What's new

Reverse Pet Peeves

I never compliment women's looks, attractiveness, lack of or anything else of that nature at work. It is not the place to do that. I am not perceived as an ******* for not commenting on their looks, maybe in other ways though.

Likewise I have never commented on men's looks that I work with and never had anyone get upset.

I have commented about something in a non sexual or looks way. For example I have told a co-worker man and women that their new shoes are cool.

I think the line is pretty easy to see and not cross and have never had an issue with it. Work is never a place for hitting on people in general and you should never sexualize or hit on people if you are their boss or superior in a work place.

I think the majority of women dont want to be hit on at work or have people people comment on their personal appearance. They are not dressing that way for you.

Yes, your wife/girlfriend/friend/family member is different and might expect you to comment and get offended if you dont, that is very different.

Had a long conversation on a train with a woman who, for some reason, told me, "Do you want to flatter a woman? Complement her shoes. Women put a lot of time into shoes, and if you let her know you noticed, it simultaneously compliments her beauty, intelligence, and fashion sense, without looking like a dopey pick up line, completely validating her for at least a few minutes. Don't be too specific or do it too often as then it gets creepy."

Probably one of the best pieces of advice I have ever received, and I can't even tell you the woman's name.

Did she have nice shoes?

Had a long conversation on a train with a woman who, for some reason, told me, "Do you want to flatter a woman? Complement her shoes. Women put a lot of time into shoes, and if you let her know you noticed, it simultaneously compliments her beauty, intelligence, and fashion sense, without looking like a dopey pick up line, completely validating her for at least a few minutes. Don't be too specific or do it too often as then it gets creepy."

Probably one of the best pieces of advice I have ever received, and I can't even tell you the woman's name.

I've done this on the train from time to time after a friendly chat and it is always taken appreciatively.

The most psychological part of this compliment is probably associated with the pain women endure when wearing dress shoes. It shows them appreciation for their work instead of appearance, but that's probably a sub-conscious reaction to the compliment.

I love it when I see a child standing up for another who is being bullied. I go out of my way to give them kudos.

I am also a fan of people picking up trash that isn't theirs and throwing it in a trash can/recycle bin.
I love it when some one sees a guy littering, and asks them to pick it up.

So about 14 years ago I started wearing glasses. Just about a month ago I started wearing contacts. I can't wear "regular" contacts because of a somewhat rare type of astigmatism I have, keratoconus. So I have unusual contacts, but that's not what my reverse pet peeve is about.

I used to really enjoy when I'd get a really hot cup of coffee or tea and I'd hold it up to my face and gently blow into the cup and the steam would go into my eyes and it felt really good. Well, with glasses that didn't work and my sight without glasses is bad enough that I only take them off when I'm showering or sleeping. Well now that I've started wearing contacts I've remembered how much I enjoy that feeling. It makes me happy.

I love it when some one sees a guy littering, and asks them to pick it up.
I saw a fight over this kind of thing once. We were at a mall walking from our car to the building. There were some other people walking along with us (didn't know them). Some guy came speeding in in a camaro or something, swerved into a spot in front of this other guy and his family (he was with his wife, I presume, and a couple kids). As the camaro guy pulled into that spot he flicked a cigarette butt out the window that just about hit this other guy's kid. So the guy picked it up and walked over and threw it back into the camaro guy's window, telling him "don't litter *******". It got pretty hot from there.

I love when my 3 y.o. calls me dadtee. He can say dah, duh, doh and die but not dee.
I haven't been in GD much so I am getting caught up on some. I liked this even though uncle f(ranklin) is banned.

And I love it when my granddaughter calls me "pop-pop". She came up with it all on her own. My wife wanted her to call me Opa and her Oma, due to our german connections, but she started calling me Pop-pop and it stuck.

I haven't been in GD much so I am getting caught up on some. I liked this even though uncle f(ranklin) is banned.

And I love it when my granddaughter calls me "pop-pop". She came up with it all on her own. My wife wanted her to call me Opa and her Oma, due to our german connections, but she started calling me Pop-pop and it stuck.

Yes! My dad and stepmom are Oma and Opa to my kids. My dad’s mom and his stepdad were Oma and Opa for me.

My great-nieces and great-nephew are being taught to call their great grandmothers "Grandma Great." It sounds annoyingly weird, and my mom isn't thrilled either.

I'm going by Nano (pronounced "Nah'-no"), as one of my great-granfathers was called. CharityBrow goes by "Granny".