What's new

Ryan wants a new arena

I really just don't get the need for new arenas. I've been to a good amount of sporting events in different arenas in different towns. I just go to my seat sit down and watch th game then leave. As long as the seats are comfortable I'm happy. They need to put more money into the seats being comfortable, less into new arenas
This 100%.
And a few years ago they did a pretty big upgrade to the arena that make the seats more comfortable. Added padding and an inch or 2 of space. Still not very comfortable but not bad.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I support the move. Ryan wants to own the land around the arena. That is what a lot of owners have done. So they make money off the places that move in around the arena.

I also think a little bit bigger arena would benefit the jazz. They sell out a lot of games and more seats means more revenue.

He also wants an NHL team and that would take an arena designed to house an NBA team and an NHL team.

I just think change is too hard for people to accept.

As far as waiting for the team to get better this is a 3 or 4 year time frame. It is not happening right away.

I also think bringing the arena closer to silicon slopes may create more business sponsor and or box sales.

I think it would be great to integrate the practice facility with the arena.

I support the move. Ryan wants to own the land around the arena. That is what a lot of owners have done. So they make money off the places that move in around the arena.

I also think a little bit bigger arena would benefit the jazz. They sell out a lot of games and more seats means more revenue.

He also wants an NHL team and that would take an arena designed to house an NBA team and an NHL team.

I just think change is too hard for people to accept.

As far as waiting for the team to get better this is a 3 or 4 year time frame. It is not happening right away.

I also think bringing the arena closer to silicon slopes may create more business sponsor and or box sales.

I think it would be great to integrate the practice facility with the arena.

I'm fine with it as long as the tax payers aren't the ones paying for a billionaire to maximize his earning potential.

That said, it would certainly make going to the games substantially more lame. Would rather have a night out in downtown SLC than in the middle of no where.

This would kill the game day experience. Draper is suburbia. There’s nothing to do there before or after the games. SLC is the only bearable part of the state with any kind of life to it.

**** this!!!
I think the idea would be to create an arena district with all kinds of entertainment, dining, etc., around the new arena. I fly in for a lot of games (have season tickets) as the airport is so convenient it is a fairly easy thing to do. I would definitely not buy season tix for a Draper team, but could see the potential appeal if executed directly. I feel like there is enough downtown to accomplish this. It is a shame the Gateway didn't accomplish this. I think there is still opportunity to continue to develop downtown, but I can see why the current arena is not ideal for NHL.

I’d be shocked if this doesn’t happen… it’s not like Draper is going to be the same that it is today, the state is trying to pump up the old prison site as some cool 15 minute city. Hopefully we can also get MLB, so that downtown doesn’t suffer too much.

This is the concept of using tax increment financing to build an anchor to lure other businesses into an area. Similar to the old Salt Palace being built to eradicate the slums downtown.

I think the idea would be to create an arena district with all kinds of entertainment, dining, etc., around the new arena. I fly in for a lot of games (have season tickets) as the airport is so convenient it is a fairly easy thing to do. I would definitely not buy season tix for a Draper team, but could see the potential appeal if executed directly. I feel like there is enough downtown to accomplish this. It is a shame the Gateway didn't accomplish this. I think there is still opportunity to continue to develop downtown, but I can see why the current arena is not ideal for NHL.
Good thing that area right off the point never has traffic. 134th south and north to Bangeter Is easy to get to. And the east west roads are even better. I used to commute on 123rd south. It was always fun to drive one block and get hit with another 5 min stoplight. There’s also no Trax access to the prison location area. Which is something downtown salt lake has. You can hit up some restaurants before the game, hop on trax for free downtown, and get to the arena in a few mins.

I remember when Draper built corner canyon high school. Their mascot originally was going to be a cougar. But a group of parents complained saying that too many would think of Draper women. So they changed it to Chargers.

And yet this place also wants to be the location for pro sports, bare, restaurants, and all the stuff that comes with pro sports? lol okay

Last edited:
The area near the Delta Center has good mass transit, walkable bars, restaurants and hotels. An arena in Draper would be at the very best an entertainment complex that would feel like a cookie cutter strip mall with inauthentic dining, drinking and entertainment. It would all be overpriced, the food would be "safe" standard Americanized mass produced trash. The bars would be sanitized. There would be no real competition because it would all be controlled by Ryan so they would just be filling slots in their pre-planned concept.

Yuck.

I hear the land under the arena is leased for a dollar. The millers were pretty awesome in that they didn’t beg the state for money… they got a little bit of breaks but didn’t try this weird build a ginormous arena area on the taxpayers dime BS most owners do.

I like @Saint Cy of JFC ’d idea… make seats comfy. I’ll add… have decent food and decent bathrooms. That’s all you need.

I hear about things like an NHL team, MLB team, winter Olympics in 2034, new jazz arena, etc and it makes me sick.
Our air is total ****. Sometimes it's literally the worst in the country.
Our droughts are terrifying.
All this stuff would bring way more people (we are already growing to fast without all that crap) and make both issues way worse.

The mountains and nature (best thing about this place) would be even way more crowded than they already are. No solitude anymore. My rivers would be ****ed.

Utah is pretty safe and low crime and relatively low homelessness.
All this crap and all these people coming will make both things worse.

Rent and home prices and property taxes will all increase. Sure the local economy will increase as a whole (we already have a great local economy) and money will come in but that money wont be any kind of equal distribution. The already rich will get the vast majority of the money while the poor just get poorer.

But mainly, before we get any Olympics or arenas or anymore sports teams we need solutions for our air pollution problem and lack of water problem. Everything else should be put on hold until we fix those 2 issues first and foremost

Last edited:
I hear about things like an NHL team, MLB team, winter Olympics in 2034, new jazz arena, etc and it makes me sick.
Our air is total ****. Sometimes it's literally the worst in the country.
Our droughts are terrifying.
All this stuff would bring way more people (we are already growing to fast without all that crap) and make both issues way worse.

The mountains and nature (best thing about this place) would be even way more crowded than they already are. No solitude anymore. My rivers would be ****ed.

Utah is pretty safe and low crime and relatively low homelessness.
All this crap and all these people coming will make both things worse.

Rent and home prices and property taxes will all increase. Sure the local economy will increase as a whole (we already have a great local economy) and money will come in but that money wont be any kind of equal distribution. The already rich will get the vast majority of the money while the poor just get poorer.

But mainly, before we get any Olympics or arenas or anymore sports teams we need solutions for our air pollution problem and lack of water problem. Everything else should be put on hold until we fix those 2 issues first and foremost

Utah is already screwed, very little solitude. Can't stand many of my favorite places from when I was young due to the overcrowding. Traffic has gotten bad. Most ski resorts have huge lines if you can even find a parking spot. I don't even attempt to ski @ the SLC resorts anymore. COVID moved a lot more people to the outdoors and it has persisted.

I bought a vacation house in western MT to have some solitude. I'm sure eventually it will get crowded too, but it is awesome right now. Even without more pro teams, Utah is growing like crazy, and it likely won't slow down any time soon, especially with the state offering all kinds of incentives for business to relocate to the state.

I remember when Draper built corner canyon high school. Their mascot originally was going to be a cougar. But a group of parents complained saying that too many would think of Draper women. So they changed it to Chargers.

And yet this place also wants to be the location for pro sports, bare, restaurants, and all the stuff that comes with pro sports? lol okay

LOL, never heard that. The Draper Cougars would have been perfect! Love me some Draper cougars.

The area near the Delta Center has good mass transit, walkable bars, restaurants and hotels. An arena in Draper would be at the very best an entertainment complex that would feel like a cookie cutter strip mall with inauthentic dining, drinking and entertainment. It would all be overpriced, the food would be "safe" standard Americanized mass produced trash. The bars would be sanitized. There would be no real competition because it would all be controlled by Ryan so they would just be filling slots in their pre-planned concept.

Yuck.

Jeez, you make it sound like it's going to be in a mormon suburb of SLC. Oh wait.