What's new

Oni traded to Thunder

My hope is that this is a fake 2nd rounder and we simply paid OKC less cash than the tax hit would have been.

Then again, this Jazz FO traded an unprotected 2nd rounder to get rid of Rayjon Tucker to save about $80k. So crazier things have happened.
Or... they thought they could get under the tax and ****ed up the maths instead of some silly *** minimal savings.... but that could never happen right?!?!?!?!

Or... they thought they could get under the tax and ****ed up the maths instead of some silly *** minimal savings.... but that could never happen right?!?!?!?!

Like I said, either Ryan Smith is the cheapest mofo in the league or the cap guys for the Jazz are hilariously bad. There's no justifying that move, and depending on the protections of this pick they might have just made another gaffe.

I think it's a bad omen that "cash considerations" hasn't been mentioned at all. That's the only way this is a sound move.

How many second round picks have we spent getting rid of guys we never should have picked up options on.... like 4.... 5 if you count the one we use on Udoka next year.

The churro is displeased with this.

Please also keep in mind that we likely moved our first to slide back and get two second round picks this offseason. Rather than having a $2M rookie on a potentially valuable 4 year deal.... we have a guy on a 1M cap hold for a 2 year deal. Like imagine if we had Desmond Bane but now he'd be a free agent at the end of the year.

We should find some pennies somewhere else.

Like I said, either Ryan Smith is the cheapest mofo in the league or the cap guys for the Jazz are hilariously bad. There's no justifying that move, and depending on the protections of this pick they might have just made another gaffe.

I think it's a bad omen that "cash considerations" hasn't been mentioned at all. That's the only way this is a sound move.
The fact that it is in 2028 leads me to believe it is a real second rounder. Presti also is quite good at extracting a little extra value... even though he has all teh pikkks.

The other option is waive Oni at the beginning of the year... take a little time to figure out who you want and sign another minimum vet that you actually want.... since you need to fill the roster spot anyway.

Remember a couple days ago when Tony Jones said "hey... we have a $9M trade exception we can use!" We did this deal to offload like $1M in salary cap hit.

If things we going to be this tight money wise we should have passed on Udoka's option and traded him instead.... saves an extra $1M or so over this deal.
I think there must be a lot of disconnect between Quin and the FO.

It won't actually save money over just waiving Oni at the beginning of the year and signing say Langston Galloway or some other scrub that at least is an nba quality player. We will need to sign someone (unless we do a 2 for one trade). That players cap hit will be the same as Oni's... could have used that second rounder to go out and land Yuta.... or more likely the next Cold Matthew.

The fact that it is in 2028 leads me to believe it is a real second rounder. Presti also is quite good at extracting a little extra value... even though he has all teh pikkks.
I heard it was just giving OKC back the pick they gave us in the Favors deal (might have just been speculation)

I think there must be a lot of disconnect between Quin and the FO.
I think there is disconnect between Quin and the FO and there is likely disconnect within the FO and between ownership and the FO. I also think our cap guy is garbage.... this is just the latest piece of evidence on that front.

Denzel Valentine was moved in the exact same type of move for $1.1M according to sportrac. If the Jazz did the exact same thing, they would have saved $1.5M and that would have been a sound move. Instead, the Jazz traded a second round pick. The Sixers bought #53 last draft for $2M according to Shams.

So even if the pick ends up being in the 50's, the Jazz made a bad business proposition.

I heard it was just giving OKC back the pick they gave us in the Favors deal (might have just been speculation)
A pick is a pick.... if we give it up to save money we can't spend that pick on a player we want or need.

We **** up the end of the roster so much.... and it does make a difference.

The ghost of Dennis Lindsey past still haunts.

Also, I didn’t know we had any second rounders.

Denzel Valentine was moved in the exact same type of move for $1.1M according to sportrac. If the Jazz did the exact same thing, they would have saved $1.5M and that would have been a sound move. Instead, the Jazz traded a second round pick. The Sixers bought #53 last draft for $2M according to Shams.

So even if the pick ends up being in the 50's, the Jazz made a bad business proposition.
Its just a second rounder guissss these things never matters dummy.

Ainge adjusting and adapting to the FO strategy very quickly. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

Its less about the 2nd round and more just about I dont get the process. Drafting and developing talent from the 2nd round/undrafted is hard, but Utah has been exceptionally bad at it lately.

The ghost of Dennis Lindsey past still haunts.

Also, I didn’t know we had any second rounders.

The actual spooky thing is that the guys who made a lot of the decisions that we blamed DL for are probably still here. If they aren't still here, the new guys are making the same mistakes.

In Zanik Ainge we trust right? Everything bad that happened was Lindsey's fault lmao.

I also think the NBA needs to do something about OKC owning every single draft pick in existence for the next 1000 years.

One team having that much draft assets cant be good for the league and how easily teams can get deals done.