What's new

Police Power and Racial Tensions in Ferguson, Missouri

That was a very cute self-righteous rant. Did you have God Bless America playing in the background while you typed that out? Of course, I'd call the police if that happened - their job is to serve and protect the communities that pay their salaries. If you support the Ferguson PD one iota - or any of the police governing that area/county/state - you are as dangerous as the pigs who gun down unarmed civilians.

So they are worthless pigs until you need them, and then they best do their job, because you pay their salary.

Like I said, I wouldn't piss on you to put out a fire. I would, however, dump in your face just so I could tell my cop friends that I **** in some dumbass cop haters mouth.

*cue "Touch Myself"*

this world needs more guns and Zimmerman should run as the GOP candidate for President. While people are defending Bundy with weapons for him breaking the law. The KKK are running police departments what a backwards time. Thanks Obama.

This country is 10+ plus years in from the Patriot Act and 20 years in since the Clinton's Crime Bill. So much federal money has poured into state and local police forces since then and it seems like it's all been spent on para-military equipment. There were 80,000 SWAT raids in 2012 compared to 3000 in 1980 (when crime, as a whole, was a lot worse) So it's only natural that the mentality switches from protect and serve to a police state.

I think The Taser is a perfect example that illustrates the change in law enforcement mindset. I'm old enough to remember the Taser being originally introduced a substitute for shooting someone. Now cops use them on grandmothers sitting in cars because they get a little "mouthy"

I wouldn't want to be a cop - it's a tough ****ing job. That doesn't put them above scrutiny though.

... but this is no longer demonstrations by "peaceful protesters" as indicated by One Brow.

Ferguson has 20,000 people just within its own boarders, and is entirely surrounded by other cities. There are areas with violent protests, but there are also areas where people are gathering peacefully. Did you read the Washington Post story you linked? More than a day after the rioting, police are using tear gas on peaceful protesters. They are arresting reporters and local politicians.

How can you understand one and not the other. This is baffling to me.

It's the difference between the actions of civilians who have faced various aggressions and microaggressions on a continuing basis over years on the one hand, and professionals in a government uniform on the other.

Son of a... St. Louis, IL?

I work in East St. Louis. I last lived in St. Louis over 30 years ago.

If only the pigs in Pleasantville abused their power and white folks had an issue with it would it be bigger news than it is now.

Police captains would never allow their revenue stream to be threatened by rogue cops picking on white people on a regular basis.

Ferguson has 20,000 people just within its own boarders, and is entirely surrounded by other cities. There are areas with violent protests, but there are also areas where people are gathering peacefully. Did you read the Washington Post story you linked? More than a day after the rioting, police are using tear gas on peaceful protesters. They are arresting reporters and local politicians.

I did and it clearly shows that some are peaceful and some are not. Such as some now using molotov cocktails. It also does not mention if the peaceful protesters and the violent ones are in seperate protests. I'm not surprised that you are unwilling to show any intellectual honesty on this issue.

Now that I've handled that crap...just read that the police are now no longer usng just tear gas and rubber bullets. They now have automatic weapons, APCs and concussion grenades.

All I see is the hardliners of each side upping the ante. This is looking extremely bad and I do not like the precedent this sets on acceptable police armament and action.

I did and it clearly shows that some are peaceful and some are not.

It also describes Monday's violence as coming at the end of the day, after an hours-long police crackdown using tear gas. It describes tear gas being thrown into people's yards while they are talking to reporters.

I don't see it as intellectually dishonest to take notice of the fact that the police response to different situations has been non-discriminant.

It also describes Monday's violence as coming at the end of the day, after an hours-long police crackdown using tear gas. It describes tear gas being thrown into people's yards while they are talking to reporters.

I don't see it as intellectually dishonest to take notice of the fact that the police response to different situations has been non-discriminant.

Of course you don't. No matter what the police say or do you will not see any response of theirs as justified.

The protests had already turned violent by Monday. Arson, looting and other acts started on Sunday. But no need to mention that.

I am not a fan of all the police actions and tactics. (for example I am appaled that they are using concussion grenades) But you are presenting this as only one side being in the wrong and that simply is willful ignorance.

Edit: But there have been protests with a police present that have gone off witout a hitch. Such as ones done in front of the police department and some held by the NAACP at local churches. But that doesn't fit into your narrative.

Of course you don't. No matter what the police say or do you will not see any response of theirs as justified.

Because when I say the police should use an appropriate response, what you read is that I don't think the police can ever respond in a justified fashion. That's remarkable.

The protests had already turned violent by Monday. Arson, looting and other acts started on Sunday. But no need to mention that.

When I said "More than a day after the rioting, ...", to what did you think I was referring?

I am not a fan of all the police actions and tactics. (for example I am appaled that they are using concussion grenades)

I appreciate your agreement in that.

But you are presenting this as only one side being in the wrong and that simply is willful ignorance.

Yesterday, I said "The looting is wrong. So is throwing tear gas into peaceful protests." Does that read to you as if I only think one side is wrong? I do think one side should be held to higher standard.

Of course, I said that yesterday. An entire day had gone by, and I shouldn't expect you to react on Thursday to as if it were Wednesday, much like we shouldn't expect the police to react to Monday's activities as if they were Sunday's activities.

Because when I say the police should use an appropriate response, what you read is that I don't think the police can ever respond in a justified fashion. That's remarkable.

When I said "More than a day after the rioting, ...", to what did you think I was referring?

I appreciate your agreement in that.

Yesterday, I said "The looting is wrong. So is throwing tear gas into peaceful protests." Does that read to you as if I only think one side is wrong? I do think one side should be held to higher standard.

Of course, I said that yesterday. An entire day had gone by, and I shouldn't expect you to react on Thursday to as if it were Wednesday, much like we shouldn't expect the police to react to Monday's activities as if they were Sunday's activities.

It does not happen only at night. There was a drive by shooting at the protest int he middle of the afternoon on Tuesday I think. These protests have shown each and every day that they are being poisoned by a violent element. But you will make no allowances for that.

Simply want to paint this bad cop scenario. Now you can go to bed tonight knowing that your slef righteous keyboard war has made a difference! That you have damned the man no matter what. You can feel good about yourself again One Brow.

This is the part where you demonstrate your fake anger. Good bye.

Not that I had any real respect for you prior to this deluge of ignorant stupidity, but I wouldn't piss on you to put out a fire.

Just out of curiosity, when someone breaks into your anymore.or your child goes missing, who are you planning on calling? I'll answer that for you: the police. Hate the individuals who perpetrate those ugly abuses of power, but don't roll every cop into the same load of horse ****. People with your mindset make me sick.

For all of the cops out there who put their *** on the line every day for me, my family, and even the worthless *** wipes like HighlandHomo, I give you my thanks and best wishes. Much respect to you for doing a job that the vast majority of us don't have the balls and courage to do. (That includes me)

Oh please!

Don't act like you have respect for hard working anericans.(that includes cops). We already had this discussion dummy, and you already made it clear that anyone who puts in work is stupid, and you got it made because you do as little as possible. Remember that? Remember me sticking up for everyone who makes this thing go (not including you).

Remember your whole purpose in life is to leach off the rest of us. If you don't work then you don't pay taxes. Which means you are getting a free service from the cops when your bitching *** calls for help. Please don't use my police force that I pay for anymore.

Please start having consistency in what you stand for. Douche Bag.

In my 37 years on this earth I can't remember one time that I have needed assistance from the police and received it. I have however had my head spilt open by be being slammed into a brick wall by a cop at school because I mooned a classmate when I was 16 years old. And been harassed numerous times. And arrested for having a small amount of pot (luckily I was 17 at the time)

Wonder what it is I'm paying for.

I have called the cops when people were doing illegal fireworks near my house after midnight..... nothing was done.
My car gets broken into.... I call the cops. Didn't do any good.
My fence is always getting tagged and nothing we keep sending pictures I to the police but nothing is ever done. (We asked for a streetlight to be put on our corner, to no avail)

It does not happen only at night. There was a drive by shooting at the protest int he middle of the afternoon on Tuesday I think. These protests have shown each and every day that they are being poisoned by a violent element. But you will make no allowances for that.

I expect violence by protesters will be met by violence with the police. I make no allowances for the police to initiate violence. I certainly don't think protester violence on Tuesday justifies police violence the day before, nor do I think protester violence on Sunday justifies police violence on Monday. Do you?

For that matter, do you think the police violence on Monday might have had an influence on protester violence on Tuesday?

The Ferguson cops are out of control - assaulting/arresting reporters sitting in a McDonalds.

https://gawker.com/washington-post-huffpo-reporters-arrested-in-ferguson-1621284034

Throwing tear gas on a camera crew and them dismantling their equipment.

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/13/60011...sts-teargassed-by-security-forces-in-ferguson

Lobbing tear gas on to some guy's property for no apparent reason.

https://www.slate.com/blogs/the_sla...apparently_unarmed_residents_face_attack.html

This press has turned completely against them and it's going to spring board into a national problem if someone doesn't get them under control.

The Ferguson cops are out of control - assaulting/arresting reporters sitting in a McDonalds.

https://gawker.com/washington-post-huffpo-reporters-arrested-in-ferguson-1621284034

Throwing tear gas on a camera crew and them dismantling their equipment.

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/13/60011...sts-teargassed-by-security-forces-in-ferguson

Lobbing tear gas on to some guy's property for no apparent reason.

https://www.slate.com/blogs/the_sla...apparently_unarmed_residents_face_attack.html

This press has turned completely against them and it's going to spring board into a national problem if someone doesn't get them under control.

Yeah the arrest of those reporters was way over the line. All reports had them working at the McDonalds when they got busted.

As for the spring board. I only see it getting worse. To be honest I am surprised that a gun fight has not broken out. That a cop gets nervous and shoots or a rioter shoots from within the crowd and it all falls apart.

Then we have a headline about 4 cops and 25 protesters shot.

Edit: Since then there has been a police shooting in LA and SLC that I am surprised have not touched off more outrage since it was in the middle of this Ferguson nightmare.

tumblr_liudfnzhta1qd1fjko1_500.gif

In my 37 years on this earth I can't remember one time that I have needed assistance from the police and received it. I have however had my head spilt open by be being slammed into a brick wall by a cop at school because I mooned a classmate when I was 16 years old. And been harassed numerous times. And arrested for having a small amount of pot (luckily I was 17 at the time)

Wonder what it is I'm paying for.

I have called the cops when people were doing illegal fireworks near my house after midnight..... nothing was done.
My car gets broken into.... I call the cops. Didn't do any good.
My fence is always getting tagged and nothing we keep sending pictures I to the police but nothing is ever done. (We asked for a streetlight to be put on our corner, to no avail)

This is basically my experience with the police. Something gets tagged or stolen and they simply don't care. When I was 20 I had a guy break into my house in the middle of the night. I chased him out but was unable to pursue due to being in the nude. I called the police to report the man and they didn't even show up. I have been harassed by the police and I don't know anyone with a story of how the police had personally helped them.

I know that cops do some good and that there are decent reasonable officers out there but from my perspective it seems that the job is 5% service and 95% state sponsored harassment.