What's new

Potential Trade Targets

As opposed to the makeup of other championship squads like the warriors with pure shooters and no big. Or teams with a star SF.

Not saying I agree, but I get the comp.

I think what they were referring to is a team with a dominant, unique big (Maarkanen / Jokic) and a walking bucket to play off of him (Trae Young / Murray).

Problem is...
Jokic >>>> Maarkanen
Murray >>>>>>>>> Trae Young

Also our role players don't match up to the quality of Denver's role players.

Gordon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any Jazz role player

So... it's comparable like Lady Gaga is to Taylor Swift. They are both singer, song writers. But man that TS has the country's balls in the palm of her hand where gaga is trying to be artsy fartsy.
Murray is not better than Young. Young is a bad defender, but Murray isnt great either. On offense Young is way better and its not even close.

What makes Murray special in Denver is his connection with Jokic. Without the big man, I'm not 100% sure he is even a winning player. I mean he is 10-13 in his career in games without Jokic, which also goes to show how little he has had to play without him.

Young on the other hand is the engine that runs the Atlanta offense that has been one of the top offenses every year since 2020-21. I mean Young has an individual offensive rating of 117.9 over the past 4 seasons, averaging 27/10/3 in the 248 games he has played during that span. You may not like the look of how he plays, but Atlanta has finished 7th (last season), 2nd (21-22) and 9th (20-21) on offense.

View: https://twitter.com/colby_colonel/status/1749930742841561334

Paul Pierce calls for the Jazz to get Trae Young

Also hilarious KG thinks Ingles is so old that he played with Carlos Boozer.

I was one of the biggest Young haters last season, but I'm not as out on him as I was back then.

I think he has shown to be much more coachable under Snyder than I thought he would be, and I also probably misevaluated the players he has played with. He has lower usage this year than he has had since his rookie year at 30.0%, and he is still producing 27/11 averages. He relocates more off ball and has also played more defense than I've ever seen him play, albeit he is still not great at either of those areas.

Young once had a strong connection with Collins, and made him look really good. If he could build such a connection with Lauri who is a much better player, that would be absolutely lethal and you could go almost all out on 3&D for the rest of the starting lineup. Then having a guy like Sexton off the bench would also create massive change of pace problems.

I mean he is a near perfect offensive fit with Lauri and Walker.

A 3 game slide is a reminder that this team is likely going to see changes at the trade deadline.

Also the fact that Ainge makes trades virtually every year.

Clearly we have figured some things out but I expect trades will be made to either capitalize on established trade value some players have earned or trying to learn how to keep building up the group.

You forgot that Clarkson is one of the worst defenders in the league. I'll take 23-year old Grimes for us any day over Clarkson.
Not to mention I'm starting to lose a *little* hope that Ochai will ever be more than just a low level 3&D player despite his athleticism. He's averaging a measly 1 FTA attempt per 100 possessions. He's a corner 3 pt shooter that can't even make those shots right now.

I think the Lakers want Sexton AND Dunn for their picks and swaps, etc.
If you are moving Sexton you are taking a big step back so may as well just give em Dunn if it means we get all the draft stuff we want.

Not to mention I'm starting to lose a *little* hope that Ochai will ever be more than just a low level 3&D player despite his athleticism. He's averaging a measly 1 FTA attempt per 100 possessions. He's a corner 3 pt shooter that can't even make those shots right now.
I tried so hard to nicely tell yall.

Agreed, but man, if he wasn't a POS what an absolute steal that would be.

I really don't think Utah would do that, but idk what Ainge 's stomach is for guys like that
Yeah obviously the POS tax is priced heavily into that trade price lol.

I mean, yeah, if you are expecting him to get to the FT line that's never ever going to happen. He just needs to be better at shooting from the entire 3pt line off different actions.

... or defend, it seems.

Not too high on Ochai right now.

He is still pretty good on-ball and transition defender. It's the off-ball stuff that bugs me. I used to think he had decent defensive instincts.
Transition Ochai on both ends is elite MVP stuff. Halfcourt is the most meh ever. Its weird.

I got really concerned about Ochai in Vegas. I know it's Summer League and a lot of the players end up working at Walmart, but he should have dominated at that level and really didn't. There are some NBA games where he looks OK and some just awful. Maybe I'm missing something, but I would not be shocked if he gets moved.