What's new

Oni traded to Thunder

Its just a second rounder guissss these things never matters dummy.

Even if you couldn't care less about 2nd's, the Jazz did not make the right cash decision. The Tucker thing was bad, but at least it did save money...which cannot be said for this move. The Tucker thing might have just been a major **** up with good intentions initially. This move the intentions were clear, to save money, and they somehow failed to do so anyways.

All this to have Oni play 4 minutes of non garbage time basketball this year. I've been an Oni guy, but if the coach doesn't believe in him, there's no reason to keep him over cycling 10 day contracts. The disconnect between the FO and Quin obviously remains.

The Jazz need to get a real cap guy. Whoever is crunching the numbers now is probably crunching the numbers because they are someone's nephew.

Its less about the 2nd round and more just about I dont get the process. Drafting and developing talent from the 2nd round/undrafted is hard, but Utah has been exceptionally bad at it lately.
Its about all of it for me...

We have some that get super hard when we flip our late first round pick for a couple seconds "those are so valuable guis.... front office nails it again!"

Those same folks then jump in and lol when we give up a pick for nothing other than cash savings "who cares.... its just a pick"

That fine on a fan board.... but when it also translates to our front office its an issue. We give up a super real and valuable asset in a 1st round contract to swap it for some measly savings of the difference in salary.... then route the amazingly valuable second rounder we got.... for some measly savings we could have gotten by simply waiving Oni to start the season.... we would have strung some 10-days deals together but that is likely what we do now.

We compound this by giving another year to Udoka... people here are like "its a tiny deal.... who cares?" Well Ryan cares.... and when you need to offload more second rounders to dump that deal to use the pennies elsewhere.

Also, the crowd that says "who cares... we can buy a second round pick on draft night". That is correct! and its a good strategy.... but use your second round picks during the season to acquire useful veterans to help at the trade deadline. We can't trade the 2023 second round pick we are going to buy on draft night for a player that can help.

Its just weird/sloppy financial and asset management.... all around the edges so it doesn't have a huge effect.... until you start to add it all up.

I also think the NBA needs to do something about OKC owning every single draft pick in existence for the next 1000 years.

One team having that much draft assets cant be good for the league and how easily teams can get deals done.
Eh, you have to turn the picks into assets. The pick itself isn't an asset. See Fultz, Markelle. . .

Having "all the picks" almost guarantees that you will do something stupid with them.

Even if you couldn't care less about 2nd's, the Jazz did not make the right cash decision. The Tucker thing was bad, but at least it did save money...which cannot be said for this move. The Tucker thing might have just been a major **** up with good intentions initially. This move the intentions were clear, to save money, and they somehow failed to do so anyways.

All this to have Oni play 4 minutes of non garbage time basketball this year. I've been an Oni guy, but if the coach doesn't believe in him, there's no reason to keep him over cycling 10 day contracts. The disconnect between the FO and Quin obviously remains.

The Jazz need to get a real cap guy. Whoever is crunching the numbers now is probably crunching the numbers because they are someone's nephew.
**** or outsource it to some Jazzfanz nerds for some free tickets and swag.... we might suck but we would suck less.

Eh, you have to turn the picks into assets. The pick itself isn't an asset. See Fultz, Markelle. . .

Having "all the picks" almost guarantees that you will do something stupid with them.
I'm not talking about OKC becoming too good, but I would think one team having a big portion of the draft assets will make deals harder to make for everyone else.

wait I thought Oni's not guaranteed until this Friday? can't we just waive him ourselves and still save money since his salary isn't fully guaranteed? What's the need to give up a second round pick?

I'm not talking about OKC becoming too good, but I would think one team having a big portion of the draft assets will make deals harder to make for everyone else.
The NBA would step in and reduce a competitive advantage they have? I think it cuts both ways for OKC. When they want to turn the firsts into real players a team will ask for 3 firsts instead of 2.... I mean you have the picks.... give em up.

Philly and Boston didn't capitalize on their excess picks.... I think OKC will. We've not really seen one guy fully execute and see the "process" through from cradle to grave.

Its about all of it for me...

We have some that get super hard when we flip our late first round pick for a couple seconds "those are so valuable guis.... front office nails it again!"

Those same folks then jump in and lol when we give up a pick for nothing other than cash savings "who cares.... its just a pick"

That fine on a fan board.... but when it also translates to our front office its an issue. We give up a super real and valuable asset in a 1st round contract to swap it for some measly savings of the difference in salary.... then route the amazingly valuable second rounder we got.... for some measly savings we could have gotten by simply waiving Oni to start the season.... we would have strung some 10-days deals together but that is likely what we do now.

We compound this by giving another year to Udoka... people here are like "its a tiny deal.... who cares?" Well Ryan cares.... and when you need to offload more second rounders to dump that deal to use the pennies elsewhere.

Also, the crowd that says "who cares... we can buy a second round pick on draft night". That is correct! and its a good strategy.... but use your second round picks during the season to acquire useful veterans to help at the trade deadline. We can't trade the 2023 second round pick we are going to buy on draft night for a player that can help.

Its just weird/sloppy financial and asset management.... all around the edges so it doesn't have a huge effect.... until you start to add it all up.
But they’re in the FO and you’re on JFC. Trust teh experts.

wait I thought Oni's not guaranteed until this Friday? can't we just waive him ourselves and still save money since his salary isn't fully guaranteed? What's the need to give up a second round pick?
To reduce his cap number from 900k to $0 and save Ryan some money so he can pay Danny's salary.

To reduce his cap number from 900k to $0 and save Ryan some money so he can pay Danny's salary.
This is the selfish move DA makes for himself. The rest of the moves are for us. That’s what I’ll tell myself.

Welcome to the Dunn era, folks!

OKC is just smart.... this deal costs them zero because they are below the salary floor and need another 23M to get there... zero economic impact.... get a second for nothing. zero.

Denzel Valentine was moved in the exact same type of move for $1.1M according to sportrac. If the Jazz did the exact same thing, they would have saved $1.5M and that would have been a sound move. Instead, the Jazz traded a second round pick. The Sixers bought #53 last draft for $2M according to Shams.

So even if the pick ends up being in the 50's, the Jazz made a bad business proposition.
exactly. each second rounder is worth at least 1.5-2 mil and the jazz just gave up one to save well less than that amount.

Last edited:
**** or outsource it to some Jazzfanz nerds for some free tickets and swag.... we might suck but we would suck less.

The 5 minutes of googling I just did would have made the Jazz at least $500k. If they had given us a call on the Tucker thing we would have made Ryan Smith Millions.

Feels great to have this amazing cap guy/team as the Jazz head into repeater tax territory in the near future.

I don’t understand this at all. What the **** are they doing.

There has to be something we don’t know at this point, like that it is unlikely to convey or something? Like… what? How does this jive with picking up the option on the worst 1st round selection since… uhh… I honestly don’t even know when or who.

could it be the accountant they hired who ****ed up? well better call Ryan to fire that ****** accountant

Don't understand how you can foul up the salary cap numbers
Program should automatically figure that out as you go along

The 5 minutes of googling I just did would have made the Jazz at least $500k. If they had given us a call on the Tucker thing we would have made Ryan Smith Millions.

Feels great to have this amazing cap guy/team as the Jazz head into repeater tax territory in the near future.
Imagine if they had just taken Butler with #30 and then bought a second round pick at the end of the draft and signed that guy to a one year deal while waiving Oni.... you are salary neutral... have a different prospect you may like better on a potentially more valuable contract because it would have a team option on the second year. You have JB on a 4 year deal now and can be a little more patient with him if you need to. Go ahead and decline that Dok option too.... I just saved the Jazz a couple picks and some dough too!

Don't understand how you can foul up the salary cap numbers
Program should automatically figure that out as you go along
You don't mess up the accounting... the planning on the other hand... that is not automated.

they can literally sell a future second round pick for 2mil in cash right now to pay for everything. they are literally and figuratively underselling these picks right now.