What's new

Oni traded to Thunder

I wonder if DL still believes he can be one of the best perimeter defenders in the league?

Looks like we sent them a 2nd for their trouble. I know we are deep in the tax, but how much is a 2nd worth?

We'll need to wait for details on the pick. It could be a fake one. My initial thought was that we paid OKC more cash than what our tax bill would have been, which could still be true if it's fake.

Going rate for 2nd round picks cost about $3M in cash IIRC correctly. We saved about $2.5M in taxes by not waiving him. I surely hope this isn't a Rayjon Tucker situation where our cap guys don't understand the cap.

I’m confused - couldn’t we waive him and accomplish the same thing?

My hope is that this is a fake 2nd rounder and we simply paid OKC less cash than the tax hit would have been.

Then again, this Jazz FO traded an unprotected 2nd rounder to get rid of Rayjon Tucker to save about $80k. So crazier things have happened.

We'll need to wait for details on the pick. It could be a fake one. My initial thought was that we paid OKC more cash than what our tax bill would have been, which could still be true if it's fake.

Going rate for 2nd round picks cost about $3M in cash IIRC correctly. We saved about $2.5M in taxes by not waiving him. I surely hope this isn't a Rayjon Tucker situation where our cap guys don't understand the cap.
Whoooaaaa... what are you insinuating... these guis is proffesionalists... they don't make mistake.

We could have waived Oni to start the season... then you have like 10 days to fill the 14th spot... can cycle through 10 day guys and lower the tax hit. But what's another second rounder amongst friends.

I can't wait to hear the Jazz media group talk about how smart this is and just an amazing job finding this deal and getting it done! A++++++

This could set us up for a two for 1 deal.... or its just some straight cash considerations. We have so many second round picks the next 5 years 2028 don't matter.

Whoooaaaa... what are you insinuating... these guis is proffesionalists... they don't make mistake.

We could have waived Oni to start the season... then you have like 10 days to fill the 14th spot... can cycle through 10 day guys and lower the tax hit. But what's another second rounder amongst friends.

I can't wait to hear the Jazz media group talk about how smart this is and just an amazing job finding this deal and getting it done! A++++++

This could set us up for a two for 1 deal.... or its just some straight cash considerations. We have so many second round picks the next 5 years 2028 don't matter.

But don't you understand how valuable an open roster spot is when you already have an open spot and you have to fill that spot eventually anyways? That flexibility is so important!

I'll tell you what, either Ryan Smith is the cheapest mofo in the league or the Jazz cap guy is hilariously awful.

The other option is waive Oni at the beginning of the year... take a little time to figure out who you want and sign another minimum vet that you actually want.... since you need to fill the roster spot anyway.

Remember a couple days ago when Tony Jones said "hey... we have a $9M trade exception we can use!" We did this deal to offload like $1M in salary cap hit.

If things we going to be this tight money wise we should have passed on Udoka's option and traded him instead.... saves an extra $1M or so over this deal.