What's new

Oregon State @ Utah

I don't know if BYU has the tools to take advantage of the holes in Utahs D the way OSU did.

BYU should be able to run against them. I don't know whether they'll be able to exploit that horrid secondary. Max Hall and Pitta/Collie would. I'm not so sure about Taysom.

Well that was short lived back to hoping for 6-6.

Obviously Mannion is a REALLY good QB but that said, the U's D or COMPLETE LACK THERE OF, gives me no reason what so ever that they can win next week. They gave up how many 3rd and longs and 4th downs, they only forced ONE three and out the entire game and forced 3 punts for the entire game. You say OSU is a bad match up for the U's porous and weak D, I say the U's D showed me they can't come up with a big play or a big stop PERIOD. They had multiple chances to show me and they did not, they showed me what I said earlier, you can have all the speed you want but if you have no ball awareness or fundamentals it don't mean a damn thing.

OSU's fat boys beat down and stole the U's fat boys lunch money, you would think it was the U's O-line that had injuries, the only thing they could block tonight was MAYBE someone trying to get into a buffet line, because those fat pieces of worthlessness seemingly only care about being fat. I say take away their lunch money provided to them and give it to OSU out of principle.

Would be easy to blame Wilson's 3 INT's which lead to 14 direct points for OSU but he did to much good, I blame the O-line and "defense" that was truly offensive to the word defense. From here on out they can only call themselves the U's "effense" because they gots no d.

BYU should be able to run against them. I don't know whether they'll be able to exploit that horrid secondary. Max Hall and Pitta/Collie would. I'm not so sure about Taysom.
Maybe we will see more nickels and dimes out of the Utes from here on out.

Well that was short lived back to hoping for 6-6.

Obviously Mannion is a REALLY good QB but that said, the U's D or COMPLETE LACK THERE OF, gives me no reason what so ever that they can win next week. They gave up how many 3rd and longs and 4th downs, they only forced ONE three and out the entire game and forced 3 punts for the entire game. You say OSU is a bad match up for the U's porous and weak D, I say the U's D showed me they can't come up with a big play or a big stop PERIOD. They had multiple chances to show me and they did not, they showed me what I said earlier, you can have all the speed you want but if you have no ball awareness or fundamentals it don't mean a damn thing.

OSU's fat boys beat down and stole the U's fat boys lunch money, you would think it was the U's O-line that had injuries, the only thing they could block tonight was MAYBE someone trying to get into a buffet line, because those fat pieces of worthlessness seemingly only care about being fat. I say take away their lunch money provided to them and give it to OSU out of principle.

Would be easy to blame Wilson's 3 INT's which lead to 14 direct points for OSU but he did to much good, I blame the O-line and "defense" that was truly offensive to the word defense. From here on out they can only call themselves the U's "effense" because they gots no d.

That's not even bringing up some stupid penalties they had on defense. The secondary is just absolutely awful. That's not to say Mannion didn't have a good game. He did. As did Wilson to some extent even though he had 3 interceptions.

That's not even bringing up some stupid penalties they had on defense. The secondary is just absolutely awful. That's not to say Mannion didn't have a good game. He did. As did Wilson to some extent even though he had 3 interceptions.
Yep Wilson is just a sophomore so growing pains were expected this year but he has played great IMO, the difference is OSU's D actually made big plays (the INT's) and stops (example would be the entire first QTR and OT), not many but 5x more than the U's efense had.

Yep Wilson is just a sophomore so growing pains were expected this year but he has played great IMO, the difference is OSU's D actually made big plays (the INT's) and stops (example would be the entire first QTR and OT), not many but 5x more than the U's efense had.

Agreed. This will ultimately serve as a good learning experience. There are some positives to take away from a loss like this for Wilson even though he probably doesn't want to think about them now. I hope this makes him a better QB in the long run.

Maybe we will see more nickels and dimes out of the Utes from here on out.

If they do that then expect another 500+ rushing yard performance from BYU.

I don't think it's as much personnel as it is scheme.

What the hell did Utah do to confuse mannion? What did they do to pressure him? How often did you see on 2nd or 3rd down Mannion sitting comfortably in the pocket with a makeshift O-line able to gaze over the entire field without any fear of being sacked?

Utah did absolutely nothing to disrupt OSU. Part of me feels like they had the Texas disease. They felt like their front 4 could get to Mannion by themselves. They refused to adjust. And arrogantly died with the results.

If the linebackers and the rest of the secondary isn't going to cover anybody, you might as well send them after the QB.

Heck, one thing that is often overlooked in defense is that the "sacrifice" you make with your coverage to blitz actually results in "better coverage." The blitzing forces the QB to feel uncomfortable, commit mistakes, make quick decisions, and unload the ball shorter distances.

By sitting back in a base 4 down linemen and 2 deep safeties, you allowed OSU to do whatever they wanted. When Mannion wanted to go deep, he could. When the deep ball wasn't there, he dumped it off for automatic 5-8 yard gains. Kalani pulled a Hemi Hill and played overly cautious.

That's one thing I love about Bronco. He gets burned, but it's off aggression. BYU and any defense really, is far better when they're being overly aggressive than overly cautious.

Ya gotta make that QB feel ya. Utah didn't do that tonight.

If Taysom can pass just 50 percent BYU will blow out Utah. Sorry utes.

If Utah is going to win any more games in their conference they have got to take a page out of Drew Brees and the Saint's play book and turn these games into shoot outs. Even Wash St has a better defense than you.

I would really focus on that offense and go high tempo.

I think that defense as presently coached is a lost cause. You folks are barely putting up any resistance to USU and OSU. How are you going to hang with the cali, Oregon, and Arizona schools? Even Colorado will probably score 30+ on you.

Your best chance is to have Wilson and co take control and outscore teams. Poole is a stud, Drez and murph are playmakers, and Wilson is finally the answer.