What's new

Smartphones to replace computers soon

All my posts on Jazzfanz come straight from my phone. I never use a computer. I'll admit that it's not ideal, and it takes a little longer, it's a little harder to edit, post pictures, etc.., but I can't imagine just sitting down at a computer and posting on Jazzfanz for hours, or starting up the computer just to post a few things. I post when I'm bored or have a free minute or two. Which I can find time to do any part of the day, and isn't a big deal. It doesn't really require a set time. It's not much different than texting someone. Obviously, having a really good phone helps, which I have.

What phone you have?

You're going to need to learn to ice fish (not hard; drill hole, drop bait down hole, sit on your ***, drink beer, rinse/repeat), or get out and brave the rivers (Provo/Weber). Or, drive down here and fish tomorrow.

I am fishing a tournament in Arizona in three weeks -- maybe* -- and I can't wait.

*My partner's boat has ridden its last wake and we are scrambling to find a replacement vessel. It'll be a damn shame to miss this tourney because we don't have a floatation device.

BS-bs-md-pony-swim-p3.jpg

All throughout this thread Salty touted the amazing Windows 8. Anyone actually used Windows 8 who didn't pine for Windows 7 again? And Win 8 on a phone or tablet is just a mess (my son had one for 3 months then traded it in for an Android). We are pretty far from having phones replace computers, tbh. I just ordered the parts for my next gaming rig, and will pass down my current PC to my wife and kids.

Anyone know what ever happened to Salty anyway?

Never has the word "hack" needed to be used more to describe Salty and his illusions of the desktop computer replacement.

All my posts on Jazzfanz come straight from my phone. I never use a computer. I'll admit that it's not ideal, and it takes a little longer, it's a little harder to edit, post pictures, etc.., but I can't imagine just sitting down at a computer and posting on Jazzfanz for hours, or starting up the computer just to post a few things. I post when I'm bored or have a free minute or two. Which I can find time to do any part of the day, and isn't a big deal. It doesn't really require a set time. It's not much different than texting someone. Obviously, having a really good phone helps, which I have.

Autocorrect alone would kill this for me. No matter if I used my work-provided iPhone or my personal Note 3 the autocorrect is about 40% accurate. And there are words I want to type that are not in the dictionary on these phones so typing anything longer than a few sentences is a real chore, and frustrating to boot.

Yeah, still rocking the desktop. Still prefer it for 99% of stuff I do online. And that last 1% just means I don't prefer the desktop to the phone, and not that I actually prefer the phone.

I just upgraded my Snow Leopard Hackintosh that I built in 2009 to Mountain Lion. Yes, I know. Anyway, the computer flies!

90-9-1 rule. 90% view content, 9% edit content, 1% create content. Only a matter of time before the 90% get computers made for consumption. A real computer is not for everyone and never has been.
It's a sad trend to put the power of the computer back into the hands of big business and a chosen few in the cloud. It was a pretty inadvertent hiccup in the world that actually let the everyday person have so much power at their fingertips. They're taking things back though slowly with each new shiny device and monthly software renting.

Too many people get caught up in semantics when it comes to technology.
What exactly is a "phone"? It's a mobile device. That's the key differentiator when comparing it to a "Desktop." Mobility.
So, tablets, at their core--such as an iPad, Surface, etc. are all much closer to being phones than desktops.

We're getting to a point in time where tablets and phones are merging. The iPhone6+ and iPadMini aren't extremely different.
Eventually these two items will merge and whatever the result is will be the new "phone" and kill the traditional "desktop" as we know it.

The OP will eventually be proven correct.

No one disputed that eventually it is likely that will happen. But the OP claimed unreasonably that it would happen within 4 years without question. That time had come and gone and we aren't even much closer to mobiles replacing computers, let alone the computer being completely dead in favor of the cell phone.

No one disputed that eventually it is likely that will happen. But the OP claimed unreasonably that it would happen within 4 years without question. That time had come and gone and we aren't even much closer to mobiles replacing computers, let alone the computer being completely dead in favor of the cell phone.

I find it kind of odd that you had to post this. I think anyone with a semblance of intelligence would understand what the contention was in regards to Salty's bogus and incredibly premature claims. Is JI trolling?

I find it kind of odd that you had to post this. I think anyone with a semblance of intelligence would understand what the contention was in regards to Salty's bogus and incredibly premature claims. Is JI trolling?

Does a duck go quack?

He is actually the reincarnation of HH and is therefore yes a troll.

Or what GF said.

whatever, i didn't read through this entire thread or do a deep examination of OP's thoughts. I didn't see anything about 4 years in the original post. My point stands on the topic mentioned in the title. But carry on with your judgements, assumptions, and insults.

whatever, i didn't read through this entire thread or do a deep examination of OP's thoughts. I didn't see anything about 4 years in the original post. My point stands on the topic mentioned in the title. But carry on with your judgements, assumptions, and insults.

cc07ba9b44bc1ab56ec34d9655af15af.jpg

Wow. A sensitive troll.

Nice find Viny. 7% us a fairly small but not insignificant percentage. But it is really really far from any kind of take over. I have been relegated to using my cell phone exclusively to work on the past week. We were in temp housing that had WiFi but this last week we moved into a permanent apartment and we don't have Internet set up here yet. So I've been submitting hiring requisitions, editing docs, answering emails, shopping for a car Lease, conducting interviews, and submitting change requests all via phone. I finally broke down, called Telekom and had my package bumped up to 10 GB full high speed data and added tethering to my phone. So then I had WiFi again by tethering my laptop to my phone and things went 500x faster than by phone alone, and only about a factor of 10 still shower than true high speed Internet which is coming in a week.

So yeah we are still so far from this while thing that it isn't even funny.

All throughout this thread Salty touted the amazing Windows 8. Anyone actually used Windows 8 who didn't pine for Windows 7 again? And Win 8 on a phone or tablet is just a mess (my son had one for 3 months then traded it in for an Android). We are pretty far from having phones replace computers, tbh. I just ordered the parts for my next gaming rig, and will pass down my current PC to my wife and kids.

Anyone know what ever happened to Salty anyway?

I like Windows 8 better than Windows 7.

I like Windows 8 better than Windows 7.

That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that. Can you tell me what you like better about it? I'm curious.