What's new

Rubio traded to Jazz

Spurs are going to get Hill for pennies and I'm going to be pissed. I really hope a 2nd team charges the price up.
I think the jazz match pennies even with the rubio trade. Hill still gonna cost them.

Confession: I irrationally love Ricky Rubio. I understand he's one of the worst shooters of all time. Don't care. I love him every single time I watch him play. I watched a lot of Wolves games on league pass this season and adored Ricky the whole time.

I'm honestly excited to have him.

Regarding Hill: I understand that when he was good, he was really good for us this last season. But George Hill is a 31 year old non-all star who missed almost half the year with injuries. That's not the guy you give a big long term contract too. I had been dreading it all offseason that we were going to overpay him. Huge sigh of relief.

Plus Rubio has the cutest eyebrows and my wife will probably watch games with me again. Huge win in the Sirkickyass household!

Confession: I irrationally love Ricky Rubio. I understand he's one of the worst shooters of all time. Don't care. I love him every single time I watch him play. I watched a lot of Wolves games on league pass this season and adored Ricky the whole time.

I'm honestly excited to have him.

Regarding Hill: I understand that when he was good, he was really good for us this last season. But George Hill is a 31 year old non-all star who missed almost half the year with injuries. That's not the guy you give a big long term contract too. I had been dreading it all offseason that we were going to overpay him. Huge sigh of relief.

Plus Rubio has the cutest eyebrows and my wife will probably watch games with me again. Huge win in the Sirkickyass household!

in your defense, it isn't really irrational despite the poor shooting. ultimately your offense is better with him on the floor.

Makes me wonder what the heck they were squabblin about and why this took so long, either they wanted more and gave in or we offered burks, favors, 2nd rounds and they wanted a 1st and we were like "then no extras" and we met in the middle, one of those two scenarios methinks

:confused:

In exchange for Oklahoma City's 1st round pick from Kanter trade. Wow.

Makes me wonder what will happen with Hill, though. Is he going to want to share time with Rubio? I suspect this means Hill might be gone. And I hope reports of the Hayward/Hill bromance are overblown for that reason.

Hill can play off the ball and Rubio is a great passer and defender

Why I like this;

1) sure's up our PG position heading into GH talks
2) Rubio is a great defender and was a better shooter last year than he had been previously
3) He is 26 and we got him for nothing
4) He fits in with Exums development curve; Rubio @ 2 years >>>> G.Hill @ 4 years

We also save heaps of $$$$. Can someone explain to me how this works with last years cap space?

Spurs are going to get Hill for pennies and I'm going to be pissed. I really hope a 2nd team charges the price up.
Who will be the first to say - after he signs for $15M/per - that Lindsey should be fired because Utah should have signed him for that much instead of trading for Rubio? We're going to have to put up with that logic from the usual boo-birds for the next 4 years.

Why I like this;

1) sure's up our PG position heading into GH talks
2) Rubio is a great defender and was a better shooter last year than he had been previously
3) He is 26 and we got him for nothing
4) He fits in with Exums development curve; Rubio @ 2 years >>>> G.Hill @ 4 years

We also save heaps of $$$$. Can someone explain to me how this works with last years cap space?
Well, we don't save a dime due to signing him with last year's cap space. Just means Jazz were able to trade for him without having to send out salaries. He still counts the same against the upcoming year's cap as he would have if the trade had been made July 1st.

Only save heaps of money if compared against what Hill was demanding (at least >$20M/per since that's what he allegedly turned down at the extension deadline).

I do agree with fitting Exum's development curve. However, this might be a negative heading into the Hayward talks if Gordon really wanted the Jazz to sign Hill. IMO, Utah needs to make another move. But can they? Jazz may need to match for Ingles to have any hopes of Hayward staying. Don't see them having enough wiggle room under the tax either this year or in the future. I believe the repeater penalties kick in if a team is in the tax 3 of 4 years.

Patty Mills 4/50 to the Spurs.

Where does George Hill go? Was George asking for so much money even SAS balked?

I guess I'm surprised Mills didn't get more. I think there's plenty of value at that price.

Patty Mills 4/50 to the Spurs.

Where does George Hill go? Was George asking for so much money even SAS balked?
So curious to see what Hill ends up with. Hard to believe that a non All Star, 30+ year old point guard with a sketchy injury history will command that much in a soft market. Will be interesting to see if the Jazz try to keep him.

So curious to see what Hill ends up with. Hard to believe that a non All Star, 30+ year old point guard with a sketchy injury history will command that much in a soft market. Will be interesting to see if the Jazz try to keep him.
Hey George, this is Dennis. We hear NO ONE offered you a contract. We'll give you $10M - if you also wash uniforms on your off day.

I'd say there's about a 1% chance he'd sign with Utah. Jazz gave him a great offer. He was greedy and thought he deserved a LOT more. TBH, I'd rather see Utah sign Teo at the MLE.

Hey George, this is Dennis. We hear NO ONE offered you a contract. We'll give you $10M - if you also wash uniforms on your off day.

I'd say there's about a 1% chance he'd sign with Utah. Jazz gave him a great offer. He was greedy and thought he deserved a LOT more. TBH, I'd rather see Utah sign Teo at the MLE.
If the price gets down into the range of money that the Spurs just paid for Patty Mills, I'd really hope the Jazz keep him. He was a solid veteran pickup and would still be a solid rotational player even with Rubio on board.

We really shouldn't be ragging on Hill like this. He made a mistake and didn't have a smart, connected agent to let him know that it was one. Hill was an incredible contributor, despite the injuries, filled a necessary leadership vacuum that helped our young team improve, and was great to the community. He's a stand up guy and deserves the very best.

No need to be vindictive.

It's Rubio for Hill. Mack was gone either way, but with this trade there's no way the Jazz bring back Hill. That would be far too much money locked up in the PG position

Hill would still very much be in play if you want to play Rubio and Hill together. Hood is a very replaceable player and Hill/Rubio is much better than Hill/Hood.

Hill would still very much be in play if you want to play Rubio and Hill together. Hood is a very replaceable player and Hill/Rubio is much better than Hill/Hood.
I'd take Hood over old and messed up Hill.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk