What's new

Paul Reed signs 3 yr 24mil offer sheet with Jazz

They are so salty about this. It’s kind of funny.

“But that’s the beauty of this offer sheet structure. It’s not 8 this year for the Sixers it’s 22 with the tax. Danny is basically 1) daring Josh Harris to not be a cheapskate, and 2) sabotaging their max cap plans next year. It really is a brilliant gambit.”

“Putting my personal feelings aside for a moment, tip of the cap to Danny Ainge for crafting the pettiest offer sheet structure I’ve ever seen. Seriously F that guy forever, but well played Danny.”

“Danny”- in a tone of disdain”

“Really interesting way for the Jazz to get themselves out of the deal in a year.”

“Exactly. This is a brilliant move by Ainge to screw over a team.”

That’s just a taste. . .
This is fantastic stuff. The comedy value alone makes this one of my favorite Ainge moves ever.

Given that the Jazz prioritized JC's renegotiation and extension this summer, this seems like a good use of the space mle: young player who's been productive in his limited minutes whose contract is only for one year if he doesn't show anything.
Zero risk with some upside as a player - and useful as trade ballast.

Who else is available for the space mle who'd agree to this type of contract?

The funniest thing about this thread is that people claim to have "followed" Paul Reed for years.

Highest of high comedy.
Some people actually follow basketball rather than strictly one player like you. Paul Reed has been a known name for years with his dominant gleague play and really solid nba play when actually given minutes. For some reason Doc Rivers just didn't like him that much and never made an effort to get him consistently in the rotation.

This move signals the opposite. It suggests the Jazz believe they will not be a contender or are likely to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

However, this contract is a useful trade asset - an 8 million expiring for any team looking to blow it up.

Swing and a miss. The semi-finals provision has absolutely nothing to do with what Ainge expects from Utah this year. Zilch. Nada.

It had one intention and that is to discourage Philly from matching. If Utah were to make the semi-finals and have to guarantee the next 2 years, Ainge would be fine with that. It means the team exceeded expectations.

Some people actually follow basketball rather than strictly one player like you. Paul Reed has been a known name for years with his dominant gleague play and really solid nba play when actually given minutes. For some reason Doc Rivers just didn't like him that much and never made an effort to get him consistently in the rotation.
You lost me at "dominant gleague play".

Rule #1: You never pay any attention to G-League results or stats.
Rule #2: You never pay any attention to Per 36 stats.

Reed doesn't move the needle at all, but few 9th men do. Probably deserves a roster spot. It's just hilarious to see all the Paul Reed experts suddenly coming out of the woodwork. (After a furious Google session, of course.)

Last edited:
There was some back and forth about Resd during his draft. It is easy to be emotionally invested in a lot of players when you are a fan

Reed doesn't move the needle at all, but few 9th men do. Probably deserves a roster spot. It's just hilarious to see all the Paul Reed experts suddenly coming out of the woodwork. (After a furious Google session, of course.)
For a lot of people they may not have known anything about him but for us that follow basketball we have known about him for a while. Unfortunately you seem to be one of those people that don't really follow basketball but has too big of an ego to admit it so you want to try and put down the people that know more than you. Sometimes it is okay to admit that you are more so at the bottom of the pack when it comes to basketball education. That happens when you only care about one player.

Reaves would have been impossible to acquire.

So then the question becomes; Do we go after a player we can actually get? Or do we poison-pill the Lakers (who are going to match anyway) + simultaneously skip an opportunity?
We’re a ways into free agency and have now just tendered this offer. The Reaves issue would have been resolved long before this, had we pursued that.

We’re a ways into free agency and have now just tendered this offer. The Reaves issue would have been resolved long before this, had we pursued that.
And being that this is the room exception, could’ve done both. Just wouldn’t have one of THT, KO, or Clarkson.

Worth the dice roll. Especially since it is becoming a foregone conclusion that KO will be gone after next year.

This off-season, Ainge went Meth addict on us. If you are tall, play some defense and can shoot the 3 then he MUST HAVE you point guards be damned.

He’s 23 and only in the league 3 years drafted in the second round. Those guys generally don’t get a second contract. So right there you know he can play. Second rounders also generally get brought along a lot slower. He only just got double digit minutes per game this year.

Oh, and for your information I’ve had my eye on him since before the draft and wanted the jazz to draft him.

How dare you, I’ve been a long term expert on him (meaning I Googled him two days ago AND watched some YouTube clips)

Maybe. Unless another team offered Reed before we got a chance to.

Sometimes you just go after the low hanging fruit when that's the stage yer at. Which we are.

Maybe. Unless another team offered Reed before we got a chance to.

Sometimes you just go after the low hanging fruit when that's the stage yer at. Which we are.
We’re over a week into free agency. Nobody has snatched him up until we did. And this move apparently wasn’t all that imperative since we waited 8 days to do it.

So the Jazz have a large and interesting combination of assets in contracts. A declining contract, some variety of expiring deals, and a couple of large salaries in Clarkson, Collins, and Sexton.
It appears to be a similar approach to last year. Deal some vets at the deadline, open up roster spaces and let the young guys burn the second half of the year. It’s pretty smart, I don’t think you can expect 19 year old guys to play 80 games in the first year and be competitive and consistent. I think it gives them the best chance at success to allow them to see how the game is played and get into a pro mindset and get into tip top shape and then play with confidence the second half of the year.