What's new

Ryan wants a new arena

Utah provides large businesses all kinds of incentives to build and grow in the state. Depending on the incentives it may make sense. The Jazz organization creates a lot of direct and indirect jobs in the state.

Seattle learned that the hard way, and may finally get a team back. Not sure the NBA would care to bring the NBA back to Utah if it left.

There's zero reason to believe that moving the arena from one part of the city to another will provide any kind of lift for the state's economy.

There's zero reason to believe that moving the arena from one part of the city to another will provide any kind of lift for the state's economy.
I agree with you but for what it's worth I think the post you quoted was talking about the states economy losing money if the jazz move to Vegas.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I agree with you but for what it's worth I think the post you quoted was talking about the states economy losing money if the jazz move to Vegas.

Perhaps, but we'd lose money if we gave him a billion dollar hand out as well. So it's basically extortion. "You either lose a billion dollars now, or potentially even more if you don't subsidize my company". Yeah, **** that. I'd take my chances.

Perhaps, but we'd lose money if we gave him a billion dollar hand out as well. So it's basically extortion. "You either lose a billion dollars now, or potentially even more if you don't subsidize my company". Yeah, **** that. I'd take my chances.
If the ask includes an NHL hockey team, you'd have to consider it. A lot more jobs, and potentially development around the new site. Just depends on what is asked for. If it is not $ upfront and just temporary tax breaks, it would be worth considering depending on the ask. The state already does that for many companies.

You think players care that much about the arena being in SLC vs a suburb? They probably think SLC is a suburb already
Look Salt Lake City is not a huge city. We all know that. But it is a City and the downtown area has a lot of old buildings and the kind of character a city center has that is distinctly different than the character of a place that was mostly farmland 20 years ago, so remote that they put the state prison out there. Now it's all McMansions and strip malls and the location of the Arena would probably be at least partially on the site of the former prison. There will be nothing but glass box office building, parking lots galore, no mass transit and possibly an arena attached to an entertainment complex that will be designed by LDS real estate developers. They'll have to start calling cookie cutters something different because it will become the actual definition of cookie-cutter.

There will be a pizza place that makes pizza that tastes like carboard. There will be a Chinese place that is drenched in either a sugar sauce or a slightly less sweet savory sauce with all the exact same menu items you grew to love in 1983 in Utah. There will be a place that sells you fancy French fries. There will be a dessert place with all show no substance desserts. There will be an activity center will mini bowling, arcade games and a small indoor roller coaster. There will be a children's play land that will be right next to the food court. In the most obscure back corner they will have a clean and bright sports bar that will cut you off at two drinks, which will be a blessing because the cheapest thing to buy will probably be at least $14. Everything will feel like it's made out of plastic. You'll pull your jacked up truck, 3 row SUV or mini van into a large parking garage to get in and out of this pedestrian island, walking in and out will be nearly impossible and likely very unsafe, essentially discouraged at every turn. Once inside there will be hoards of 6, 7, 8 or more children families with kids running absolutely wild and unsupervised. The already mostly white audience will be even more white and they will bring more kids because it will feel safe to bring them to this disinfected hellscape.

People in the Salt Lake Valley already complain that they don't feel safe in downtown SLC like it's ****ing Detroit 1989 or Compton 1995. Having to park offsite and walk through the horrors of one of the safest cities in the U.S. is enough to discourage bringing the whole clan out for a game for a lot of people. Move to Draper and it will be the exact opposite. They'll probably start running promos on 10+ ticket family packages that include hot dogs, nachos and 80oz of soda each.

I will never step foot in the place if this happens and I will legitimately stop being a Jazz fan. At least if Ryan sold the team and they moved out of state I wouldn't have to drive by and see the corpse of my fandom occasionally.

You think players care that much about the arena being in SLC vs a suburb? They probably think SLC is a suburb already

Salt Lake City has a modicum of a downtown with some nice hotels, upscale restaurants, a couple clubs, etc. It's a reasonable, somewhat-urban environment. The tv crews show it off every chance they get.

If you think Utah gets a bad rap from pundits now, wait til they're out by Point of the Mountain.

Heard on a podcast that the new Kings arena is one of the best or the best in the league. I'll be honest... it doesn't add one bit to the experience versus Arco... which was a dump. Also been to the new Warriors arena... it has a bunch of clubs... super kewl but added nothing for me personally.

Comfy seats, good food options, decent parking, clean urinals and I'm good.

Also, there's been some talk about Las Vegas and Seattle getting expansion franchises, but there's zero talk about Ryan moving the Jazz out of Utah.

I guess it is hard to feel sorry for utahns when I already live in the worst cost of living states. With taxes so high it is almost unbearable.
I've been eyeballing a few other states cuz CA is an expensive dumpster fire. All my wife's family is here... recently been a lot of family fighting and I'm tempted to stir the pot to get the fam motivated to leave.

I've been eyeballing a few other states cuz CA is an expensive dumpster fire. All my wife's family is here... recently been a lot of family fighting and I'm tempted to stir the pot to get the fam motivated to leave.
My problem is my wife was just made the CEO of her company and makes a lot more money then we could make any where else. Both are families live in Northern Utah but living 3 miles from the beach. 15 minutes from disney. With an average temp around 75° is just too tempting.

My problem is my wife was just made the CEO of her company and makes a lot more money then we could make any where else. Both are families live in Northern Utah but living 3 miles from the beach. 15 minutes from disney. With an average temp around 75° is just too tempting.
Makes sense... I love the weather here. My work is the opposite. I could be anywhere. Have wanted to move to like Destin area or Myrtle Beach to be next to the ocean on the cheap... or Texas to get a low cost of living. it ain't happening though.

That's what Seattle said.
As a Seattleite, I can tell you the vast majority of folks don't miss the Sonics. Stern came into the state like a complete pompous *******. I was happy the state legislature gave him the finger. For a few, like myself, it is certainly a bummer to not have access to Jazz games when visiting, but life goes on. I see enough games in SLC or PDX to fill my cup. The older I get, the more I prefer to watch at home. Seattle will get a team one day, but I'm not sure they will ever be fully accepted. Seattleites are a passive aggressive people.

Oh I agree. I don't want to pay for a new arena and if that means the jazz leave then so be it.
Just pointing out that your response to that particular post was not relevant imo.

I really just don't get the need for new arenas. I've been to a good amount of sporting events in different arenas in different towns. I just go to my seat sit down and watch th game then leave. As long as the seats are comfortable I'm happy. They need to put more money into the seats being comfortable, less into new arenas

This. I feel like a stadium would be better off putting 1,000-2000 less seats in an arena and charging 5-10% more with kick *** leather seats or something. Would make it an amazing experience.

This. I feel like a stadium would be better off putting 1,000-2000 less seats in an arena and charging 5-10% more with kick *** leather seats or something. Would make it an amazing experience.
Movies cost way more now than they did 15 years ago but i sure do enjoy the movies alot more now than 15 years ago. The screens, sound system, and especially the seats are all pretty amazing today.