What's new

Potential Trade Targets

I mean if it wasn't for his off court issue, Giddey really should be on top of the list.

I know the THT experiment failed but Hardy definitely had his ideas behind that experiment. Well, Giddey has everything to succeed in what THT failed. His passing ability alone could have opened up a lot of plays that Hardy would like to run but couldn't due to lack of elite passer on the roster. He's also a very cut heavy guy who likes to run at a fast tempo which is tailor made for our system.

View: https://youtu.be/PUwu_tiPvuQ?si=z67OZJIKLHmhQ34w

I mean if it wasn't for his off court issue, Giddey really should be on top of the list.

I know the THT experiment failed but Hardy definitely had his ideas behind that experiment. Well, Giddey has everything to succeed in what THT failed. His passing ability alone could have opened up a lot of plays that Hardy would like to run but couldn't due to lack of elite passer on the roster. He's also a very cut heavy guy who likes to run at a fast tempo which is tailor made for our system.

View: https://youtu.be/PUwu_tiPvuQ?si=z67OZJIKLHmhQ34w

Could be right.

Didnt it come out that it happened his rookie year, and she was like 17 vs him being 19?

Could be right.

Didnt it come out that it happened his rookie year, and she was like 17 vs him being 19?
Either way OKC will have to make a decision soon cuz I think they are very much on board with the SGA/Chet/JDub trio. Giddey is the odd man out who also has his contract negotiation coming up. If they fail to agree to an extension, they might be forced to sell in the coming months.

Either way OKC will have to make a decision soon cuz I think they are very much on board with the SGA/Chet/JDub trio. Giddey is the odd man out who also has his contract negotiation coming up. If they fail to agree to an extension, they might be forced to sell in the coming months.
They got another year before they forced to do anything with Giddey. I'm sure they will wait until next season or this upcoming off-season.

OKC still hastn seen their core in a playoff series, so I think they just hold.

They got another year before they forced to do anything with Giddey. I'm sure they will wait until next season or this upcoming off-season.

OKC still hastn seen their core in a playoff series, so I think they just hold.
Depends on how much they wanna pay him. They not gonna throw big money on who they consider as their fourth option and I don't think Giddey’s camp would appreciate being low balled by OKC either. I can see them moving him as early as this summer after they realize they would either move him for something now or losing him for nothing when he sign an offer sheet with another team that they are unwilling to match in 2025.

Just ran through the numbers real quick. We need to keep 15M clear to re-negotiate and extend Lauri. We have about 40M+. We can retain all the cap holds for KO, Tech, Dunn and still keep the 15M in space needed by about 3M. KO's cap hold is the only big one at 18M... and we could extend him after the deadline and his real salary would be lower than the cap hold.

If we want to do anything with space we likely trade KO or JC. We could move on from both, renegotiate Lauri, keep Tech and Dunn... and have about 35M in space to play with (depending on other moves) this summer.

Just ran through the numbers real quick. We need to keep 15M clear to re-negotiate and extend Lauri. We have about 40M+. We can retain all the cap holds for KO, Tech, Dunn and still keep the 15M in space needed by about 3M. KO's cap hold is the only big one at 18M... and we could extend him after the deadline and his real salary would be lower than the cap hold.

If we want to do anything with space we likely trade KO or JC. We could move on from both, renegotiate Lauri, keep Tech and Dunn... and have about 35M in space to play with (depending on other moves) this summer.
What's the incentive for Lauri to do this? Wouldn't he get more money from the Jazz if he waits?

What's the incentive for Lauri to do this? Wouldn't he get more money from the Jazz if he waits?
He can get a 15M raise next year for nothing. He can lock in a max (the same max he'd get) for the year after and following 4 years. So he'd potentially get $15M more over 5 years... he gets it a year earlier and locks in the generation altering money he would get anyway. Sabonis did this in the offseason. I would almost bet this has been brought up to his people and given some sign of interest on Lauri's part.

Its a no brainer for both.

Jazz need a wing who can facilitate, defend and make some shots. We're leaning heavily on Olynyk to do that stuff, but we're probably going to lose him at some point.

If the Jazz weren't in a hurry to win games this year, I'd like to see what Brice can do in an on-ball role with good players around him.

This how streak isn't making things easier for the FO. THT and Clarkson are the only players I'd try to move at this point. I'd keep KO if we can't replace him with another player who can pass the ball. And I'd keep Dunn as well.

This how streak isn't making things easier for the FO. THT and Clarkson are the only players I'd try to move at this point. I'd keep KO if we can't replace him with another player who can pass the ball. And I'd keep Dunn as well.
I am still okay moving KO and JC. Especially as it seems it isn't completely unreasonable to get a first for one of them or similar value in young players. I think if we can't function at an acceptable level with Tay Henny in for KO for 10 minutes a night or if JC is necessary to keep the offense afloat that I want that data point. You can also get 20-35M in cap space while doing all the other stuff you need to this offseason.

Zach Lowe mentioned that every team would want KO basically so he may net a surprising return. He said unless it was a solid first he would keep him.

Tarde Collins for expirings. Hayward or Paul.

I am still okay moving KO and JC. Especially as it seems it isn't completely unreasonable to get a first for one of them or similar value in young players. I think if we can't function at an acceptable level with Tay Henny in for KO for 10 minutes a night or if JC is necessary to keep the offense afloat that I want that data point. You can also get 20-35M in cap space while doing all the other stuff you need to this offseason.

Zach Lowe mentioned that every team would want KO basically so he may net a surprising return. He said unless it was a solid first he would keep him.
If we can't function at an acceptable level with Hendricks playing 10 minutes in place of Olynyk, then that's as good of an indication that we are nowhere near being a good enough team to be focusing on vibes and riding things out.

Tarde Collins for expirings. Hayward or Paul.
GS won't add salary for next year... They gonna take some tax savings. Hayward is something I could see... if Hornets aren't bringing back Bridges. I would do it but I'm not a John Collins guy. He's played better but I need to see him shoot this well above the break over a bigger sample before buying in. Gordo comes with some baggage and he is noticeably slowing... still an effective player right now.

My reiterations:

The streak is good and it is fun. But there will be other streaks during this season that may go the other way where we're going to feel like, "damn, trade _____ as we pivot to the future" and everyone is going to agree how there's no value out there for _____ and we're just SOL. Remember how many ups and downs we had last year in our valuations of Vanderbilt? How irrelevant are any of those discussions now? We can talk about riding things out with JC or Olynyk, and yeah maybe get more value by letting them expire than trading them for seconds (DA isn't do that anyway so we can forget about it), but if we can get anything of real value then we need to. Us talking about the Olynyk feel-goods will likely be drastically irrelevant in one year, and completely irrelevant the next.

Right now, people would be absolutely fine throwing THT out for nothing. There's going to be injury or something and over a 7-14 day span it will transition to "OMG maybe THT has something and we should consider him part of our young development" and people are going to talk about re-signing him.

Understand the ebb and flow of perceived value and recognize that whatever current moment we're in is not the ultimate vantage point of eternity.

If we can't function at an acceptable level with Hendricks playing 10 minutes in place of Olynyk, then that's as good of an indication that we are nowhere near being a good enough team to be focusing on vibes and riding things out.
Exactly... I think Taylor has been fine in his limited minutes. Go sit in the corner and do stuff when we throw it to you. Be reasonably aggressive on defense. If we suck go get the passing and stuff KO brings in another long term piece.

Exactly... I think Taylor has been fine in his limited minutes. Go sit in the corner and do stuff when we throw it to you. Be reasonably aggressive on defense. If we suck go get the passing and stuff KO brings in another long term piece.
Also, the whole idea (in general) of KO vs. Taylor for minutes is so stupid because it's the biggest false dichotomy and ignores the real issue -- why TF we volunteered to take on Collins.