What's new

Smartphones to replace computers soon

It wouldn't be post PC, it would be a flat PC with a touchscreen. How would carrying one of those around be different than carrying around a laptop?
It is a laptop with a touchscreen with an application to type on the screen.

Hey Steve Jobs is the one who said it was the start of the post pc era, so take it up with him.

Anyway, no, a tablet is not a laptop. It's a big smartphone (some of them aren't even any bigger than smartphones). They run the same OS, have the same form factor, run the same apps, have the same architecture and processors, and if you have cellular service and a dialer app they make calls.

If we're now saying tablets are laptops, then smartphones have already replaced computers.

Okay, you guys know you were expecting me to post in this thread anytime now. Well, at least those of you who really have a clue about what you were talking about in this thread.

And for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, go hit up google so you can come back and pretend you know what you're talking about.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of something else. I read an awesome tweet the other day that reminded me of this thread:
https://twitter.com/zpower/status/48846862165356544
generally speaking: if I've used a product and you haven't, my opinion of it is more valid than yours. opposite is also true.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=170&sid=16263113

3.5 years to go. Get on board or get out of the way.

For the record, AT&T already had capped data before this thread was even started, T-Mobile had throttled data before this thread was started, and Verizon had already announced plans to cap data before this thread was started.

In short- there is nothing new in your link. If you're getting all your info on this subject from KSL, who obviously has no idea themselves, then that explains why you can't see this coming. Obviously the mobile carriers see this coming, which is why they are trying to get pricing in place right now. You think they'd be raising prices if they thought landlines/home computers had a future?

Like you said, 3.5 years to go. Get on board or get out of the way.

For the record, AT&T already had capped data before this thread was even started, T-Mobile had throttled data before this thread was started, and Verizon had already announced plans to cap data before this thread was started.

In short- there is nothing new in your link. If you're getting all your info on this subject from KSL, who obviously has no idea themselves, then that explains why you can't see this coming. Obviously the mobile carriers see this coming, which is why they are trying to get pricing in place right now. You think they'd be raising prices if they thought landlines/home computers had a future?

/getting out of the way before Salty's head explodes

Hmm...I'll give this a 6/10.

Check this out, Microsoft unveiling Windows 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1LbukC9dc

If you have ever seen a Windows Phone, you will immediately recognize Windows 8 as the same. All of that "it will run on ARM" that I was saying comes into perspective when you actually see it (assuming you have seen a Windows Phone before).

https://www.engadget.com/2011/08/14...n-semiconductors-for-wireless-devices-than-c/

"Well, if you didn't believe that we live in a post-PC world before, the latest report from IHS iSuppli should help persuade you. According to its research, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) will have spent $55.4 billion on semiconductors for phones and tablets in 2011, as compared to just $53.1 billion on PC silicon. Of course, as the chart above shows, OEMs spent more money on wireless devices in 2008 and 2009. But, after an interlude of PC primacy in 2010, it looks like mobile's where the money's at for the foreseeable future -- can't say we didn't warn you."

and soon enough, smart phones will be yesterday's news because we'll all be wearing our computers on our skin

ls_IMG_0247_inset.jpg

https://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/333186/description/Computers_get_under_our_skin_

Epidermal devices integrate electronics into the body By Laura Sanders Web edition : Thursday, August 11th, 2011

A thin, flexible electronic device that sticks onto skin like a temporary tattoo connects the body to the electronic world, researchers report. A small electronic device slapped onto the skin like a temporary tattoo could bring us closer to a future that melds body and machine, a cyborg world where people have cell phones embedded in their throats and Internet browsers literally at their fingertips.

Described in the Aug. 12 Science, the gizmos were developed by researchers looking to create less obtrusive medical monitors for premature babies and other special-needs patients. But the technology’s potential for integrating computers into the human body could be vast...

Attachments

• ls_IMG_0247_inset.jpg
    ls_IMG_0247_inset.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 2
https://www.engadget.com/2011/08/14...n-semiconductors-for-wireless-devices-than-c/

"Well, if you didn't believe that we live in a post-PC world before, the latest report from IHS iSuppli should help persuade you. According to its research, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) will have spent $55.4 billion on semiconductors for phones and tablets in 2011, as compared to just $53.1 billion on PC silicon. Of course, as the chart above shows, OEMs spent more money on wireless devices in 2008 and 2009. But, after an interlude of PC primacy in 2010, it looks like mobile's where the money's at for the foreseeable future -- can't say we didn't warn you."

So 53.1 billion was still spenty on PC silicon, right?

On a related note...

With reduced NASA spending, what will be the effect on the development of future technologies? Will Moore's law still hold up?

Phones have become a status symbol. PCs sit on your desk at home, so it's hard to use a sweet PC to look cool in front of other people. Also, women never really took to the home PC the way men (teenage, young-adult men) have, but women do like thier phones.

I bought my wife a HTC EVO. It's nice. She really likes it. I still can't stand to search the web on a phone. It's good in a pinch if I'm on the road, but if I'm at home I'll set my phone down and go upstairs to my PC if I want to get on the internet.

So in short, the smart phone will take over because people think they look cool when they have one and smartphones are women inclusive. Yay for smartphones. Meanwhile I still HIGHLY prefer my PC to my smartphone.

So 53.1 billion was still spenty on PC silicon, right?
Yep.
Phones have become a status symbol. PCs sit on your desk at home, so it's hard to use a sweet PC to look cool in front of other people. Also, women never really took to the home PC the way men (teenage, young-adult men) have, but women do like thier phones.

I bought my wife a HTC EVO. It's nice. She really likes it. I still can't stand to search the web on a phone. It's good in a pinch if I'm on the road, but if I'm at home I'll set my phone down and go upstairs to my PC if I want to get on the internet.

So in short, the smart phone will take over because people think they look cool when they have one and smartphones are women inclusive. Yay for smartphones. Meanwhile I still HIGHLY prefer my PC to my smartphone.
There are a number of reasons why the smartphone is surpassing the pc. I guess looking cool for some people is probably one of them.

As for your own preference... Nobody is claiming that everyone will suddenly decide a 4 inch screen and on screen keyboard is better than a 22 inch screen and full size keyboard. I am saying future phones will be able to use that same 22 inch screen and full size keyboard.

The Evo 4G was not made for that. The community did a great job of adding this functionality to the Evo though. See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbm0JhGVxCA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The instructions and everything you need to do it are here:
https://members.cox.net/lokifish/Gallery.html

Keep in mind, that video is from several months ago. It looks and works way better than that now with the latest software. There are other launchers (interfaces) too that make it look better.

The newer smartphones have all of this built in though and are actually made to be used in this fashion. The Evo 3D, for example, can be plugged into a TV and mirrored like that right out of the box without installing anything or changing any settings. And it has a higher resolution so it looks better. And it's twice as fast too (although speed wasn't a problem on the Evo 4G). Plus, it comes with Polaris Office, and the Docs app.

So the claim in this thread is not that people will suddenly decide a 4 inch screen and onscreen keyboard is better. Rather, the claim is that once everyone has a smartphone, and the smartphone can duplicate the functionality of their home pc, people will start using their smartphone like a pc. And when that happens, people will stop using their pc.

I don't know, If I've got my smartphone sitting on my desk, plugged into a full-sized keyboard and monitor I don't think that smartphones have really replaced PCs, they will just be the new smaller version of a PC without the ability to customize internal hardware to meet the user's needs.