What's new

Rudy Gobert 5 years, $205M

Curious: would MKG (also released yesterday) rather than RHJ satisfy you?
I think it would be a fine move, but nothing I’d get giddy over. I really liked MKG the year preceding his draft. But I don’t know that he brings enough instant impact stuff to see much burn. I think you’d see a lot of the end of the bench getting minutes above him. With RHJ, I see very specific roles and immediate eyeball test value.

Let's do this. I feared Gobert was going to be silly about all of this. It looks as if the Jazz filled his 'make me feel valuable' box. That was the "diva'ish" part of this situation. But I also am glad it wasn't $228 million. I thought $195 was the number as well as many did here.

Regardless, we are almost guaranteed some fun years of basketball for the next half decade. These may or may not be the Stockton/Malone years, but they will be more memorable to me than the Slick Willy / Boozer years.

Can we turn Conley's contract into a long term, spendy asset that really 'beefs up' our roster? I think that's the path to a title. Conley's expiring for that last piece to the puzzle plus luxury tax for 4 years is really looking like more of a probability than a possibility imho.

These are good times. Let the good times roll!

As I see it now, this is our team for the next 2 years. We have a punchers chance at a championship (about 5%). After two years, things get dicey. Ingles probably retires and we have no way to get a replacement.
We might already have some good wings coming up to fill his spot, actually. But I more or less agree: we have 3 years.

I think it would be a fine move, but nothing I’d get giddy over. I really liked MKG the year preceding his draft. But I don’t know that he brings enough instant impact stuff to see much burn. I think you’d see a lot of the end of the bench getting minutes above him. With RHJ, I see very specific roles and immediate eyeball test value.
RHJ is better on both sides of the ball. I’d rather roll with the young guys than sign MKG.

I’m curious to see if we fill that spot. I don’t think RHJ goes jobless. The shimmy alone is worth signing him.

RHJ is better on both sides of the ball. I’d rather roll with the young guys than sign MKG.

I’m curious to see if we fill that spot. I don’t think RHJ goes jobless. The shimmy alone is worth signing him.
If we pick up RHJ, I'm going to go ahead and guarantee WCF. If we then make an in-season OPJ trade, I am going to guarantee a title.

If the Jazz were to trade Conley... can we then add a player who makes his $34 million dollars but has, say, 4 years left on his contract?

If so... Tobias isn't working out around the deadline? Perhaps Aaron Gordon on a S&T? Etc. etc.

I just want to make sure I am not smoking something here for all yall capologists.

If the Jazz were to trade Conley... can we then add a player who makes his $34 million dollars but has, say, 4 years left on his contract?

If so... Tobias isn't working out around the deadline? Perhaps Aaron Gordon on a S&T? Etc. etc.

I just want to make sure I am not smoking something here for all yall capologists.

We can, but that is a huge hole in Ryan Smith's wallet. We'll see how much he's willing to pay going forward. From hear on out, the main limit is how much he is willing to spend.

I'm sure Conley for Harris works. After this year Conley might resign for less than half though, where Tobias will remain horridly overpaid through 2024.
So if Im doing that deal want a big sweetner like Shake Milton or a 1st.

I'm sure Conley for Harris works. After this year Conley might resign for less than half though, where Tobias will remain horridly overpaid through 2024.
So if Im doing that deal want a big sweetner like Shake Milton or a 1st.
We aren’t going to take on another high-dollar contract like that. I’d be shocked. It’ll be Don, Rudy, and the surrounding cast.

Tobias seems to be a poor man's Niang at shooting from three, but a rich man's Niang at everything else. All at the price tag of 30 Niangs. I'm not sure how much better we are swapping Conley for Tobias. Not because Conley's good or Tobias is bad, but it just seems very washy. Maybe worse. Tobias plays good enough that you can't justify not playing him, but what we need (athletic defender wing) are the things he lacks.