What's new

Ryan wants a new arena

Jeez, you make it sound like it's going to be in a mormon suburb of SLC. Oh wait.
I can see the sales pitch now...

"Have you been to The District in South Jordan? Well! Imagine that, but with an NBA arena in it! Of course we'll keep some of the lower end establishments out and add a bar similar to the ones you might find in the new SLC Airport, but with a slightly higher price point. It'll be stupendous!"

"The real focal point will be the children's play zone with an option for paid supervised play times."

Big mistake imo. The Delta Center itself and the location are iconic. I love to watch a game from SLC and see alternate shots of the old Union Pacific Depot, the Tenple Grounds, Trax, Amtrak and the State Capital close by. Big mistake if it’s the prison grounds or pollution pluming from smokestacks or just the temperature inversion smog itself.

It would solve the issue of players not wanting to play for the Jazz. Probably a good money maker too. Don't see that happening unless Utah does something stupid like the Sonics did...
Moving this franchise to Utah would mean:
1.) A much better fan base
2.) Actually being able to sign free agents
3.) Actually being able to compete for a championship
4.) Tenfold in revenue for Ryan Smith
5.) State of the art arena

Moving this franchise to Utah would mean:
1.) A much better fan base
2.) Actually being able to sign free agents
3.) Actually being able to compete for a championship
4.) Tenfold in revenue for Ryan Smith
5.) State of the art arena
It's already in Utah. Salt lake City is in the state of Utah

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Mark my words, if they build a brand new [unnecessary] arena, while a perfectly good [and historical] Delta Center goes to waste, we will hear the spin and have to sit through puff pieces about how green the new arena is, it’s positive impact on the environment, and its net zero carbon emissions. It will be like the selling of indulgences. You will also hear about how the building of the new arena helped combat [insert social ill]. You may think this sounds ridiculous, especially if you view these as worthy causes and feel offended at such a cynical attitude toward it, but I hope it is more offensive when those causes are co-opted into the building of a new arena and the strings of compassion are strung to facilitate profitable industry to be cloaked in altruistic righteousness and humanism.

Big mistake imo. The Delta Center itself and the location are iconic. I love to watch a game from SLC and see alternate shots of the old Union Pacific Depot, the Tenple Grounds, Trax, Amtrak and the State Capital close by. Big mistake if it’s the prison grounds or pollution pluming from smokestacks or just the temperature inversion smog itself.

Yeah, if the Jazz are trying to sell Salt Lake City as a market to NBA players and sponsors, putting an arena out in Draper would be a step backwards. If Ryan Smith wants an arena for hockey, then build a hockey arena out there and use it for the Olympics.

Yeah, if the Jazz are trying to sell Salt Lake City as a market to NBA players and sponsors, putting an arena out in Draper would be a step backwards. If Ryan Smith wants an arena for hockey, then build a hockey arena out there and use it for the Olympics.
Exactly right! Another Winter Olympics bid huh? That’d be great as well. All people need is to experience the city and what it has to offer. I know that Conley and Gobert enjoyed their time there.

If Ryan Smith genuinely wants to see the Jazz compete for a championship in his life time, Vegas is easily the best move.

You think players care that much about the arena being in SLC vs a suburb? They probably think SLC is a suburb already

I don't want them to move to Vegas, but I would legitimately go to more home games in Vegas than I would in Draper. Draper sucks!

That's fine. Basketball is not the most important thing in life. If it's between subsidizing his billionaire income and moving the team, he can go ahead and move.
Utah provides large businesses all kinds of incentives to build and grow in the state. Depending on the incentives it may make sense. The Jazz organization creates a lot of direct and indirect jobs in the state.

Seattle learned that the hard way, and may finally get a team back. Not sure the NBA would care to bring the NBA back to Utah if it left.