What's new

Poll: Should the Jazz Match Hayward's $15.75 a year/4 year Contract?

Should They Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll admit I was wrong about this one. He hasn't been spectacular, and he's a bit inconsistent at times, but he's easily worth this contract so far. He's been very good this season.

He said he hoped he put up those numbers. If I say that I hope Exum becomes a 20/10 player, that doesn't mean I think I will. Hoping for something does not mean a projection, it usually means you think those numbers are out of reach.
True. You are right

Stifle Tower's level of speculation is beyond ridiculous. You are always talking about mythical stuff like Hayward wants to play for Stevens, or Hayward has already decided he is opting out, or Gobert is already this, or that. Just enjoy that we have a good player or two.

If you are bitching about him being worth money, and opting out and crap, then you had better be happy with his play when he deserves it. IF he doesn't deserve, then no sweat of the jazz' back and they don't keep him. It's really pretty simple.

I think people are worried that he is worth 17 mil and might get paid 23 mil.

Sometimes guys get paid alot more than they are worth in the nba. I have seen it happen

That's what we might be worried about imo

Or how about all the love for Lance Stephenson? I remember a lot of people on the bandwagon for signing him instead.

Oh my goodness, I can't believe anybody thought that. I remember thinking how ridiculous a thought it was that the Jazz would even be remotely interested in Stephenson. So glad we have smart management.

I think people are worried that he is worth 17 mil and might get paid 23 mil.

Sometimes guys get paid alot more than they are worth in the nba. I have seen it happen

That's what we might be worried about imo
Joe Johnson comes to mind, but I think Hayward is a smarter player than him. And Hayward doesn't have a coach who is obsessed with Iso play. Who knows though, good point.

Lets look at the players people thought we should sign instead!

Trevor Ariza: 12/5/2 on 37% shooting overall, 32% from 3. He's 29, has played ~18,645 minutes, and got a 4/32 contract.

Luol Deng: 14/5/2 on 49% shooting overall, 37% from 3. He's 29, has played ~25,560 minutes, and got a 2/20 contract.

Chandler Parsons: 15/4/2 on 46% shooting overall, 37% from 3. He's 26, has played ~8,900 minutes, and got a 4/46 contract.

Gordon Hayward: 19/5/4 on 45% shooting overall, 38% from 3. He's 24, has played ~9,700 minutes and got a 4/63 contract.

Considering our need for Hayward to be a creator (which nobody else on this does), I think we made the right deal, and I think it was a pretty fair deal. That's what the market was for SF's this year. Obviously we all would have liked for Hayward to be paid less, but he's a really good player who has kept on improving.

Fish, Hants, and Bline all freaking out right now calling people names, making asses of themselves, out of control, the world is on fire.

Fish, Hants, and Bline all freaking out right now calling people names, making asses of themselves, out of control, the world is on fire.
Quote me where I called sometime a name again.
I was not even rude.

Why you making stuff up hack?

But is a new coach ever gonna get him to play better/tougher defense? He isn't tough enough at the 3, and he isn't quick enough to chase down smaller 2's.

Offensively, even if he starts making those 3's, he's still not going to become a consistent 20+ scorer in this league. He's definitely not someone u throw the ball to with 10 seconds left and let him go to work neither.

So my question is - can we justify paying someone MAX who isn't going to score you 20+ points on a nightly basis, NOR is he a 2-way player who gives you a defensive presence at the other end as well?

He is a jack of all trades - a master of none.

Pretty sure Hayward is a top 10 ISO player this year.

Hayward is getting to be borderline superstar. But even so, he didn't get the superstar contract. He did not get Paul George money. Hayward could opt out and get the true max if he is worth it, and the Jazz can pay more than any other team to keep him. Honestly, I really hope he is worth it, opts out of the final year of his contract, and we give him a 5 year max contract. It would be awesome if he became that type of player. If you are bitching about him being worth money, and opting out and crap, then you had better be happy with his play when he deserves it. IF he doesn't deserve, then no sweat of the jazz' back and they don't keep him. It's really pretty simple.

Well, he wasn't eligible for the type of contract George got as he hasn't made all-star or all-NBA teams. Don't get me wrong. I am happy about his play thus far, although he's got a ways to go before he's considered one of the best in the league. Simply being the best player on a bad team doesn't mean you're worthy of a max contract. I'm encouraged by the progress he's made, adding physicality and that step-back jumper to his arsenal. He's a bit hard to evaluate because he's not a scorer; his value is always going to be tied to his overall game. Plus, he's handicapped by being on a team where defenders can largely ignore the guards. I guess I feel about Gordon the way Larry H. did about AK when he said he wasn't a max player right now, but would be by the end of his contract. However, unlike AK, Gordon has shown he's willing to continue to work to improve his game.

Also, I never said it's likely Hayward is going to bolt Utah. But his opt-out clause is cause for concern. Hayward isn't LBJ; he isn't Durant. Does Utah want to pay him like those players in 3 years? I think that's a valid thing to consider.

Last edited:
Here are my main reasons for not matching:
1) G Time doesn't make his teammates better. Examples are big al, millsap, and carroll all leaving and becoming better players.
2) His stats were inflated last year. If you can't see that then your thumb is up your ***. People say, "but he was one of five players who averaged 15-5-5.." He also had the ball in his hand 95% of every offensive possession. He had more opportunity to create assists, and also to score. The results were pretty on his stat sheet, but also the worst record in the west. (15-5-5 shooting horrifically from the 3)
3) I believe exum will run the offense, which will decrease G's stats. Sire, his fg% might go up, but his assists and ppg will level off to pre last year numbers.
4) If burks and kanter do well next year and we pay big money for them, that's basically our salary cap til we extenf exum.
5) AK all over. Just because we have money doesn't mean we need to spend money
6) jazz were ****ing TERRIBLE last year with Gordon as the #1 option. Why in the hell would we reward that ???

lol

Seahawks fans

Gordon Hayward is in the top 20 in the NBA in scoring, but he's not a scorer. Gosh I love this place.