What's new

Potential Trade Targets

Brooklyn is on the decline. Heading to a potential rebuild. How many picks would you give up for Mikel Bridges? He fits the mold of what we are needing. A 6’6 wing, bonafide bucket, creator, two way player. Does he take the Jazz into top 4 in the west?

Could you give up 3-4 picks to open a window here with only the Nuggets in the west as a legit contender while preserving the shot at another window in 4-6 years with Keyonte, Hendricks and future draft assets?

Brooklyn is on the decline. Heading to a potential rebuild. How many picks would you give up for Mikel Bridges? He fits the mold of what we are needing. A 6’6 wing, bonafide bucket, creator, two way player. Does he take the Jazz into top 4 in the west?

Could you give up 3-4 picks to open a window here with only the Nuggets in the west as a legit contender while preserving the shot at another window in 4-6 years with Keyonte, Hendricks and future draft assets?
They dont control their own draft so they wont go into a tanking rebuild. That would just gift high picks to Houston, who owns Nets 1sts unprotected in 2024 and 2026, and also holds swap rights to their 2025 and 2027 picks.

Sometimes you just don't fix what isn't broken. No core player trades right now thanks (unless KO has said he's not coming back, which I don't believe for a second. He has a perfect situation here and we play his kind of basketball.)

I'd like to see us trading THT to somewhere he can get playing time, but he's also just a single injury away from being back in most likely. Unless something really great turns up, I say we stay put.

trading KO definitely messes with the chemistry/rhythm.
I think it hurts the vibes as KO seems like a great hang. Recently on court KO hasn't been fantastic but I think KO's biggest value is when we have injuries he becomes an effing all star. I have wondered if DA would like to see Hendricks after the deadline play in the KO spot in the rotation... I don't think that would sink us per se... but it would be more challenging.

So there are 3 issues on KO:

1- He's our best passer.
2- He's a great injury insurance policy.
3- He's a vibes god.

Biggest benefits in trading him:

1- whatever we get back in return
2- Getting Tay Henny more PT

If #1 is low then I am not sure you can move him. Is it worth 2-3 second rounders? I know your answer already. I think the tipping point is a late first or a potentially valuable swap... and I likely prefer the ladder.

I'd like to see us trading THT to somewhere he can get playing time, but he's also just a single injury away from being back in most likely. Unless something really great turns up, I say we stay put.
I think if JC, Dunn, or Collin got hurt that could be true but I also look at the minutes allocation we have right now and think we'd be fine ramping up a couple guys minutes.

https://theathletic.com/5205884/2024/01/16/knicks-trade-deadline-facilitator-quentin-grimes/

Here's a surprise target with Jordan Clarkson as the bait. He's mentioned in the article... Grimes an improvement over Ochai... is he better than Tech? Maybe eventually. Imagine getting the apple of NY's eye in the JC trade instead of the Don deal... and then turning him into something. Its too juicy to pass up. Let's do it.
Brogdon is probably #1 on the "list". But with their salary structure, needs, etc. its a nice fit with JC's deal.

JC/Yurt for Evan/Grimes.

I'm not convinced that Keyonte will not be a better player than Murray by the end of next year. If he is, what is the point in trading for Murray?

I'm not convinced that Keyonte will not be a better player than Murray by the end of next year. If he is, what is the point in trading for Murray?
I love Keyonte but I would need to see his shooting efficiency get better before we start talking like that.

Key is a guy I like, I believe in him, I do think it could go either way though with him. If his shooting doesn't improve substantially I could see the view on him changing quite a bit. Murray is just theoretically such a good fit as the "big pg" who can defend. He has done it in the past but also has become more theoretical. I think you only buy if the price is right... I think the price might be right if you believe some of the reporting. So its tough to pass on as beggers can't be choosers right.

1- big backcourt player
2- under contract long term at a fine price
3- available
4- may not cost an arm and a leg

I still prefer the wait and develop route with what we have going with Dunn/Sexton... but if they sell at a bargain price its hard to walk away.

JC/Yurt for Grimes/Fournier... do we need to add something? That checks a lot of boxes for me and I think Hardy can work with Grimes. Adds some nice salary flexibility to use to retain Simone/KO/Lauri renegotiate and extend.

JC/Yurt for Grimes/Fournier... do we need to add something? That checks a lot of boxes for me and I think Hardy can work with Grimes. Adds some nice salary flexibility to use to retain Simone/KO/Lauri renegotiate and extend.
No, unless you think Grimes is worth more than a protected first.

Depends on what Murray you are talking about. Dejounte? Or Jamal?

I wouldn't be surprised if Keyonte peaked out as a Jamal Impersonator when all is said and done. A clever scoring guard who is a dual threat to facilitate. I would be shocked if he shared what made Dejounte so intriguing, a lockdown defense first pg who is highly efficient. That just isn't Keyonte. Dejounte of yesteryear was on a pretty elite trajectory until Atlanta Hawked him like a loogie... ;).

I’m down. I think it’s very realistic.

No, unless you think Grimes is worth more than a protected first.
I think he is worth a solid first tbh. So is JC... I think. Not unprotected but light protections and it will likely convey type of deal. I think Yurt would be good to help them with center depth and maybe be a Hartenstein replacement next year if he gets too pricey.

NY gets obsessed with value though so we don't have good seconds to add. Wonder if they would push for like the 2025 Minny pick and send the two protected picks they own from Detroit and Washington... now that they see those picks are going to have fairly low trade value.