What's new

Portland

Karl Malone would be a better example of improving shooting that Simmon's could follow. For his sake hopefully he had Malone's work ethic to become a decent shooter.

Malone couldn't shoot free throws and had no jump shot coming into the NBA.
I'm the biggest Malone fan I know and think Simmons could potentially have a better career. Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y735v2qp

This the trade Portland should do.

Portland gets a more balanced starting lineup with more size. Fournier is a decent spot up guy, Simmons is an athletic slasher who can handle more than any of their current wings, and Isaac has a lot of potential as a modern 4.

Orlando finally gets a first option. Their "big 3" could be Gordon, McCollum, and whoever they draft this year (maybe Doncic?).

Last edited:
I stopped reading at "very few people are good." Honestly, I did. Even if it's true, what a ****** perspective to have. #glasshalffull

Not trying to understand the perspective of others is ignorance, which just a matter of hours ago you seemed pretty vigilantly opposed to. But right on, you do you.

Neither had the terrible shot mechanics of Simmons though. Is not only a matter of improving a shot, is learning how to shoot at the late age of 21/22 years old. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will require a huge amount of work and dedication from Simmons.

The biggest factor imo is that he’s pretty damn good without a jumper already. He will easily have a long profitable career without any real improvement. Does he coast on his natural ability or does he go the extra mile and get that jump shot? I don’t know enough about his personality to predict that.

I'm the biggest Malone fan I know and think Simmons could potentially have a better career. Thoughts?
He has the potential to but chances are he wont live up to that potential. But a lot of players come in to the league with the potential to be great. He has the physical tools and seems smart. The only thing I question is his work ethic and personality to become that good.

But if I am betting on it I would be against him reaching HOF and multiple MVP level.

I guess but it was a different time... can u imagine a coach seeing that body in the gym and telling him to work on his jumper? He legitimately may not have worked on it until coming in the league.

Ben has had some free time the last couple years and the kids start working a lot earlier... he will get better at free throws but I’m not convinced he will ever reach Rondos level as a shooter.

I disagree shooting was just as important for a PF then as it is now. Especially if you are talking about FTs. PFs didnt need to shoot from 3 but that mid range jump shot was a staple of almost every PF in the NBA and being able to hit your FTs as a PF is very important.

Chris Webber is another good comparison for Simmons. He was just as bad at FTs and jump shots and developed into an okay shooter. I think bigs in general are a better comparison than Guards in the NBA. Simmons probably played as a big a lot when he was younger being so tall and didnt focus as much on shooting since he had the ability to get into the paint and score pretty easily.

He certainly can develop a shot but only if he has a good work ethic. I have no idea what his work ethic is like but we will see next season what his FTs look like and it will be easy to see.

I disagree shooting was just as important for a PF then as it is now. Especially if you are talking about FTs. PFs didnt need to shoot from 3 but that mid range jump shot was a staple of almost every PF in the NBA and being able to hit your FTs as a PF is very important.

Chris Webber is another good comparison for Simmons. He was just as bad at FTs and jump shots and developed into an okay shooter. I think bigs in general are a better comparison than Guards in the NBA. Simmons probably played as a big a lot when he was younger being so tall and didnt focus as much on shooting since he had the ability to get into the paint and score pretty easily.

He certainly can develop a shot but only if he has a good work ethic. I have no idea what his work ethic is like but we will see next season what his FTs look like and it will be easy to see.

Wait so I said a coach wouldn’t have Malone work on jumpers in HS and College... you disagreed... then said a coach wouldn’t have Ben work on it cuz he’s a big?

Look maybe he hasn’t worked on it but I need some consistency here.

I play a ton of pickup ball... I play with some guys a little younger than mailman... they were playing HS ball when the three point line was implemented in HS. Their coaches told them if they shoot it in a game they can sit in the bench. One made two threes in a row in a game and was benched... bro... it was a different time and guys mailman’s size got their *** on the block. He probably shot around but I’m guessing mailman didn’t start working hard on his jumper until he was a pro.

I think Ben has worked on it... it’s just a different era... he will be good either way but I’m not convinced he will ever be an average shooter.

Jeez, back to topic...

Portland should trade CJ. If they could include somebody like Myers Leonard or Turner with CJ, Portland's financial situation could look fine quickly. If I'm a team like Atlanta (cap space and 3 1st rounders), I look at CJ.

I'm pretty high on Collins. I think he will be a good pro for a while. If we got the feeling that Favors is leaving, I would consider something based around trading Burks for a bad contract and Collins.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Who would have predicted Portland would be the first team out, and possibly the only sweep in the first round? (I predict GSW gets lazy in game 4.)

Stotts is rumored to be on the outs.
I think Stotts has done a great job with that roster. They have overachieved 2 years in a row imo. They have a hopeless salary cap situation though. I have no idea what they should do, but trading McCollum would be near the top of the list.