google is about him being on 700am (utes radio channel), crimson corner (i assume that a ute thing) recruiting expert, and everything he seems to report on is either ute or pac12 related so maybe he knows stuff. Idk.

Perhaps Swinney ends up right on his assessments, but I certainly don’t agree with him.

The O-Line returns 3 guys that either started or played quality minutes last year and one of the “new” guys is a JC recruit that had an offer sheet a mile long from schools like Ohio State, etc. He’s physically ready to play day one and is probably better than any Ute O-Lineman from last year.

Everybody worries about Utah’s LB’s, but the fact of the matter is, last season was the first and only year Hanson and Barton started alongside each other. For a few years now, Utah’s base Defense only has 2 LB’s on the field. They have the bodies and the coaching to be just fine at LB.

Kicker is a question mark but if Utah’s as good as all the national pundits seem to think, they better not be winning/losing games because of a kicker.

I do think he’s right about the QB spot. I really think Huntley has to stay healthy in order to fulfill the expectations for this team. I see lots of exciting depth at RB. Utah can overcome losing Moss much easier than Huntley.

Like many, I also think this is the best Dline and best Secondary in Utah’s history (which is saying a lot). There will be weaknesses on this team, but their strengths should be strong enough to negate any shortcomings. This is the first time I’ve said this since Utah’s joined the PAC: I’d be disappointed if they didn’t reach the Rose Bowl.

Corso's got Utah-Bama in Title Game

ECvyi-Kr-VAAAIwe.jpg

I would bet any amount he named against that.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I think most logical Ute fans would agree with you. Unless you’re Alabama or Clemson, getting into the 4 team playoff is a pretty big feat that is not commonly accomplished.

I’ve seen a ton of BYU fans mocking Corso and a few other national writers who have made similar predictions regarding Utah and I see it as a pretty accurate barometer as to where the 2 schools sit right now- which I think is a tipping point. Each year, Utah’s recruiting gets a little bit better while BYU’s gets a little but worse. Looking at it long term, national sports pundits who have no reason to pump up Utah are starting to take notice of the program. BYU seems to be trending in the other direction and Cougar fans are getting really uncomfortable with all the love Utah is getting.

IMO, BYU absolutely has to win this game to start saving face in-state. The drought has gone on far too long for a program that once was easily the most prominent in-state school. Now not only are we wondering about the next time BYU will beat Utah, we’re asking if they can avoid losing 3 straight to Utah State.

If the Cougars don’t beat Utah in the next couple of years, when are they going to? What’s going to change that evens out the playing field? It’s my own opinion, but I think if BYU was gonna get into a P5 conference, they’d be there by now. Aside from BYU finding their way into the Big12 or an expanded PAC12, I really don’t see how this thing swings back in BYU’s favor.

That he could name the amount and I would be willing to bet that amount that Utah and Alabama don’t play in the National Title game.

I see.
I agree. I wouldn't be shocked by Utah going to the rose bowl. Also wouldn't be shocked by them making the playoffs.
But if you break it down what are their odds that they win the South? High end 50% chance or so?
What are the odds they win the rose bowl? 35% or so?
Then what would be the odds that they beat Clemson in the playoffs? Probably 25% or so?

It's pretty unlikely. Possible sure, but very very unlikely. (You could say the same about every team except for maybe 4 or 5 though so it's not really a knock on Utah)

I think most logical Ute fans would agree with you. Unless you’re Alabama or Clemson, getting into the 4 team playoff is a pretty big feat that is not commonly accomplished.

I’ve seen a ton of BYU fans mocking Corso and a few other national writers who have made similar predictions regarding Utah and I see it as a pretty accurate barometer as to where the 2 schools sit right now- which I think is a tipping point. Each year, Utah’s recruiting gets a little bit better while BYU’s gets a little but worse. Looking at it long term, national sports pundits who have no reason to pump up Utah are starting to take notice of the program. BYU seems to be trending in the other direction and Cougar fans are getting really uncomfortable with all the love Utah is getting.

IMO, BYU absolutely has to win this game to start saving face in-state. The drought has gone on far too long for a program that once was easily the most prominent in-state school. Now not only are we wondering about the next time BYU will beat Utah, we’re asking if they can avoid losing 3 straight to Utah State.

If the Cougars don’t beat Utah in the next couple of years, when are they going to? What’s going to change that evens out the playing field? It’s my own opinion, but I think if BYU was gonna get into a P5 conference, they’d be there by now. Aside from BYU finding their way into the Big12 or an expanded PAC12, I really don’t see how this thing swings back in BYU’s favor.
I agree with all of this with the exception of if not this year then when.
Next year byu will be quite a bit better than this year. I think they have a better chance next season than they do this season.

Also, worse teams beat better teams. Happens all the time. Upsets are a part of football. I'm pretty sure that even if byu just gets worse in the future and Utah just gets better that byu would still beat Utah at some point. Utah isn't Alabama and byu isn't Appalachian State (who beat Michigan remember)

Last edited:
I see.
I agree. I wouldn't be shocked by Utah going to the rose bowl. Also wouldn't be shocked by them making the playoffs.
But if you break it down what are their odds that they win the South? High end 50% chance or so?
What are the odds they win the rose bowl? 35% or so?
Then what would be the odds that they beat Clemson in the playoffs? Probably 25% or so?

It's pretty unlikely. Possible sure, but very very unlikely. (You could say the same about every team except for maybe 4 or 5 though so it's not really a knock on Utah)

Utah is a very good team. I will completely shocked if they don’t win the south, unless half the starters are injured. I’ll withhold a prediction on winning the conference title game until I see what happens throughout the season and who the opponent is. I don’t think the conference winner goes to the playoffs, though, as the winner will have multiple losses.

This is such a stupid game imo. First game of the year against a huge rival that's going to give it everything they have and more. I think Utah is a better team from top to bottom but this game is a toss up. Utah has everything to risk here and absolutely nothing to gain. They win, it's just another day in CFB, they lose and the critics take this one to the bank come playoff/bowl season. It's a lose lose with these guys.

This is such a stupid game imo. First game of the year against a huge rival that's going to give it everything they have and more. I think Utah is a better team from top to bottom but this game is a toss up. Utah has everything to risk here and absolutely nothing to gain. They win, it's just another day in CFB, they lose and the critics take this one to the bank come playoff/bowl season. It's a lose lose with these guys.
Agreed.

Think Utah has to come out and destroy BYU in this one
They have to send a message to rest of schedule they are for real and to get immediate confidence for rest of year

I agree with all of this with the exception of if not this year then when.
Next year byu will be quite a bit better than this year. I think they have a better chance next season than they do this season.

Also, worse teams beat better teams. Happens all the time. Upsets are a part of football. I'm pretty sure that even if byu just gets worse in the future and Utah just gets better that byu would still beat Utah at some point. Utah isn't Alabama and byu isn't Appalachian State (who beat Michigan remember)

I agree and I probably should have worded some of that differently. BYU is absolutely going to win a game in this series again, maybe even tomorrow’s game, but I guess I’m wondering more about if they can get back to winning this game somewhat consistently.

There were times in the 80’s and 90’s where BYU lost the game but was clearly the better team and program. That being said, I don’t think the majority of the BYU fanbase is going to be ok with Utah being the better program and BYU simply pulling off 1 or 2 upsets every decade.

They say that everything is cyclical, and I agree with that, so long as the playing field is equal. Not only as a Ute fan, but as a football fan in general, I see the current landscape and wonder what domino is going to fall that leads to some equity in this match-up. If things continue on the current course, I see Utah winning 7 or 8 games outta 10 for the foreseeable future. I don’t know how they do it, but BYU absolutely has to find themselves with a seat at the P5 table. It’s gonna be very hard to retain high levels of fan interest if beating Utah continues to be a rarity and they continue struggling with Utah State.

I agree and I probably should have worded some of that differently. BYU is absolutely going to win a game in this series again, maybe even tomorrow’s game, but I guess I’m wondering more about if they can get back to winning this game somewhat consistently.

There were times in the 80’s and 90’s where BYU lost the game but was clearly the better team and program. That being said, I don’t think the majority of the BYU fanbase is going to be ok with Utah being the better program and BYU simply pulling off 1 or 2 upsets every decade.

They say that everything is cyclical, and I agree with that, so long as the playing field is equal. Not only as a Ute fan, but as a football fan in general, I see the current landscape and wonder what domino is going to fall that leads to some equity in this match-up. If things continue on the current course, I see Utah winning 7 or 8 games outta 10 for the foreseeable future. I don’t know how they do it, but BYU absolutely has to find themselves with a seat at the P5 table. It’s gonna be very hard to retain high levels of fan interest if beating Utah continues to be a rarity and they continue struggling with Utah State.
With Utah p5, and the money cache and resources that come with that status, and byu not p5 I figure byu is done winning this game in any kind of consistent manner.

Hopefully byu can get into a p5 conference at some point. Until that happens byu fans simply have to deal with being the inferior program.