What's new

Smartphones to replace computers soon

I don't know, If I've got my smartphone sitting on my desk, plugged into a full-sized keyboard and monitor I don't think that smartphones have really replaced PCs, they will just be the new smaller version of a PC without the ability to customize internal hardware to meet the user's needs.
You could say that. Semantics I guess. Will smartphones technically replace PC's, or will PC's turn into smartphones? Same thing in the end.

and as far as I'm concerned, tablets are a different category all together - - I definitely wouldn't call them a bigger version of a smart phone, even though there may be many similarities in operating systems and what-not.

and you say it's all semantics now, eh Salty? So are you conceding defeat?

just kidding.... I know you're not :)

and as far as I'm concerned, tablets are a different category all together - - I definitely wouldn't call them a bigger version of a smart phone, even though there may be many similarities in operating systems and what-not.

and you say it's all semantics now, eh Salty? So are you conceding defeat?

just kidding.... I know you're not :)
Tablets are definitely bigger smartphones (actually not all of them are bigger). It's not that they have many similarities like you say, it's more like they are the exact same thing.

Tablets are definitely bigger smartphones (actually not all of them are bigger). It's not that they have many similarities like you say, it's more like they are the exact same thing.

and yet I think people would tend to have both, rather than purchasing a tablet to replace their phone

and yet I think people would tend to have both, rather than purchasing a tablet to replace their phone
People may buy both. But that doesn't mean the functionality, form factor, and OS isn't the exact same with only the screen size being different.

I have a car and an SUV. It doesn't mean they aren't both automobiles just because I own both.

People may buy both. But that doesn't mean the functionality, form factor, and OS isn't the exact same with only the screen size being different.

I have a car and an SUV. It doesn't mean they aren't both automobiles just because I own both.

I was thinking more in terms of one thing replacing another, as referenced in the thread title.
My position is that folks will still tend to have multiple devices - just as folks find a need to have multiple vehicles.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I was thinking more in terms of one thing replacing another, as referenced in the thread title.
My position is that folks will still tend to have multiple devices - just as folks find a need to have multiple vehicles.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well the thread title is referring to smartphones replacing computers. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a tablet is considered a smartphone.

Just so you know though, the companies making the tablets and the people making apps for them consider them the same. So do the phone companies that sell them.

Well the thread title is referring to smartphones replacing computers. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a tablet is considered a smartphone.

Just so you know though, the companies making the tablets and the people making apps for them consider them the same. So do the phone companies that sell them.

Then why are there apps we can get on my wife's iPhone that we cannot get on my son's iPad, if they are considered the same?

https://mashable.com/2011/08/24/acer-first-loss-in-a-decade/

Further proof, if you need it, that the consumer PC business is in the tank: Acer has posted its first loss in a decade.

The Taiwanese PC maker has also told analysts that a full-year profit will be “impossible.” Acer, which makes mid- to low-end consumer models, posted a net loss of $234 million in its second quarter vs. a $3.6 billion profit in Q2 2010. This was Acer’s first loss in a decade, but sales had been falling for the last four consecutive quarters. Second-quarter revenues fell 23% compared to the year-ago period.

Acer fell from number two (next to Hewlett-Packard) in Q2 2010 to number five, in terms of global units, for Q2 2011, according to researcher Canalys. Overall shipments rose 17.9% during that time, though much of that growth came from Apple’s iPad, which was included in the results. Apple went from number four to number two on that survey with a growth of 95.9% for the period. Nevertheless, Acer Chairman J.T. Wang downplayed the iPad’s effect on sales. “The fever for tablets is going down and the notebook is regaining the interest of the consumer,” he said. Acer introduced its own tablet, the Iconia Tab A500, in April.

The dismal state of the consumer PC industry, plus its inability to gain traction with its TouchPad tablet PC, prompted HP to announce last week that it planned to spin off its consumer PC unit.

Wow, and this is BEFORE Microsoft launches Windows 8, which effectively kills the PC as we know it.

She spent the entire article talking about how these apps could easily replace the laptop programs, even saying her husband wished his company made the switch because it was better for business, and then at the end says she doesn't think it will replace a laptop, lol

She missed a few important facts though that would probably change her opinion.

1: That MS Office that she was so fond of is coming to Android and iPhone/iPad. The rumored launch date for the Android version is in March. You will then be able to use it on any phone/tablet. If her only beef with it was the tablet it happened to be installed on (was too big), then this point will be soon be moot.

2: The Microsoft Surface tablet that will be launching soon has a keyboard built into the case. Similar cases are available for every other tablet out there. She also mentioned that you can get a wireless keyboard if you want. If her only concern for tablets in general is typing works different than on a laptop, this is already a non issue.

3: These apps are still relatively new and have already improved a lot over time. They will continue to get better. Even though her husband, a business user, said it's already good enough and he hopes his company makes the switch, you can absolutely expect these apps to get a lot better in the coming months.

4: Some tablets will be running the same Windows 8, with the same MS Office, as a desktop computer. There will literally be no difference. And they will come in all shapes and sizes. They won't all be as big and clunky as the one she tried. Her only concern with that tablet was she thought it was too big, and that point is moot.

5: The old man that said the screen was too small on his phone could have either got a phone with a bigger screen, connected his phone to his tv or a monitor, or tried a tablet. Just because he thought the screen was too small on that particular phone doesn't mean the laptop is the only alternative.

Smartphones/tablets are replacing desktops/laptops. It will just take a time for them to die out. When my desktop dies I am not replacing it. I will have a tablet and my iphone by then.

Smartphones/tablets are replacing desktops/laptops. It will just take a time for them to die out. When my desktop dies I am not replacing it. I will have a tablet and my iphone by then.

I rarely use even my laptop anymore.
The only thing I see the need for using it is downloading illegal torrents, and burning CD's from FLAC files for which I still believe sound 10 times better than compressed MP3's.

Getting close to the four year threshold... I'd like to read Vinylone's thoughts.

I'm sending this from my iPad, which I hate, and I just bought a new desktop computer, which I love.

Still way too many things I can do on my desktop/laptop I still cannot do on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3). As cool as my phone is, and considering at release it was the most powerful portable device on the market that was not a laptop, it is still extraordinarily weak in many regards.

Interesting article about this.

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247218/_PC_sales_to_drop_by_6_in_2014

Gartner expects 276.7 million PCs to ship to retailers in 2014, a figure that will slip further to 263 million units in 2015. In recent years, two-thirds of laptop and desktop owners have replaced their hardware with updated models; of the remaining third, most replaced their old machines with tablets and tablet hybrids, with a smaller number not buying replacements of any kind, said Ranjit Atwal, a Gartner analyst.

So what it seems is happening is that more people are adding mobile devices, not replacing, and most people are working on the best tool for the task. No big surprise there. A PC/laptop is a much better tool for gaming, spreadsheets, browsing, watching videos, etc. A smartphone/tablet is a much better tool for quick reference, communication (voice only being part of this), social media, and anything on the go. I think it will be a very long time before one single device replaces all of the above. Specialization will keep the PC alive for a long time, especially considering we are pushing the limits of miniaturized processing power (the newest processors in phones are not following Moore's Law), and are still years away from approximating the power of a PC or laptop.

I think we can pretty much call this myth busted[SUP]®[/SUP].

4 years on the dot today. Anyone throw out their computer in favor of their cell phone recently?