What's new

Our Big 3?

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
This is more of an offseason convo, so sorry... but I see some situations where teams may shake things up and their may be pieces we can get.

The bigger idea this triggered in my mind is do we need 3 elite players (say top 40 guys)? Or can we get by with 2 elite players surrounded by impactful players like Ingles, Rubio (sometimes), and Exum (maybe... I'm hopeful). I think they impactful guys need to fit seamlessly to work on a championship level. Like I don't know that Draymond (at least the current version) is a top 30-40 guy, but on that team it is perfect and he fits so well.

If we can't find the third Big 3 Member then do we top out at a Toronto Raptors level?

The thing that prompted this thought was the Wizards may need a shakeup... Beal or OP Jr. could be available... my guess is OP would be more available. I think we could turn him into that 3rd piece... He has more raw tools than Hayward did... link him with a ball movement offense and our coaching staff and he could make a decent jump from where he is. Not sure he has a Victor Oladipo jump in him, but he gets better every year in a pretty dysfunctional situation.

Kemba may become available. Not sure I'd be willing to give up what we need to acquire him and not sure of fit.

Also, infection will bring up Niko... I think he could be in the really impactful group... not sure he's the third member of a big 3. He is also playing himself into no trade territory.

Miami may also have to sell off some pieces, but there isn't anything there that I would want that I think they'd give up. James Johnson could be nasty with us, but he's pretty central to what they do... I think they try (unsuccessfully) to move Whiteside or Waiters. No interest there.

Anyway... how do we get our 3rd big 3 member or do we build with really impactful guys.

I'm not so sure the Jazz have the assets it takes to outbid other teams in order to land an elite player in a trade. I think they would have better luck in free agency. I think Klay would be a good fit here once he becomes a FA assuming GSW is unable to free up money for him.

Not sure how we get anything done in a trade. Donovan and Rudy are untouchable, Exum is an unknown (but I think he's a star), and our other assets (Favors, Rubio, vets, picks) are frankly pretty meh.

Free agency or striking gold in the draft again is going to be our ticket.

Friggin Hayward...

I'm not so sure the Jazz have the assets it takes to outbid other teams in order to land an elite player in a trade. I think they would have better luck in free agency. I think Klay would be a good fit here once he becomes a FA assuming GSW is unable to free up money for him.

I don't know that they need to free up money for him though. I think they are more likely to let Draymond walk than Klay. I think he's a target, but it's a freaking moonshot imo.

Not sure how we get anything done in a trade. Donovan and Rudy are untouchable, Exum is an unknown (but I think he's a star), and our other assets (Favors, Rubio, vets, picks) are frankly pretty meh.

Free agency or striking gold in the draft again is going to be our ticket.

Friggin Hayward...

I think OP Jr. might be had for a modest return... we can offer cap savings through our unguaranteed players and either a pick or Jae Crowder. Not sure they are ready to sell low. I think he has a development jump in him and could score 18-19 per game efficiently in our offense. He isn't a guy that can go get his own shot regularly, but I think he could function like Hayward did.

Draft and FA in 2019 seem like the best bets, but man there is like a 3% chance of finding an All Star where we will be drafting and if Klay says no you are down to the Tobias Harris, Khris Middleton, and Niko Mirotic group... Impactful but not All Stars. I don't think Jimmy Butler or Kawhi actually hit FA as they can sign extensions... not sure if Kyrie is extension eligible, but I doubt he'd have any interest.

I would try to get otto. But to answer the question in the OP it all comes down to Spida. Will he be a top 5 player in the league? If yes then we dont need a big 3. A big two is enough with good surrounding players.

Raptors dont have a top 5 guy. Thats their main problem. Houston doesn't have a big 3 but harden is top 5 so they are championship caliber.

Plus I think with quin, rudy, and Donovans personalities they should be able to attract players to utah like never before. Especially if Donovan becomes a top 5 player. It all comes down to Him. I believe in The Don like i never believed in anyone before.

Jazz will contend for a title soon and i think they get one. I think quin is possibly the best coach in the league as well. Rudy best defensive player. The jazz are extremely close.......... If Mitchell becomes a league mvp player.

Draft and FA in 2019 seem like the best bets, but man there is like a 3% chance of finding an All Star where we will be drafting and if Klay says no you are down to the Tobias Harris, Khris Middleton, and Niko Mirotic group... Impactful but not All Stars. I don't think Jimmy Butler or Kawhi actually hit FA as they can sign extensions... not sure if Kyrie is extension eligible, but I doubt he'd have any interest.
I just posted a decent sized post about my thoughts but to respond here, If Spida gets to the level we want, and tbh i think we expect, then its ok to miss on klay/leonard/butler/etc. Niko/middleton/harris/gordon/parker types along with an mvp caliber mitchell, dpoy rudy, and coach of the year quin plus other good role players like ingles will be enough.

I would try to get otto. But to answer the question in the OP it all comes down to Spida. Will he be a top 5 player in the league? If yes then we dont need a big 3. A big two is enough with good surrounding players.

Raptors dont have a top 5 guy. Thats their main problem. Houston doesn't have a big 3 but harden is top 5 so they are championship caliber.

Plus I think with quin, rudy, and Donovans personalities they should be able to attract players to utah like never before. Especially if Donovan becomes a top 5 player. It all comes down to Him. I believe in The Don like i never believed in anyone before.

Jazz will contend for a title soon and i think they get one. I think quin is possibly the best coach in the league as well. Rudy best defensive player. The jazz are extremely close.......... If Mitchell becomes a league mvp player.

I think DM can get there... I do think Houston has two top 10 guys... when CP3 is available. I understand your point though. Have a supernova talent and a defensive anchor that can contribute without the ball and impactful guys in appropriate roles and maybe it works.

I just hope the NBA can stop guys from congregating and forming super teams... no fun for small markets.

I just posted a decent sized post about my thoughts but to respond here, If Spida gets to the level we want, and tbh i think we expect, then its ok to miss on klay/leonard/butler/etc. Niko/middleton/harris/gordon/parker types along with an mvp caliber mitchell, dpoy rudy, and coach of the year quin plus other good role players like ingles will be enough.

I'm fairly confident we can get one of the guys in the latter group. If we have $40M still available may even be able to pull a Malcolm Brogdon too. I think it works if Exum develops and we get a decent deal on his extension. Was just thinking if you can get OP jr. now for say salary relief, AB, and a 2019 first (or Jae) I think I'd do it. I like him more than many in that group although I'm sure many Jazzfanz would not think he is a MAX player.

I think this is why the Jazz hang on to Exum and possibly take a chance on Jabari. DL may have to rely on their strength which is player development to get that 3rd guy. It would have been nice if DL had more time to offer Otto something last off season.

I'm fairly confident we can get one of the guys in the latter group. If we have $40M still available may even be able to pull a Malcolm Brogdon too. I think it works if Exum develops and we get a decent deal on his extension. Was just thinking if you can get OP jr. now for say salary relief, AB, and a 2019 first (or Jae) I think I'd do it. I like him more than many in that group although I'm sure many Jazzfanz would not think he is a MAX player.
I like porter more than most as well. Yes he is a bit overpaid but his efficiency is crazy crazy good. Im a sucker for good shooting percentages and his are off the charts. 50% from the field, 44% from 3, 83% from the line. Dude can shoot. 6 foot 8. Long. 24 years old. Quin with opj are a match made in heaven and well worth the risk of his huge contract.

Otto Porter just isnt gettable. His contract is too high for the Jazz to trade for because the Jazz dont have anything the Wizards want that matches salary.

The trade option right now is probably Jabari Parker in a S&T. Parker probably would like to come to Utah because he would be a 2nd option, a starter, and be among his mormon people. It would just depends on how much money he wants because I know he turned down 18 million a year from the Bucks, which is pretty wild, but that might be him just not wanting to be on the Bucks anymore.

Otto Porter just isnt gettable. His contract is too high for the Jazz to trade for because the Jazz dont have anything the Wizards want that matches salary.

The trade option right now is probably Jabari Parker in a S&T. Parker probably would like to come to Utah because he would be a 2nd option, a starter, and be among his mormon people. It would just depends on how much money he wants because I know he turned down 18 million a year from the Bucks, which is pretty wild, but that might be him just not wanting to be on the Bucks anymore.
He recently refuted the 18mil offer in an interview. Made it sound like they offered significantly less.

Edit: first reference I found searching for this: