What's new

Ricky Rubio or George Hill?

I am intrigued by Rubio. He has a contract for 2 more years at about 14 million. I think he can help out Exum and Exum can/should be ready to start by then. His three point shooting is my only concern. Some players take time to develop a shot though. Maybe Rubio has become a decent three point shooter? Maybe he will continue to improve? Rubio is a good passer and a good defender and we need those things as well.

He is only a 32.5% catch and shoot player from 3. That is a really poor number. George Hill is at 41%. This stat alone makes me vary wary of Rubio. Even Exum is shooting better than Rubio at 33% and Exum improved in the second half of the season. Although Exum has been shooting 38% in catch and shoot 3s since the all-star break. That number is very encouraging. If Exum can shoot that or better next season that would be great and really help the spacing problem he had on the court at times. Although Rubio was also improved in that same time frame but we do have more time to look at Rubios shooting and I would lean towards Exum improving his three over Rubio. Plus Exum still shot better.

Based on those stats I would pass on Rubio. I would just assume go with Exum over Rubio and bring in a vet to back him up for much cheaper than Rubio.

That's because he cannot shoot... and will not shoot. And will not penetrate and cannot penetrate to finish. He cannot create good shots for himself. There is no shot that is a good shot for Rubio really. And he cannot shoot when somebody else creates for him. In other words - you cannot rely on him to create for himself and you cannot rely on others to create for him, simply because he's bad at finishing both(thus his usage goes down). The only thing he's good at is creating for others... which is why he needs the ball in his hands and why his assist rate is so high(well and the fact that he's got good vision and passing skills).

So here's the thing...when LaVine was healthy, Minnesota was ranked 17th in ppg. After LaVine, they were ranked 10th. Rubio's usage went from 15% w/ LaVine to 22% without. Weird how a guy that can't shoot, penetrate, or score at all couldha e that type of impact on a team.

And if you think Exum could give us similar results, you're crazy. Exum so far hasn't shown the ability to run an offense...that's a big part of being a PG.

I agree Our point guard needs to be able to hit open threes at a high rate.

This.

In today's NBA you can really only get away with 1, or maybe 2 if they bring enough other stuff to the table, guys on the floor at any one time who cannot hit the 3. Literally everyone else needs to be a 3-pt threat of some kind, bare minimum 35% 3 pt shooter so they can knock down most open looks. Otherwise you will get buried. So any point we bring in must be a 3 pt threat. Period.

So here's the thing...when LaVine was healthy, Minnesota was ranked 17th in ppg. After LaVine, they were ranked 10th. Rubio's usage went from 15% w/ LaVine to 22% without. Weird how a guy that can't shoot, penetrate, or score at all couldha e that type of impact on a team.

And if you think Exum could give us similar results, you're crazy. Exum so far hasn't shown the ability to run an offense...that's a big part of being a PG.

Small sample. Look at his career numbers. I am not taking 2 months outlier over 6 years career.

I never said anything about Exum. I was just commenting about Rubio.

Damn, you'd be happy with a 4-year 120 mil deal for Hill? I would happily take Rubio + a FA at the same price for Hill.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

That's actually an interesting question to consider. I'm on the record saying that paying such a premium for Hill will be a mistake. So I don't know which one I would hate less.

BTW, for the record we cannot get any more FAs once Hayward opts out of his contract.

Hayward - $16.7 mil
Gobert - $21.2 mil
Rubio - $14 mil
Favors - $12 mil
Ingles - $11 mil
Johnson - $10.5 mil
Exum - $5 mil
Lyles - $2.4 mil
Hood - $2.4 mil
Neto - $1.4 mil
Bolomboy - $1.3 mil
24th pick - $1.3 mil
30th pick - $1.1 mil

That puts us at around $99 mil total for those 14 players.

Assuming we send Burks back in a deal for Rubio.

What does the number look like when Hayward makes All-NBA and opts-in plus trading for Rubio? That is only 30 mil worth of salary. I'm sure we could sign a free agent.

[MENTION=591]White Chocolate[/MENTION], and any one else interested, Andy B Larsen on twitter has a pinned post that goes into Hayward's options and it includes all nba possibilities. Really insightful read. I recommend it.

I am intrigued by Rubio. He has a contract for 2 more years at about 14 million. I think he can help out Exum and Exum can/should be ready to start by then. His three point shooting is my only concern. Some players take time to develop a shot though. Maybe Rubio has become a decent three point shooter? Maybe he will continue to improve? Rubio is a good passer and a good defender and we need those things as well.

He is only a 32.5% catch and shoot player from 3. That is a really poor number. George Hill is at 41%. This stat alone makes me vary wary of Rubio. Even Exum is shooting better than Rubio at 33% and Exum improved in the second half of the season. Although Exum has been shooting 38% in catch and shoot 3s since the all-star break. That number is very encouraging. If Exum can shoot that or better next season that would be great and really help the spacing problem he had on the court at times. Although Rubio was also improved in that same time frame but we do have more time to look at Rubios shooting and I would lean towards Exum improving his three over Rubio. Plus Exum still shot better.

Based on those stats I would pass on Rubio. I would just assume go with Exum over Rubio and bring in a vet to back him up for much cheaper than Rubio.

Ive thought about it more and looked at the stats. I dont think Rubio is a good fit for our team. I would not be upset if the Jazz made this trade but I think there are better options.

He is way better than Dante though, so if the option is Exum starting or Rubio starting, I'd take Rubio.

My question is would it be better to get a better fitting player with whatever assets you would give for Rubio, and then have Dante playing (or some other cheaper vet PG with Dante as backup)?

I think the Jazz should focus on finding a good fit at a position of need. I like some parts of Rubio's game, but I don't think he's really compatible, and I think you would get better value with some other position. If we were talking about Bledsoe in a trade like this I would be much more interested.

Hayward - $16.7 mil
Gobert - $21.2 mil
Rubio - $14 mil
Favors - $12 mil
Ingles - $11 mil
Johnson - $10.5 mil
Exum - $5 mil
Lyles - $2.4 mil
Hood - $2.4 mil
Neto - $1.4 mil
Bolomboy - $1.3 mil
24th pick - $1.3 mil
30th pick - $1.1 mil

That puts us at around $99 mil total for those 14 players.

Assuming we send Burks back in a deal for Rubio.

We can go over the cap to re-sign our own players though right? So, going along with this hypothetical we'd have around $13 mil to give to a free agent and then we'd go over the cap to sign Ingles. We'd still be under the luxury tax for this year in this scenario.

We could easily sign someone to a similar 2-year $22 mil deal that Johnson got last year.

Depends on cost to acquire him... the timing is awkward too. Rubio is an enigma. Can't shoot and also doesn't finish at the rim... if he could do either I'd love him (but that is why he's available).

He's had his fair share of injuries too. i think he is a guy that could have been great had he had the development and coaching staff we do, but it may be too late to fix him.

If you asked me to choose between Hill at 4/80, Deron at 2/15-20, or acquiring Rubio for either a first round pick this year or the OKC pick I would choose the Hill, Deron, and Rubio options in that order.

I don't think it would take just one late round pick to pry him away though. I may be wrong. I love this year's draft so I don't think I want to trade either the 24 or 30.

Depends on cost to acquire him... the timing is awkward too. Rubio is an enigma. Can't shoot and also doesn't finish at the rim... if he could do either I'd love him (but that is why he's available).

He's had his fair share of injuries too. i think he is a guy that could have been great had he had the development and coaching staff we do, but it may be too late to fix him.

If you asked me to choose between Hill at 4/80, Deron at 2/15-20, or acquiring Rubio for either a first round pick this year or the OKC pick I would choose the Hill, Deron, and Rubio options in that order.

I don't think it would take just one late round pick to pry him away though. I may be wrong. I love this year's draft so I don't think I want to trade either the 24 or 30.

They tried trading him for Rose at the trade deadline. If we could get Rubio for Burks that would be amazing.

The funny thing is that the 2 things people complain the most about with Exum is that he cant finish at the rim and cant shoot the three well. He is doing better at both of those over Rubio. People would not like Rubio here I am guessing. Although Rubio does do some other things better than Exum I think he is not that big of an improvement over what Exum was the last half of this season, let along the potential of what Exum is next season.

They tried trading him for Rose at the trade deadline. If we could get Rubio for Burks that would be amazing.

True... I'd do that all damn day... I think his better play at the end of the year increased his value to Minny... I also think Minnesota turned that deal down.

The funny thing is that the 2 things people complain the most about with Exum is that he cant finish at the rim and cant shoot the three well. He is doing better at both of those over Rubio. People would not like Rubio here I am guessing. Although Rubio does do some other things better than Exum I think he is not that big of an improvement over what Exum was the last half of this season, let along the potential of what Exum is next season.

I've always though passing was the hardest thing to do in the NBA and dude is a maestro... always puzzled he could never shoot or finish adequately. It's like someone doing advanced trig, but struggling with algebra.