What's new

Roe v. Wade is going down

I don't know if you'd consider this incompatible logic exactly, but in the recent second amendment case the majority opinion was justified in part by historical precedent. Of course they cherry picked the hell out of what was "historical enough" and what wasn't to fit their agenda. But that historical analysis was nowhere to be found when they ruled on public funds being used for religious schools.

I'm sure they take the law seriously. But you're kidding yourself if you think that seriousness extends very far beyond how to use their interpretation of the law to reach decisions that suit their politics.
A great example of how unserious they’re taking things was Alito’s reasoning yesterday regarding NY’s gun regulation:

View: https://twitter.com/taulbye324/status/1539990138595545090?s=21&t=lDPskhAFgR7DaG8TI-3PXA

View: https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1539981783546167297?s=21&t=lDPskhAFgR7DaG8TI-3PXA

All that’s missing from this piece is the standard issue:

“Guns are merely tools, like hammers and cars.”

“The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”

“Thoughts and prayers.”

Like cmon, at this point he and Clarence are In a competition for who can troll us the hardest. What’s the point of enacting any laws if people still violate them?

Of course, several of the justices told us this would happen. They Told us that they held cultural grievances and would use their positions to strike back at those they hated. Remember this?

View: https://youtu.be/NO-GKt70I7Q

I understand the passions of the moment. But I would say to those senators: Your words have meaning. Millions of Americans listened carefully to you. Given comments like those, is it any surprise that people have been willing to do anything to make any physical threat against my family? To send any violent email to my wife, to make any kind of allegation against me, and against my friends, to blow me up and take me down. You sowed the wind for decades to come. I fear that the whole country will reap the whirlwinds. The behavior of several of the Democratic members of this committee at my hearing a few weeks ago was an embarrassment. But at least it was just a good old-fashioned attempt at Borking. Those efforts didn’t work.

Essentially we have an extremist wing of the Republican Party in charge of the SCOTUS saying, “You ****ed around now you’re about to find out.”

Last edited:
A great example of how unserious they’re taking things was Alito’s reasoning yesterday regarding NY’s gun regulation:

View: https://twitter.com/taulbye324/status/1539990138595545090?s=21&t=lDPskhAFgR7DaG8TI-3PXA

View: https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1539981783546167297?s=21&t=lDPskhAFgR7DaG8TI-3PXA

All that’s missing from this piece is the standard issue:

“Guns are merely tools, like hammers and cars.”

“The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”

“Thoughts and prayers.”

Like cmon, at this point he and Clarence are In a competition for who can troll us the hardest. What’s the point of enacting any laws if people still violate them?

Of course, several of the justices told us this would happen. They Told us that they held cultural grievances and would use their positions to strike back at those they hated. Remember this?

View: https://youtu.be/NO-GKt70I7Q

I said in a previous post that these people arent stupid, but this is a pretty dumb argument by Alito. The mere existence of a law not preventing a particular crime from being committed isnt a good argument for that law not existing. Otherwise we might as well give up on having laws altogether.

I'm sure Alito knows this though, and is just getting his jabs in while he can.

What’s increasingly worrisome to me is that the GOP has become completely detached from reality. Like they’re not even caring anymore about repercussions electorally. Jan 6, voting rights, telling us that they’re going to gut social safety nets, and all these court cases. These should play out awful electorally. A normal political party would be hitting the brakes right now.

But they’re not normal. They’re authoritarian and no longer play the game of democracy. They’re acting like a fascist party that can do whatever they want and voters don’t matter. I don’t know if it’s because they sense they have enough power through gerrymandering, the courts, the electoral college, senate, and Fox News/Facebook now to override the system and maintain power no matter what the majority wants or because they believe the population is so dumb that they’ll forget about this come fall. Either way, we’re dealing with a party that has zero fear for the majority of Americans but fear far more their own base. That’s a problem because they and their base are increasingly out of step with the majority of Americans both politically and culturally.

I said in a previous post that these people arent stupid, but this is a pretty dumb argument by Alito. The mere existence of a law not preventing a particular crime from being committed isnt a good argument for that law not existing. Otherwise we might as well give up on having laws altogether.

I'm sure Alito knows this though, and is just getting his jabs in while he can.
This certainly doesn’t bode well for those who think the court will respect the settled law of contraception, gay marriage, even school desegregation. At this point, these guys can do whatever they want and troll us. TBH, I don’t know if Democrats have enough voters to make it matter. As long as Republicans hold enough states to prevent a filibuster breaking Senate, they can successfully obstruct any legislation. Gerrymandering already helps them remain competitive in the House. And we all know about the EC.

So I’m actually going to be interested if there are enough voters in places that matter. Lee is up for re-election in Utah. If he goes down will Becky Edwards (repub) or even Mcmullin support Democrats in anything constructive? How many of these can Democrats hold? How many can they capture? I’m not seeing a very promising map.

And if Repubs retake Congress after everything we’ve seen since Jan 6, what’s going to be their takeaway?

What’s increasingly worrisome to me is that the GOP has become completely detached from reality. Like they’re not even caring anymore about repercussions electorally. Jan 6, voting rights, telling us that they’re going to gut social safety nets, and all these court cases. These should play out awful electorally. A normal political party would be hitting the brakes right now.

But they’re not normal. They’re authoritarian and no longer play the game of democracy. They’re acting like a fascist party that can do whatever they want and voters don’t matter. I don’t know if it’s because they sense they have enough power through gerrymandering, the courts, the electoral college, senate, and Fox News/Facebook now to override the system and maintain power no matter what the majority wants or because they believe the population is so dumb that they’ll forget about this come fall. Either way, we’re dealing with a party that has zero fear for the majority of Americans but fear far more their own base. That’s a problem because they and their base are increasingly out of step with the majority of Americans both politically and culturally.
I'm not at all optimistic about the poltical differences in this country being resolved through democratic means, or even through non-violent protests/civil disobedience.

One party in this country has opted for the strategy of might makes right, while the other has been more interested in fundraising off of every crisis than exercising any power to combat them.

Against a backdrop of increasing economic insecurity and fears about our planet's climate getting out of control, things are going to get really ****ing ugly. If you take the power away from people to shape their futures through civil processes they'll turn to other alternatives. It's going to be another long, hot summer.

I'm not at all optimistic about the poltical differences in this country being resolved through democratic means, or even through non-violent protests/civil disobedience.

One party in this country has opted for the strategy of might makes right, while the other has been more interested in fundraising off of every crisis than exercising any power to combat them.

Against a backdrop of increasing economic insecurity and fears about our planet's climate getting out of control, things are going to get really ****ing ugly. If you take the power away from people to shape their futures through civil processes they'll turn to other alternatives. It's going to be another long, hot summer.
Yes. And a worse winter if Repubs retake Congress.

Pro life!

View: https://twitter.com/bnnbreaking/status/1540500594107985920?s=21&t=lDPskhAFgR7DaG8TI-3PXA

And he promises to make our lives miserable.

View: https://twitter.com/beschlossdc/status/1540518947094728705?s=21&t=4ndtZ55i-2d3QuK8ZWzg6Q

This article hit me pretty hard and opened my eyes to the catastrophic effect this ruling will have on so many.

I'm not pro-murdering babies.

I'm pro-Becky who found out at her 20-week anatomy scan that the infant she had been so excited to bring into this world had developed without life sustaining organs.

I'm pro-Susan who was sexually assaulted on her way home from work, only to come to the horrific realization that her assailant planted his seed in her when she got a positive pregnancy test result a month later.

I'm pro-Theresa who hemorrhaged due to a placental abruption, causing her parents, spouse, and children to have to make the impossible decision on whether to save her or her unborn child.

I'm pro-little Cathy who had her innocence ripped away from her by someone she should have been able to trust and her 11-year-old body isn't mature enough to bear the consequence of that betrayal.

I'm pro-Melissa who's working two jobs just to make ends meet and has to choose between bringing another child into poverty or feeding the children she already has because her spouse walked out on her.

I'm pro-Brittany who realizes that she is in no way financially, emotionally, or physically able to raise a child.

I'm pro-Emily who went through IVF, ending up with SIX viable implanted eggs requiring selective reduction to ensure the safety of her and a SAFE number of fetuses.

I'm pro-Jessica who is FINALLY getting the strength to get away from her physically abusive spouse only to find out that she is carrying the monster's child.

I'm pro-Vanessa who went into her confirmation appointment after YEARS of trying to conceive only to hear silence where there should be a heartbeat.

I'm pro-Lindsay who lost her virginity in her sophomore year with a broken condom and now has to choose whether to be a teenage mom or just a teenager.

I'm pro-Courtney who just found out she's already 13 weeks along, but the egg never made it out of her fallopian tube so either she terminates the pregnancy or risks dying from internal bleeding.

You can argue and say that I'm pro-choice all you want, but the truth is:
I'm pro-life.
Their lives.
Women's lives.

You don't get to pick and choose which scenarios should be accepted. It's not about which stories you don't agree with. It's about fighting for the women in the stories that you do agree with and the CHOICE that was made.

Women's rights are meant to protect ALL women, regardless of their situation!

Overturning Roe does not stop abortions, it stops SAFE abortions!

Abortion is healthcare.

#roevwade #prochoice #abortion #women #womensrights #mybody #mychoice #mybodymychoice #promedical

It’s pretty hilarious to see pro lifers in the Dnews today and online like David French (I actually like him despite being pretty conservative) talking about how pro lifers now can show support for women and children through charitable programs. LOL. Pro lifers have had 50 years to do that. They couldn’t or wouldn’t because they never did. It’s similar to when Obama was first elected and I saw a number of Utah conservatives talking about creating charitable programs to help people pay for health care rather than passing the ACA. Well… uhhhh we had decades to develop such charitable programs and we didn’t.

What makes anyone think, especially after we’ve seen from conservatives over the last two years, that they’ll do anything to ease the burden for women and children now? Conservatives couldn’t wear masks or get vaccinated during Covid, a much more visible plague than abortion. They couldn’t even do the bare minimum to wear a mask usually handed out at store entrances or get vaccinated for free at any local grocery store. What makes anyone think they’ll voluntarily chip in to pay for the health care, child support, food, and education for women and children?

We all know what’s going to happen. Rich and/or white citizens will find ways to get abortions. Those who aren’t as fortunate? They’re going to either give birth or find abortions through clothes hangers, as what happened pre-Roe. again, if we aren’t going to learn from history we’re going to repeat it.

Last edited:

View: https://twitter.com/thekategaffney/status/1540360524713537537?s=21&t=kIzfLwCgD8fZlSHmqU3RBg

Read the thread above. And then read this:
The law makes no exception for rape or incest

Pro life! Other red states have similar trigger laws. And we all know other red states will pass more restrictive laws to ownthelibs and stir up their base. If you’re running for office in a red state, you’re going to rush to become the most anti abortion candidate out there to stand out.

I'm not pro-murdering babies.

I'm pro-Becky who found out at her 20-week anatomy scan that the infant she had been so excited to bring into this world had developed without life sustaining organs.

I'm pro-Susan who was sexually assaulted on her way home from work, only to come to the horrific realization that her assailant planted his seed in her when she got a positive pregnancy test result a month later.

I'm pro-Theresa who hemorrhaged due to a placental abruption, causing her parents, spouse, and children to have to make the impossible decision on whether to save her or her unborn child.

I'm pro-little Cathy who had her innocence ripped away from her by someone she should have been able to trust and her 11-year-old body isn't mature enough to bear the consequence of that betrayal.

I'm pro-Melissa who's working two jobs just to make ends meet and has to choose between bringing another child into poverty or feeding the children she already has because her spouse walked out on her.

I'm pro-Brittany who realizes that she is in no way financially, emotionally, or physically able to raise a child.

I'm pro-Emily who went through IVF, ending up with SIX viable implanted eggs requiring selective reduction to ensure the safety of her and a SAFE number of fetuses.

I'm pro-Jessica who is FINALLY getting the strength to get away from her physically abusive spouse only to find out that she is carrying the monster's child.

I'm pro-Vanessa who went into her confirmation appointment after YEARS of trying to conceive only to hear silence where there should be a heartbeat.

I'm pro-Lindsay who lost her virginity in her sophomore year with a broken condom and now has to choose whether to be a teenage mom or just a teenager.

I'm pro-Courtney who just found out she's already 13 weeks along, but the egg never made it out of her fallopian tube so either she terminates the pregnancy or risks dying from internal bleeding.

You can argue and say that I'm pro-choice all you want, but the truth is:
I'm pro-life.
Their lives.
Women's lives.

You don't get to pick and choose which scenarios should be accepted. It's not about which stories you don't agree with. It's about fighting for the women in the stories that you do agree with and the CHOICE that was made.

Women's rights are meant to protect ALL women, regardless of their situation!

Overturning Roe does not stop abortions, it stops SAFE abortions!

Abortion is healthcare.

#roevwade #prochoice #abortion #women #womensrights #mybody #mychoice #mybodymychoice #promedical
Good post. I’m anti abortion and pro choice.

So a man impregnates a woman and she is forced to have the baby. Shouldn’t there also be legislation that the man is who impregnated her is also forced to have the baby? Like they should be forced to care for and pay for it right? Maybe they should have to get vasectomies or something if they miss a payment or arent around when a mother and child need them for something.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Christian/conservative fascists are now between the momma bear and its cub. This hasn’t ended well for them historically (civil war, Jim Crow, womens suffrage, etc.) so what makes them think this is gonna just go away?

They want civil war? Ok, the US government and the military will respond, and we will call on our allies to help put them down. Good ****ing luck. Can’t wait to give Texas back to Mexico and Northern Territory to Canada in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know how much clearer they can get. They’re telling us right now what’s going to be on the chopping block soon. It’s just… right there. Out in the open. Like when Trump would tell us which crimes he was committing and no one took it seriously because it was done out in the open in front of everyone.

Frankly, I’m getting tired of folks telling us that we’re being alarmist despite us being right about every damn thing in the last several years. We told you trump was a demagogue. We told you he was going to rip people off. We told you he wasn’t going to pass any health care plans or solve any real problems. We told you he wasn’t going to accept the election results. We told you he wasn’t going to go away quietly. And we’re telling folks on this board today that the activist Supreme Court is going to take rights that you take for granted today and run them through a wood chipper because they hate the Current culture. and we’re still being called alarmist?! It’s getting to be ridiculous the lack of imagination many in America continue to have.

Authoritarianism preys on people’s lack of imagination. It can and is happening here. Wake the **** up folks! LGBT rights are going to have their time in the barrel soon.
One of the best tweets I saw yesterday said something like this: “All of those who were saying we were overreacting when Trump got elected can **** right off.”