What's new

Police Power and Racial Tensions in Ferguson, Missouri

In my 37 years on this earth I can't remember one time that I have needed assistance from the police and received it. I have however had my head spilt open by be being slammed into a brick wall by a cop at school because I mooned a classmate when I was 16 years old. And been harassed numerous times. And arrested for having a small amount of pot (luckily I was 17 at the time)

Wonder what it is I'm paying for.

I have called the cops when people were doing illegal fireworks near my house after midnight..... nothing was done.
My car gets broken into.... I call the cops. Didn't do any good.
My fence is always getting tagged and nothing we keep sending pictures I to the police but nothing is ever done. (We asked for a streetlight to be put on our corner, to no avail)

Damn, that sucks. If they're always tagging the same part of your fence, could you install a video recorder or something? Maybe get them on camera, unmasked, hopefully.

One of the biggest problems is we trust mostly uneducated people to protect us. Generally, to become a cop all you need is a high school degree, yet we expect this people to make logical decisions in high pressure situations. Of course bad things will happen.

Not to say there are not many good, smart, hard-working officers out there, I just think most aren't.

This is basically my experience with the police. Something gets tagged or stolen and they simply don't care. When I was 20 I had a guy break into my house in the middle of the night. I chased him out but was unable to pursue due to being in the nude. I called the police to report the man and they didn't even show up. I have been harassed by the police and I don't know anyone with a story of how the police had personally helped them.

I know that cops do some good and that there are decent reasonable officers out there but from my perspective it seems that the job is 5% service and 95% state sponsored harassment.

I had this problem once where I had $200 I didn't know what to do with, and the cops helped me figure out how to spend it by writing me a ticket for parking in the wrong direction in front of my own house, where I left the car running while I ran inside to get my laptop for work which I had forgotten that morning. They wrote the ticket, placed it on a running vehicle that was obviously only going to be there for a short time, and left faster than I could get back outside. Cost me $200. That was very nice of him, considering my neighbor owned about a dozen cars that he parked however the hell he felt like all the time all over the neighborhood taking everyone elses parking places on the street and never got a ticket for it.

Damn, that sucks. If they're always tagging the same part of your fence, could you install a video recorder or something? Maybe get them on camera, unmasked, hopefully.
I have thought about this and may end up doing it..... expensive though and I suck at installing things like that.

Militarization of police in this country is a real problem. The killing of Mike Brown, and what transpired after in Ferguson will go down as a critical historical event - or if it passes by following another big news story than we're all ****ed.

What do you speak? American have highest crime rate in developed world. We need even more police state for protecting the women children and elderly.

It's the difference between the actions of civilians who have faced various aggressions and microaggressions on a continuing basis over years on the one hand, and professionals in a government uniform on the other.

So, these people face aggressions and micro aggressions on a continual basis for years, so it's ok and understandable for them to go loot people who did nothing to them to get back at the people that did do something to them?

That's not understandable. That's idiotic. Just as idiotic as spraying tear gas on innocent civilians. The PD in Ferguson clearly has some problems, serious problems, that need to be fixed…but that doesn't make looting rational or understanding. Both are wrong, end of story.

EDIT: I didn't realize you said the looting was wrong too. My bad. Just ignore me.

FWIW, we are entering (or have already entered) a police state as a country. This needs to be fixed. I personally think the standards for being a cop are far too low, and they are allowed to get away with far too much with zero or little repercussions.

FWIW, we are entering (or have already entered) a police state as a country. This needs to be fixed. I personally think the standards for being a cop are far too low, and they are allowed to get away with far too much with zero or little repercussions.

Perhaps the only way to fix that issue is to increase the salaries for the police force in order to get a better recruit. Would you agree?

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];890428 said:
Perhaps the only way to fix that issue is to increase the salaries for the police force in order to get a better recruit. Would you agree?

Maybe. If we could get the police force to self-police a little more and eliminate the bad eggs and have a little more punishment that actually causes them to realize they can't get away with everything, then I think that would force them to bring in a higher quality recruit and realize that they have to pay more to get them. I'm not a huge fan of somebody forcing them to increase salaries, I don't think that would fix much to be honest. Just higher paid idiots.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];890428 said:

Along with that I'd consider raising other requirements. Perhaps, educational, fitness and psychological requirements. Weed out those not desirable for the position and then reward thos that do meet the new requirments accordingly.

Maybe. If we could get the police force to self-police a little more and eliminate the bad eggs and have a little more punishment that actually causes them to realize they can't get away with everything, then I think that would force them to bring in a higher quality recruit and realize that they have to pay more to get them. I'm not a huge fan of somebody forcing them to increase salaries, I don't think that would fix much to be honest. Just higher paid idiots.

Threat of punishment rarely increases good policing outcomes. This is the USA... the only equalizer and culture-changer is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Gotta know your history.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];890433 said:
Threat of punishment rarely increases good policing outcomes. This is the USA... the only equalizer and culture-changer is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Gotta know your history.

It's not the threat of punishment, it's the enforcement of punishment.

If we don't work for that change first, then the increasing of pay does nothing.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];890435 said:
How do you suppose we should raise the revenue required to pay police officers more??

We do not need to raise the revenue, it is already there. There were threads on that in GD a year or two ago I believe. First place I'd start is reviewing, and cutting, all foreign aid and all research projects. Even military ones.

What reasons do you have for think standards is to low? You know anything of being raised to the badge or this is more you country bumpkin speak?

Police dont self-police? More liberal indoctrination go back to your MSNBC.

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];890441 said:
What reasons do you have for think standards is to low? You know anything of being raised to the badge or this is more you country bumpkin speak?

Probably because the same moron in my class who could barely read and write is a cop. He couldn't even get a job as a security guard at K-Mart, but he could become a cop.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];890435 said:
How do you suppose we should raise the revenue required to pay police officers more??

1)Legalize and tax marijuana

2)Fire 1/4 of all police and increase the salaries of those that remain. I understand this wouldn't be acceptable everywhere but I think here in Utah at least we have more officers than we need.

There would be boatloads of cash left over tbh

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];890470 said:
LOL. Whatever, brauggh. You're starting to sound like Dalawag with your ridiculous (and false) dichotomies.

This is where you lose it. You were doing good then you just default to this and forfeit any ground you where making. IMO at least.

1)Legalize and tax marijuana

2)Fire 1/4 of all police and increase the salaries of those that remain. I understand this wouldn't be acceptable everywhere but I think here in Utah at least we have more officers than we need.

There would be boatloads of cash left over tbh

I'd vote for #1 anytime anywhere.