What's new

Should DL Trade Hayward?

Trade Hayward now!
He isn't even a consistent spot up shooter and is for sure not a consistent shooter off the dribble.

I don't want to pay him more than 8 million a year. Burks might have more work to do on his shot but he consistently attacks the rim which hayward does not.

Trey
Burks
???
Kanter
Favors

We don't know who the future SF will be but its not Hayward. These guys are trying out for who is going to make the team. We know Favors and Burke is with us for the next 3-4 years. Burks and Hayward are battling right now to see who stays. Burks is ahead in my opinion.
Kanter I think is proving himself as he is getting better as the year goes on.

Honestly in my eyes no one on this team is untouchable has to be the right deal though, but I think there are very few trades I'd take for Hayward or Burks. Burks is growing on me fast!

Of course they should, while his value is still inflated. I've never understood the hype surrounding the guy, and that hype is wearing down with every game. I'm convinced some team like Phoenix or Boston will still throw $12-14 mill a year at him, and he's barely worth $9 mill. If you can wrangle good picks and a decent young guy in return, do it.

He will never be an All-Star, he will never be your best or 2nd best player. Locking him in for $11 mill a year would be a mistake, and letting him walk would be too. If you can get him for $8-9 mill a year, sure, why not? But I don't see that happening. Cash him in.

DL has guaranteed Hayward will be in a Jazz uniform next year. Like the At&T commercial with the little kids around the table, it's not complicated.

DL has guaranteed Hayward will be in a Jazz uniform next year. Like the At&T commercial with the little kids around the table, it's not complicated.

Pretty much. I think it is a mistake to commit so openly like DL seemingly did, but we'll see if that plays to our advantage and maybe Hayward is brought back at a reasonable price.

I think there's too much angst over matching a contract when we don't have any idea what it will look like. The Jazz like him, see him as a key part of their future AND they control his rights. You don't give up control over a players contract until you HAVE to. I don't think Hayward gets as much as many fans fear he will. His value to other teams is less than it was at the start of the season. Gotta think that impacts the type of offers he gets. It's entirely possible that the Jazz can lock him up at a discount to what they're willing to pay.

Couldn't we do a draft day trade with Hayward? I've been wondering if Hayward and a pick could move us up into top 3 territory. It looks like Hayward probably will get overpaid so I think the jazz should be looking to get the most possible value for him.(be that now or later)

Couldn't we do a draft day trade with Hayward? I've been wondering if Hayward and a pick could move us up into top 3 territory. It looks like Hayward probably will get overpaid so I think the jazz should be looking to get the most possible value for him.(be that now or later)

I don't think you can he is technically a free agent after the season ends.

No draft day trade, but they could evaluate a sign-and-trade like the Kings/Pelicans did with Tyreke Evans.

Or they could match with the intent to play him the first half of the season and trade him after the restrictions for trading free agents pass based on how he plays. If there's multiple teams vying for him based on his play this year, I can't see that changing over the first half of next season.

If the reports about Phoenix and Boston wanting to make an all out blitz for Hayward in the offseason are true, It would be in their best interest to make a trade for him now. Maybe DL is smarter than we think and he's trying to get the message out to other teams that the Jazz will match ANY offer for Hayward, thus making it impossible for other teams to obtain him through restricted free agency? This tactic by DL could also possibly help drive away interest by other teams to offer on Hayward, which would give the Jazz a big upperhand in negotiations. DL a genius?

If the reports about Phoenix and Boston wanting to make an all out blitz for Hayward in the offseason are true, It would be in their best interest to make a trade for him now. Maybe DL is smarter than we think and he's trying to get the message out to other teams that the Jazz will match ANY offer for Hayward, thus making it impossible for other teams to obtain him through restricted free agency? This tactic by DL could also possibly help drive away interest by other teams to offer on Hayward, which would give the Jazz a big upperhand in negotiations. DL a genius?

Yeah but who do you want on Boston or Phoenix? Other than draft picks.

Can't know what the truth is until you play it out. Right now, DL is holding the best cards. He can force everyone else to lay down their hand before he even has to decide to bet or not. I still think that the plan should be to wait until you see what offers he gets and then decide how to respond.

I've said this b4 and sticking to it.

Hayward is with 10-11/year.

Someone will offer 12/13 in RFA.

I we plan to match that, keep him.

If that is too much, trade him now.

Keep in mind Jazz have tough time attracted FA's so that is playing in Haywards Favor to be overpaid.

He made the olympic group again...that puts him in top 40 or so. GM's do like him.

I've said this b4 and sticking to it.

Hayward is with 10-11/year.

Someone will offer 12/13 in RFA.

I we plan to match that, keep him.

If that is too much, trade him now.

Keep in mind Jazz have tough time attracted FA's so that is playing in Haywards Favor to be overpaid.

He made the olympic group again...that puts him in top 40 or so. GM's do like him.
If other GMs like him and think that he's worth that kind of investment. . . why shouldn't the Jazz also. IMO, he has more value to Utah than he does any other team in the nba.

If other GMs like him and think that he's worth that kind of investment. . . why shouldn't the Jazz also. IMO, he has more value to Utah than he does any other team in the nba.

I agree and want him to stay.

I do not understand why DL did not pay him before the season.

Guess that is why I am not a GM

I agree with a few of the prior posts - if we can get value for him I say trade him. He wants more money than he's worth and we have Burks.