What's new

Potential Trade Targets

Sure that would be tempting but it appears Lakers are not willing to do that for Dejounte and are now looking to acquire either Sexton or Tyus on "the cheap" for lesser salary matching assets. No way Ainge is giving away any of our contributors esp with Lauri ready to "win now."
I think Lakers would do a first for Dejounte... I think the issue is Hawks want that and Reaves.

If the Lakers offered to remove protections on the 2027 pick, gave us their 2030 pick outright and gave us a super swap for 2029 (we can swap with any pick we own Cavs, Minny or our own) then DA should consider it if he believes this run out of Sexton is not really who he is (I mean the 20 games... not the last 6). If we do that then we should just move Lauri too as they clearly don't have plans to be serious in the next few years.

I think you are correct though and this rumor may be old stuff cycling through when teams thought they could get Sexton for the same price as a guy like Tyus... but the Sexton business has been booming and prices are through the roof now. Sorry broke boys.

I think Lakers would do a first for Dejounte... I think the issue is Hawks want that and Reaves.

If the Lakers offered to remove protections on the 2027 pick, gave us their 2030 pick outright and gave us a super swap for 2029 (we can swap with any pick we own Cavs, Minny or our own) then DA should consider it if he believes this run out of Sexton is not really who he is (I mean the 20 games... not the last 6). If we do that then we should just move Lauri too as they clearly don't have plans to be serious in the next few years.

I think you are correct though and this rumor may be old stuff cycling through when teams thought they could get Sexton for the same price as a guy like Tyus... but the Sexton business has been booming and prices are through the roof now. Sorry broke boys.
A Sexton Lakers deal would complete the double down payment theory though... so there is that.

It sounds like Grimes is on the outs with Thibs. JC/Yurt for Fournier/Grimes... I really like that deal for us. Grimes might be better than Tech and Ochai. Opens up some serious cap potential or to essentially run it back with flexibility.

It will be like the Clippers trade for George… “don’t think of it as SGA and 4 picks [or whatever it was] for PG, think of it was SGA and 4 picks for PG and Kawhi.” We’ll be saying “don’t think of it as Gabe Vincent for Collin Sexton, think of it as Gabe Vincent AND THT for Sexton!”

People are going to be pissed when we trade Sexton to the Lakers for a garbage return and realize that THT was the down payment.
Its more an installment sale theory if another deal happens.

I don't think there is much of a chance we trade Sexton. I think if he puts together a full season of his starter output then his trade value would double from whatever it is right now... So even if trade Danny has a notion I think its a "stock" where you let the value run rather than cashing on a big bounce.

Mathurin? Zero chance I’m trading anywhere near 3 firsts for him.
Yeah, I am not saying I would either. I was responding to Old timer's post:

is there a small forward 6'7" or taller who can really shoot the ball that could be had for KO and TNT along with 3 first round picks from the jazz. push all in a go for it. i just dont know what that buys. who could we get if we really tried? please dont say zach lavine. i want a young up and comer who has real potential.

Mathurin and Ingram seemed like two of the best 6'7"+ wings that could bring next level to the team if we wanted to throw 3 picks at someone. I think Brandon Ingram would be worth 2 first round picks and a combo of Ochai and an expiring or two. He is an impressive player. But he doesn't seem driven to win so for that reason, I don't know that I would do it. Mathurin is going to be good, but how good? I don't know. Not 3 first round picks good, but old timer is looking to win, which I like that mentality.

Its more an installment sale theory if another deal happens.

I don't think there is much of a chance we trade Sexton. I think if he puts together a full season of his starter output then his trade value would double from whatever it is right now... So even if trade Danny has a notion I think its a "stock" where you let the value run rather than cashing on a big bounce.
Why would we trade Sexton? We are winning with him. We have him locked up for 3 more years at a really reasonable contract. He fits.

The only reason to trade him would be if we get blown away by offers. We are in a position to get greedy. Ainge gets greedy when he has nothing so he has to be doubly stingy now.

If we had a cheap path to Dejounte Murray AND we got unprotected Laker's 1st round picks then maybe we replace Collin with Dejounte while picking up top assets. I doubt we get more for Sex than we would have to give up for Dejounte, but who knows.

This team is playing really well right now so let's let it cook for a bit until 2000 Charlize Theron begs us to go to Prom with her.

Mathurin and Ingram seemed like two of the best 6'7"+ wings that could bring next level to the team if we wanted to throw 3 picks at someone. I think Brandon Ingram would be worth 2 first round picks and a combo of Ochai and an expiring or two. He is an impressive player. But he doesn't seem driven to win so for that reason, I don't know that I would do it. Mathurin is going to be good, but how good? I don't know. Not 3 first round picks good, but old timer is looking to win, which I like that mentality.
Mathurin isnt 6'7. He's not even 6'6

Mathurin doesn’t do anything outside of score. He would drive us insane if he played here.

is there a small forward 6'7" or taller who can really shoot the ball that could be had for KO and TNT along with 3 first round picks from the jazz. push all in a go for it. i just dont know what that buys. who could we get if we really tried? please dont say zach lavine. i want a young up and comer who has real potential.

The only player that I have interest in that fits this bill is Trey Murphy and I would give up a pretty good haul to snag him.

The only player that I have interest in that fits this bill is Trey Murphy and I would give up a pretty good haul to snag him.
Next year this time that will be a discussion. Not entirely certain what NOLA's cap stuff is, but they are cheap and they have a lot of expensive players.

I would think they end up doing stuff to move around money so they can keep him, but not entirely sure what they can/cant do.

Why would we trade Sexton? We are winning with him. We have him locked up for 3 more years at a really reasonable contract. He fits.

The only reason to trade him would be if we get blown away by offers. We are in a position to get greedy. Ainge gets greedy when he has nothing so he has to be doubly stingy now.

If we had a cheap path to Dejounte Murray AND we got unprotected Laker's 1st round picks then maybe we replace Collin with Dejounte while picking up top assets. I doubt we get more for Sex than we would have to give up for Dejounte, but who knows.

This team is playing really well right now so let's let it cook for a bit until 2000 Charlize Theron begs us to go to Prom with her.
If Ainge isn't a long term believer in Collin. His name was out there last summer so maybe Ainge doesn't see his play as something sustainable and "sells high".

I don't think he sees it that way and I agree we are keeping him. If we did move him I think that would be the thinking behind it.

Collin Sexton is the new Isaiah Thomas.

Only way I see DA trading him is for a clear upgrade, like what he did to get Kyrie.

Next year this time that will be a discussion. Not entirely certain what NOLA's cap stuff is, but they are cheap and they have a lot of expensive players.

I would think they end up doing stuff to move around money so they can keep him, but not entirely sure what they can/cant do.
They are in a really good position salary wise going forward so odds are they wouldn't even think about moving him unless it was a serious overpay. Some type of overpay that brought back a current win now piece and picks.

KO situation is interesting. Do we punt on cap space aspirations this year and try to extend him? If we don't extend him, do we try to fetch a first for him right now?

He could get an extension starting close to $17M. That's about what his cap hold is, and I think that should be more than enough for his next contract. He feels like a full MLE guy on the open market.