What's new

Ricky Rubio or George Hill?

Beantown

David Locke hinted at the Jazz possibly going after Rubio. I think I would prefer this route better. Rubio is a true PG and the Jazz struggle with their assist rate. He's also younger which align's more with where the core of the team is at.

Mods can you add a poll?

I think Ricky Rubio is horrible fit for this team. He's the anti-George Hill... at least offensively. He needs the ball in his hands all the time in order to be successful. He's a horrible shooter, horrible finisher around the basket, but good playmaker for others. In essense you need to take the ball out of the hands of Hayward/Hood and surround him with other shooters in order for it to make sense. I don't like Rubio as much as most people, it seems. And I wouldn't give up anything of value to get him.

People I'd rather have starting over Rubio:

Hill
Deron
Exum
Mills
Dice-rolling on Teodosic
Frank Jackson

Not a fan of rubio.
How much would he cost?

David Locke hinted at the Jazz possibly going after Rubio. I think I would prefer this route better. Rubio is a true PG and the Jazz struggle with their assist rate. He's also younger which align's more with where the core of the team is at.

Mods can you add a poll?

Locke brought him up as a hypothetical because Rubio is supposedly on the block - I don't think he "hinted" anything.

Rubio does some nice things; but can't hit open shots - Jazz got enough of those. He's a back-up on a 50+ win team.

I love Rubio. Give me the younger, better Rubio for less money every damn day.

Is he a good shooter? No. Is he a bad shooter? Maybe not! We're gonna look at some stats...small sample size, but worth it I think.

Zach LaVine has been a negative for Rubio. He just messes with his game, mainly bc LaVine is a dumb player, but also bc he takes Rubio's spots.

So, Rubio post LaVine shot a little under 42% from the field (not good) but also about 36% from 3 (good!). Averaged 16/10/5 btw. Is it possible as Rubio hits his prime his shooting has improved? I think so. But he's so much closer more than shooting. He's an offensive savant. The guy flat out makes his team better. Incredible passer, incredibly smart player, so even with poor shooting he's a positive offensive player. If he improves his shooting? Top 10 PG easily. Plus look at how he leads fast breaks!! We need that.

Defensively he's better than Hill. Perhaps not as versatile, but better overall. He's just a better player than Hill overall.

Now I can see why some would think this is a waste of an asset we used a 1st to acquire. Look, as long as we keep Hayward then it was a worthy trade. Flat out if we don't have Hill this year, we lose Hayward. That's my argument at least.

Anyways, I love Rubio. He's a stud.

I think Ricky Rubio is horrible fit for this team. He's the anti-George Hill... at least offensively. He needs the ball in his hands all the time in order to be successful. He's a horrible shooter, horrible finisher around the basket, but good playmaker for others. In essense you need to take the ball out of the hands of Hayward/Hood and surround him with other shooters in order for it to make sense. I don't like Rubio as much as most people, it seems. And I wouldn't give up anything of value to get him.

That's weird because his usage rate was 17.3% and he averaged 9.1 APG. Hill averaged 4.1 APG with a 23.5% usage rate.

Rubio has 2 years left on his contract for 29 mil. That would save us a ton of money going forward.

Plus he's barely turning 27 in October. I'm all for it actually. It wouldn't take much to get him in a trade either actually from what I've read.

Sign me up. I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

If the Jazz did this they would need to upgrade the shooters at the SG spot. Burks would need to move and bring in another shooter. Hood would need to work on his consistency.

The thing that makes Hill so deadly in this offense is that he is one of the best spot up 3 point shooters in the league. I would hate to lose that dimension he brings to the offense. To me if you are going to get Rubio you might as well just play Exum.

I hope the Jazz aren't only thinking of getting a PG with their trade pieces. They should be focusing (imo) on getting the best player possible no matter the position (other than C).

That's weird because his usage rate was 17.3% and he averaged 9.1 APG. Hill averaged 4.1 APG with a 23.5% usage rate.

Rubio has 2 years left on his contract for 29 mil. That would save us a ton of money going forward.

Plus he's barely turning 27 in October. I'm all for it actually. It wouldn't take much to get him in a trade either actually from what I've read.

Sign me up. I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

That's because he cannot shoot... and will not shoot. And will not penetrate and cannot penetrate to finish. He cannot create good shots for himself. There is no shot that is a good shot for Rubio really. And he cannot shoot when somebody else creates for him. In other words - you cannot rely on him to create for himself and you cannot rely on others to create for him, simply because he's bad at finishing both(thus his usage goes down). The only thing he's good at is creating for others... which is why he needs the ball in his hands and why his assist rate is so high(well and the fact that he's got good vision and passing skills).

What's funny about Rubio is I've heard everything about his defense. Some call him a poor defender, some claim he's decent, some say he's a good help defender, some say he's awful. It's like noone can agree. I know he gets votes for NBA All-Defensive every year. He's quick and tries hard on defense - he's not good at switching on screens, which is why smart teams like the Warriors set picks on him fairly often.

Perhaps DL wants Rubio because he's cheaper than Hill, and he wants to try to sign another solid player as well? We shall see....