What's new

Reflections after watching exactly one game...

I am trying to see more games, but still if the Jazz were developing so well and getting so much better, the record should show it at least somewhat, right? At this pace they will end with just over 20 wins, maybe close to 30 if they get lucky. I have a hard time seeing a single player on a 25-win team that is beyond reproach. Depending on the color of ones glasses I guess. :)

I think along with having the super young starting lineup, new coach and system as have been mentioned are part of why our record is what it is. But you have to also consider that up to that Philly game the Jazz had played the second toughest schedule in the NBA. Hard to win when everything is new against the best teams. The Jazz have now won 5 out of there last 7 games. The schedule is starting to even out. But I would also call that developing and getting better.

As for my earlier comment about "choosing to watch" I should have said I that I feel bad it was the one game out of all of them you had time to sit thought. It really was a bad game from both teams.

Yeah, it's so obviously Franklin. Almost as obvious as Dalamon's ex-alt "Sandy Braille". He should probably leave it to experts like Trout.

Sometimes you're too smart for your own good; this is not one of those times.

Remember this post the next time you complain about people being mean to you.

I bet he reports the neg I just gave him.

So Tiny Teats negged me again ... when he was Franklin he continually negged me. What's up with this guy -- I'm piling on? Well, I just explained a little in the prior post. But Logograd's post was unfair and ill-advised considering this was the only game he had seen.

Cry harder, you blubbering vag.

On topic, Logg is 100% correct about this team. Favors is the most overrated big guy in the league, and we should trade him STAT. Thank the Gods Burks is out for the rest of the season. Man, that guy sucked.

You really missed the ball on Trey. He does do somethings well. Driving and dishing. His willingness to attack the basket. Something we all wished Exum would do more of. If plays within the offense as he did in LA, and against Minn he can be very effective.

You really missed the ball on Trey. He does do somethings well. Driving and dishing. His willingness to attack the basket. Something we all wished Exum would do more of. If plays within the offense as he did in LA, and against Minn he can be very effective.

I hope I am wrong about Trey. I think he is a good kid and has some potential. Just in last season, and this season in what the stats tell us and others have said and I have seen he is just not putting it all together. Maybe it is a coaching issue. It is like he doesn't know what he is supposed to be. Is he the PG? Then why do we run half the plays when he is on the floor through Hayward, who nearly always gets more assists than Burke. Is he a SG? Then why is he bringing the ball up the court and running half the plays? Is he a tweener/combo guard? I wonder if he would benefit from a more clearly defined role, at least until he gets into the swing of the NBA game and learns to improvise.

I agree with you about favors, he will dominate some games, but most of all he is just going to be quietly efficient.

The keepers I think we do have are:

Hayward, he is our closest thing to a star. Can turn it on at times. But he is going to at least need help, and probably need a bigger star next to him.

Favors is atleast a high quality starter. Maybe all star one day.

Gobert is showing signs of being awesome

Exum might be awesome. Too early to tell.

Burke, Burks and kanter are so inconsistent

Hood might turn into a starter. He is a smart player.

I see Hayward with the potential to be a Pippen-esque player, at least for his role on the team. A guy that brings everything together, can do a bit of everything, and would look absolutely unbelievable next to a superstar. Kind of the way Pippen was with Jordan, but then you saw the fact that Pippen wasn't capable of being the superstar when Jordan was out for those couple years. I think Hayward could be that, and if we can get a player like that, not necessarily the "next MJ" or whatever, but at least a top 5 to top 10 guy in the league to play alongside him then Hay would really shine and we would make a lot of noise.

Maybe Exum will become that guy, but my gut tells me he won't. Even in Kobe's earliest years you still saw solid flashes of the player he would become, times he did a few things that made your jaw drop even while he was learning the game. We just haven't seen flashes of much of anything besides maybe a solid rotation player from Exum. So far, anyway.

You need more context than one game against a crap team after a road trip.

So what context is missing? Are you saying that Favors is actually a top-5 PF/C in the league who takes over games with great regularity, willing us to win games that we would otherwise lose? Or is Trey a top-5 PG that is the true floor general we could use, and virtually every other game besides this one he took us to another level of team play and never chucked up a bad 3-pt shot? Or is Exum really the second coming of MJ but was just off this one game and otherwise is the strongest contender for ROY?

So what context is missing? Are you saying that Favors is actually a top-5 PF/C in the league who takes over games with great regularity, willing us to win games that we would otherwise lose? Or is Trey a top-5 PG that is the true floor general we could use, and virtually every other game besides this one he took us to another level of team play and never chucked up a bad 3-pt shot? Or is Exum really the second coming of MJ but was just off this one game and otherwise is the strongest contender for ROY?

Your assertions about Kanter. The board has done a 180 on him for the most part, because his play through the month of December had warranted it. He's been intense, producing, trying on D, etc. you saw tired players.

Expecting Exum to be i. Taljs for ROY is and has always been ludicrous. He does need to be more assertive, but we also don't know what the coaching staff is telling him to do. He is young and light, and it seems like the only goal is to keep him healthy. Watch his summer league style vs the role he has during the season.

As for Trey, you are mostly right.

Derrick does need to be more agressive, but he also has been more agressive this year than ever before. He is having a really good year and implementing more toughness in his game.

You can't expect it all at once. Two steps forward, one step back.

I am trying to see more games, but still if the Jazz were developing so well and getting so much better, the record should show it at least somewhat, right? At this pace they will end with just over 20 wins, maybe close to 30 if they get lucky. I have a hard time seeing a single player on a 25-win team that is beyond reproach. Depending on the color of ones glasses I guess. :)
Yes...and no. I think the Jazz ARE playing better. They've been in a lot of tight games, even those they haven't won. They're adjusting to new offensive and defensive systems. And, as much as we railed on RJ and Marvin, those two guys were major contributors last season.

PG: Essentially, Exum replaced Garrett. We HOPE Exum develops, but I'd say there has been no significant bump at the backup PG between what we got from Diante over what Exum has given us to date. Trey this season has shot < what Trey shot last year.

Wings: Burks became a starter. His 3pt% is better, but he was worse on his drives (no doubt due to injury). Hayward much improved. Behind them, Jingles and Hood are nowhere near RJ's level. I know that's comical at first read, but RJ had a great season, shooting 45%/41%. Certainly hope Hood has more upside, especially on the defensive end, but right now, the 30 mins per game RJ gave us haven't been replaced with equal results.

Bigs: Better all around, though Kanter has struggled adjusting to his role. Marvin gave us great spacing and decent defense. Booker has been up and down. Overall, I'd say a little better this season, but most of that, IMO, has come in the last couple of weeks with Gobert emerging as a force.

Last season the Jazz struggled early (1-14), then played almost .500 to the all-star break (18-19), then collapsed afterwards (6-24). Result: 25 wins.
This season has been similar with a younger roster: Jazz were 9-23 last season vs. 11-21 this year. Jazz struggled early, including the 9 game losing streak, but are 6-5 since then. I'd venture a guess the Jazz wouldn't have finished 6-24 after the all-star break (before factoring in the Burks injury).

Of course, the Jazz now have to deal with the injury to Burks. Without injury, I'd say the Jazz may have been in the 30-35 win range. Now, I think 25 wins may be the expectation.

Kind of the way Pippen was with Jordan, but then you saw the fact that Pippen wasn't capable of being the superstar when Jordan was out for those couple years.

Srs?

From Wikipedia:

Michael Jordan retired before the 1993–94 season, due to the death of his father James R. Jordan, Sr., and in his absence Pippen emerged from Jordan's shadow. That year, he earned All-Star Game MVP honors and led the Bulls in scoring, assists, and blocks, and was second in the NBA in steals per game, averaging 22.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 2.9 steals, and 0.8 blocks per game, while shooting 49.1% from the field and a career-best 32% from the 3-point line. For his efforts, he earned the first of three straight All-NBA First Team selections, and he finished third in MVP voting. The Bulls finished the season with 55 wins, only two fewer than the year before.

You're right-- not a superstar. I would eat a box of asian condoms for Hayward to turn into Pippen. Took the Knicks to 7 games-- all while losing one of the best NBA players of all time (if not THE best).

Sometimes you're too smart for your own good; this is not one of those times.

I bet he reports the neg I just gave him.

Cry harder, you blubbering vag.

On topic, Logg is 100% correct about this team. Favors is the most overrated big guy in the league, and we should trade him STAT. Thank the Gods Burks is out for the rest of the season. Man, that guy sucked.

FU, you mini-dick, coward ... Just sent you a PM with a lot of fu's, sick of your crap.

FU, you mini-dick, coward ... Just sent you a PM with a lot of fu's, sick of your crap.

bawling-o.gif

Hey QSH, I'm just sick of the stalker thing and EJ Wells has been probably most responsible for continuing to give me this label, not to say other insults he has given me. I would prefer just to read posts from now on and not have to get all this abuse. I changed my name because of it in the past, for similar abuse. I don't really care about posting here any longer, anyway. Getting Jazz news here is good enough for me because I am a Jazz fan. That's all I have to say about it.

Hey QSH, I'm just sick of the stalker thing and EJ Wells has been probably most responsible for continuing to give me this label, not to say other insults he has given me. I would prefer just to read posts from now on and not have to get all this abuse. I changed my name because of it in the past, for similar abuse. I don't really care about posting here any longer, anyway. Getting Jazz news here is good enough for me because I am a Jazz fan. That's all I have to say about it.

Maybe don't admit to breaking into people's homes. Weren't you the user who said as much?

Maybe don't admit to breaking into people's homes. Weren't you the user who said as much?

No, they made that up, to try to taunt me ... another example of the abuse I've had to endure. And so I played along. But I've never even been to Salt Lake. All stories made up by people here who hate me.

No, they made that up, to try to taunt me ... another example of the abuse I've had to endure. And so I played along. But I've never even been to Salt Lake. All stories made up by people here who hate me.

There are a lot of good posters on here. There are also a lot of not so nice posters as well. Just have to take the good with the bad. Cy has neg rep me multiple times saying...U a bish doe. I just consider the source and let it go most times.

Log, I appreciate your thread just as I do most threads. Right or wrong everyone has a right to their opinion. I found it interesting to see a fans view of the team after watching just one full game.

Hey, Happy New Years everybody...it is already the new year here in the Philippines.

There are a lot of good posters on here. There are also a lot of not so nice posters as well. Just have to take the good with the bad. Cy has neg rep me multiple times saying...U a bish doe. I just consider the source and let it go most times.

Log, I appreciate your thread just as I do most threads. Right or wrong everyone has a right to their opinion. I found it interesting to see a fans view of the team after watching just one full game.

Hey, Happy New Years everybody...it is already the new year here in the Philippines.
Wow are you pinay???

I agree with this.
We are in fact rebuilding from the bottom..... starting with last season.
I figure it's a 4 or 5 year plan to get to contention

4 or 5 years? We'll all be dead by then. Can't they just build a championship team in one year? That seems more reasonable, and without looking anything up, I'm assuming most teams rebuild successfully in one year. Perhaps we should fire everyone and hire management who can rebuild in one year, or preferably, no years.

4 or 5 years? We'll all be dead by then. Can't they just build a championship team in one year? That seems more reasonable, and without looking anything up, I'm assuming most teams rebuild successfully in one year. Perhaps we should fire everyone and hire management who can rebuild in one year, or preferably, no years.

Someone should suggest Quin put in the 4 on 5 cherry-picking scheme. It's revolutionary!