What's new

Oregon State @ Utah

Very entertaining game. Pretty much played out like most of us agreed it would on the first page(until you guys got a little carried away in confidence with the Oregon State O-Line injury situation later in the thread). But hey, sometimes it's tough listening to a kind BYU fan tell you the truth about your defensive front on a Jazz message board, so you have to see it action over and over again until you finally accept it I guess. The third Manning brother for Oregon State definitely also has the cybernetic targeting system implanted in his brain. And Tyler Wilson looks like he could beat Joey Harrington in a foot race, but probably shouldn't try outrunning Alani Fua or Kyle Van Noy this Saturday. It won't end well.

It was an exciting game, but frustrating to watch Utah's defense put OSU in 3rd (and 4th) and long, only to give up a huge, drive saving gain.

And two vanilla runs to start the overtime? I was pulling out my hair. The secondary is this team's biggest weakness, but minus Wilson's brilliance, the play calling was largely flat and uninspired.

If Taysom Hill any ability to throw a football, I would be super worried about next week. As it is, I'm moderately worried.

If they do that then expect another 500+ rushing yard performance from BYU.

I don't think it's as much personnel as it is scheme.

What the hell did Utah do to confuse mannion? What did they do to pressure him? How often did you see on 2nd or 3rd down Mannion sitting comfortably in the pocket with a makeshift O-line able to gaze over the entire field without any fear of being sacked?

Utah did absolutely nothing to disrupt OSU. Part of me feels like they had the Texas disease. They felt like their front 4 could get to Mannion by themselves. They refused to adjust. And arrogantly died with the results.

If the linebackers and the rest of the secondary isn't going to cover anybody, you might as well send them after the QB.

Heck, one thing that is often overlooked in defense is that the "sacrifice" you make with your coverage to blitz actually results in "better coverage." The blitzing forces the QB to feel uncomfortable, commit mistakes, make quick decisions, and unload the ball shorter distances.

By sitting back in a base 4 down linemen and 2 deep safeties, you allowed OSU to do whatever they wanted. When Mannion wanted to go deep, he could. When the deep ball wasn't there, he dumped it off for automatic 5-8 yard gains. Kalani pulled a Hemi Hill and played overly cautious.

That's one thing I love about Bronco. He gets burned, but it's off aggression. BYU and any defense really, is far better when they're being overly aggressive than overly cautious.

Ya gotta make that QB feel ya. Utah didn't do that tonight.

If Taysom can pass just 50 percent BYU will blow out Utah. Sorry utes.

Utah's secondary is terrible, no doubt about it. But what's missing is Mannion is really, really good. I'm not scared of BYU's offense. Yeah, they have a good run game, but BYU has a QB who can't throw and won't be able to exploit the secondary like Mannion did. It will be a close game and could go either way. Neither team is good enough to blow each other out.

Utah's secondary is terrible, no doubt about it. But what's missing is Mannion is really, really good. I'm not scared of BYU's offense. Yeah, they have a good run game, but BYU has a QB who can't throw and won't be able to exploit the secondary like Mannion did. It will be a close game and could go either way. Neither team is good enough to blow each other out.

How good is Utah at stopping the run? (During the part of the game I watched, it was basically all pass.) If they are as poor at that as they were at stopping the pass, then big advantage to BYU. If they are reasonably good at stopping the run, then should be close.

It was an exciting game, but frustrating to watch Utah's defense put OSU in 3rd (and 4th) and long, only to give up a huge, drive saving gain.

And two vanilla runs to start the overtime? I was pulling out my hair. The secondary is this team's biggest weakness, but minus Wilson's brilliance, the play calling was largely flat and uninspired.

If Taysom Hill any ability to throw a football, I would be super worried about next week. As it is, I'm moderately worried.

Teams with good QB's are going to expose Utah all season, thankfully BYU isn't one of them. I'm a little worried because BYU can run the ball, but this is the same team that lost to Virginia two weeks ago so it's not like BYU is some juggernaut. The BYU game is good for Utah to try and fix some of their flaws and get ready for the rest of conference play.

How good is Utah at stopping the run? (During the part of the game I watched, it was basically all pass.) If they are as poor at that as they were at stopping the pass, then big advantage to BYU. If they are reasonably good at stopping the run, then should be close.

I was at the game last night and Oregon St couldn't do a lot on the ground when they did try to run. Oregon St had 48 yards on 28 rushes. Their offense line was probably part of it, but the d-line of Utah did well when it came to the run (obviously got zero pressure on Mannion in the pass).

I was at the game last night and Oregon St couldn't do a lot on the ground when they did try to run. Oregon St had 48 yards on 28 rushes. Their offense line was probably part of it, but the d-line of Utah did well when it came to the run (obviously got zero pressure on Mannion in the pass).

Thanks, should be a good game then. Speaking as a BYU fan, hopefully Hill doesn't stink quite as badly at passing as he has the past two weeks. And hopefully BYU's defensive front can pressure Wilson enough that he doesn't have time to shred their secondary.

Very entertaining game. Pretty much played out like most of us agreed it would on the first page(until you guys got a little carried away in confidence with the Oregon State O-Line injury situation later in the thread). But hey, sometimes it's tough listening to a kind BYU fan tell you the truth about your defensive front on a Jazz message board, so you have to see it action over and over again until you finally accept it I guess. The third Manning brother for Oregon State definitely also has the cybernetic targeting system implanted in his brain. And Tyler Wilson looks like he could beat Joey Harrington in a foot race, but probably shouldn't try outrunning Alani Fua or Kyle Van Noy this Saturday. It won't end well.

leftyjace said:
I don't believe Utah will hold them to 14 or less. Our secondary is questionable.

I'm worried about this game, but it should be a pretty good one.

Ya, you can leave me out of that blanket statement.

And isn't Mannion?

Thanks, should be a good game then. Speaking as a BYU fan, hopefully Hill doesn't stink quite as badly at passing as he has the past two weeks. And hopefully BYU's defensive front can pressure Wilson enough that he doesn't have time to shred their secondary.

The byu secondary should get 2 corners back for the utah game, so hopefully the secondary won't be all that bad

I remember Utah St able to run easily. In fact, Utah St relied too much on Chuckie and should have relied more on the run game. And Williams is a different animal. He and Hill will test Utah's run defense the most other than maybe Arizona or Oregon.

I get that Utah won't be as terrible as Texas was against the run. But I don't see that defense being significantly better against the run either. Both run and pass work easily against that terrible defense.

However, Utah's offense will challenge BYU unlike anything BYU has seen thus far. Wilson is the real deal, Poole is explosive, and Drez Anderson scares me to death. If BYU's front 7 can't get Wilson onto the ground Anderson and Murphy are going to destroy BYU's secondary. It really won't matter what Taysom can or cannot do if BYU's front 7 cannot get to Wilson/keep Poole bottled up.

Great call.

I too was puzzled as to why Dennis went into ultra-conservative mode and ran 2 basic run plays in that OT. If you're not going to pass (which was going well) why not run that option play where Wilson pulls it and keeps the ball running outside? Oregon St hadn't stopped that play all game long.

Great call.

I too was puzzled as to why Dennis went into ultra-conservative mode and ran 2 basic run plays in that OT. If you're not going to pass (which was going well) why not run that option play where Wilson pulls it and keeps the ball running outside? Oregon St hadn't stopped that play all game long.

Solid point. I and those around me in the stands wondered the exact same thing. It was obvious we needed a touchdown, we couldn't just settle for a field goal.

True. What I meant to say is BYU will win convincingly. No 4th down miracles necessary. If Taysom can complete just enough passes to exploit that secondary and if BYU can get to Wilson, they will win.

On the flip side... If Utah can make BYU one dimensional and protect Wilson, BYU won't have a prayer.

Hill sucks, no debate, but he has gotten better* every snap he's in there. I think the jitters will be all but gone, and will be all gone after the first quarter. Expect Hill to wow the majority of us, and connect on 65%+. I don't think we'll be running the ball nearly as much as everyone thinks.

Oh ya...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I thought the poker buy-in was $20 not $15. Must have drank way too much red stag before driving PKM's Range Rover back to his hotel.

I'm having a hard time getting excited for the Holy War. Even if Utah wins (a big "if" at this point), it doesn't look they're going to be winning many PAC 12 games yet again.

I know this sounds like smack talk, but Im over beating BYU. They've done it 7 of the last 10 and other than bragging rights, it means next to nothing. Start winning games in your own conference for hells sakes.

I'm having a hard time getting excited for the Holy War. Even if Utah wins (a big "if" at this point), it doesn't look they're going to be winning many PAC 12 games yet again.

I know this sounds like smack talk, but Im over beating BYU. They've done it 7 of the last 10 and other than bragging rights, it means next to nothing. Start winning games in your own conference for hells sakes.

That's what Ute fans were saying last year, right before they stormed the field three times. Not buying it.