What's new

Sexton Trade Ideas Thread

Adding Brogdon doesn't help us compete for anything besides mediocrity. Hopefully we start the season terrible and then focus on all the young guys.
Is Lauri a young guy or a win-now vet?

This is what a lot of things come down to when you look at the future of this group. He has about 3 years of his true prime remaining (although he'll have an NBA job until he's 39 if he wants it). Each season we waste losing in the name of "development" is a season where we also waste his prime.

Last edited:
Even though we looked much better last night and Lauri was awesome… I still felt like there were times our guards needed to feed him and didn’t. I just feel like we need at least one guy on the court that exists to support all the mouths we have to feed… sexton, JC, THT, and even Dunn are sticky with the ball at times. This is something contagious… anyone who has played pickup at the local gym has felt it… I just worry Lauri, Collins, Kessler are gonna see the ball like 20% less than they should. It doesn’t have to be a pg… but that the package it usually comes in.
Indeed. That's the inevitable side effect of having a bunch of combo guards (a euphemism for "small guy who wants to score a lot") masquerading as playmakers.

All NBA players have their personal comfort zones. Everybody can step outside it occasionally, but at some point the true basketball identity of a guy always comes to the surface. You see it on this team when a big is on fire and has scored four straight baskets.. and then doesn't get the ball at all on four consecutive trips. It's not because the guards are selfish per se, but they're all scorers at heart and it's just incredibly tough for guys like that to keep "deferring" (even though they'd actually be helping the overall offense).

A scorer who can occasionally do some playmaking is very different than a playmaker who can score a bit. We have none of the latter. Dunn probably comes the closest, and as you said, the ball sticks to him too.

Last edited:
Indeed. That's the inevitable side effect of having a bunch of combo guards (a euphemism for "small guy who wants to score a lot") masquerading as playmakers.

All NBA players have their personal comfort zones. Everybody can step outside it occasionally, but at some point the true basketball identity of a guy always comes to the surface. You see it on this team when a big is on fire and has scored four straight baskets.. and then doesn't get the ball at all on four consecutive trips. It's not because the guards are selfish per se, but they're all scorers at heart and it's just incredibly tough for guys like that to keep "deferring" (even though they'd actually be helping the overall offense).

A scorer who can occasionally do some playmaking is very different than a playmaker who can score a bit. We have none of the latter. Dunn probably comes the closest, and as you said, the ball sticks to him too.
Wish we could have preserved prime Joe Ingles… he seems to fit so much of what this team could use.

Is Lauri a young guy or a win-now vet?

This is what a lot of things come down to when you look at the future of this group. He has about 3 years of his true prime remaining (although he'll have an NBA job until he's 39 if he wants it). Each season we waste losing in the name of "development" is a season where we also waste his prime.
I think his prime could be much longer than that but point stands… we are on the “timeline” of our best player or best prospective player if you have someone like Wemby or Scoot… we don’t have that high level prospect and Lauri is quite good. So we are def on Lauri’s timeline… make deals accordingly.

I am hating myself for even thinking this but to be honest the best player the jazz could get for Sexton and THT is James Harden. One of my least favorite players but he is a fantastic ball mover. I think he lead the NBA in assists last year or close to it.

I know he sucks at defense but if he would be willing to play her do it.

Like.mentioned before you could then trade him at the deadline to the clippers or ride him to the playoffs.

I feel dirty now and need to go shower.

I am hating myself for even thinking this but to be honest the best player the jazz could get for Sexton and THT is James Harden. One of my least favorite players but he is a fantastic ball mover. I think he lead the NBA in assists last year or close to it.

Like.mentioned before you could then trade him at the deadline to the clippers or ride him to the playoffs.

He's literally one of the worst ball movers in the history of the NBA...

So looking at options...I figure the jazz would want to do a 2 for 1 trade or a 2 for 2 when 1 player can just be waived. Need a team that could use some guards.

First trade jazz trade collin sexton and THT to Atlanta for Bogdan Bogdanovic and Patty Mills.

Mills would be waived. Not the most sexy and I am not figuring any picks but there could be. Atlanta gets some great bench players where they are weak. This could really help Atlanta bench however ATL is taking back more salary and they don't want that.

Fontecchio replaces THT and that works too and saves ATL money. Doesn't help with the logjam however.

Boston would be interesting if you could get Derrick White. The problem is they are very top heavy in salaries and would be tough to work a deal. Sexton for white straight up works but I have no idea why boston would do that.

They desperately need Kelly Olynyk but that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I do think it's important that Jazz don't rush into making a trade. I don't think this is a well rounded roster with amazing fit between all the players. When the Jazz had Don+Rudy surrounded by a horribly imbalanced team I felt that the FO should have been extremely vigilant in looking for trades to better round out the roster, but that was when we were chasing a title with a ticking time bomb.

One of the things about this roster is that it's fairly well set up for heliocentric, ball dominant players. Kessler, Collins, and Lauri are not guys who play with the ball in their hands, but they are very efficient play finishers. Sexton/THT along with JC might not be the ideal ball dominant players you want, but I think they will look good in this lineup. Their future trade value will probably be in a healthy state because of that and the Jazz should be able to be patient in finding the right move. So while I don't think Sexton is a long term fit I'm in no hurry to trade him.

The time to be urgent is when chasing the ring not the play in.

I do think it's important that Jazz don't rush into making a trade. I don't think this is a well rounded roster with amazing fit between all the players. When the Jazz had Don+Rudy surrounded by a horribly imbalanced team I felt that the FO should have been extremely vigilant in looking for trades to better round out the roster, but that was when we were chasing a title with a ticking time bomb.

One of the things about this roster is that it's fairly well set up for heliocentric, ball dominant players. Kessler, Collins, and Lauri are not guys who play with the ball in their hands, but they are very efficient play finishers. Sexton/THT along with JC might not be the ideal ball dominant players you want, but I think they will look good in this lineup. Their future trade value will probably be in a healthy state because of that and the Jazz should be able to be patient in finding the right move. So while I don't think Sexton is a long term fit I'm in no hurry to trade him.

Good post

Couldn't agree more. There shouldn't be any urgency in making a move to chase the play in. Let this current group get a decent run together and see what emerges so we have a better idea of who could be a keeper and who should be shopped.

I'm sure Ainge won't have any problem getting Lauri excited about that near future scenario when it's time to renegotiate and extend.

You know... to negotiate the contract that will cover the rest of his NBA prime.

No I get it, I really do. After watching NBA Today today and hearing that Harden missed practice and has been in Houston for the past three days I started to speculating. I mean can you even imagine getting this future HOFer for fill ins and one lousy pick? Morley and Nurse have gotta be frantic with the Clips being the sole suitor presently. (Westbrook looking good enough and LA won’t even include Mann in the deal - Cips need guards.)

I detest the guy on a human level but perhaps that’s owing somewhat to the # of times that he’s put the boot to our necks. Sexton and THT does the trick money-wise, then one lousy 25 pick. They gotta be desperate. Would he go for it? Would the faithful welcome him in? Would he be a mentor or detractor for our young team? I mean it’s only one lousy year, right? It’s a crap shoot, but an intriguing one.

Probably gonna be a package of Sexton and THT to aggregate mediocre assets into something of more value, like a heavily protected 2nd round pick.

• Haha
Reactions: Flc
Bump 6... but Cy is definitely going to be right some day. Sexton won't finish his career with the Jazz. Better sell him now or all his value is lost.