What's new

Smartphones to replace computers soon

So when those people who only have smart phones need to update their resume? Print it out?

I can't imagine not having a PC.

So when those people who only have smart phones need to update their resume? Print it out?

I can't imagine not having a PC.

I'm not in the "smartphone replaces computer" camp. I have a laptop and a desktop. But I can print wirelessly from my iPhone.

The gap is starting to narrow significantly.

But no, there will always be some need for desktops/laptops/tablets. not just smartphones.

I'm not in the "smartphone replaces computer" camp. I have a laptop and a desktop. But I can print wirelessly from my iPhone.

But to compose the resume on a phone seems like pure torture.

Not a snowball's chance in hell I would want to do it, but it is possible. That's why I firmly believe there will basically always be laptops/desktops.

Ask any millennial the last time they sat down at a desktop to compose an email...

Smartphones have drastically cut down on the desktop usage in this country. However, there will always be a need for a desktop/laptop platform for media editing, research, and writing.

Ask any millennial the last time they sat down at a desktop to compose an email...

Smartphones have drastically cut down on the desktop usage in this country. However, there will always be a need for a desktop/laptop platform for media editing, research, and writing.

Do my kids and their friends count as millenials? They all use computers on a daily basis and they all wanted upgraded laptops for birthday/christmas this year. My daughter's high school basically requires access to a computer and a solid chunk of her school work involved computer time. She also had an end-of-school party the other day with about a dozen kids showing up between the ages of 14 and 17. All but 3 brought a laptop with them since they had planned a game night. Of course they all have smart phones too, as do my other kids and my wife and myself. And they get used a lot. But we are very far from the cell phone actually taking the place of a computer outright.

Do my kids and their friends count as millenials? They all use computers on a daily basis and they all wanted upgraded laptops for birthday/christmas this year. My daughter's high school basically requires access to a computer and a solid chunk of her school work involved computer time. She also had an end-of-school party the other day with about a dozen kids showing up between the ages of 14 and 17. All but 3 brought a laptop with them since they had planned a game night. Of course they all have smart phones too, as do my other kids and my wife and myself. And they get used a lot. But we are very far from the cell phone actually taking the place of a computer outright.

Right. Which is why I said that desktops/laptops are still the preferred platform "for media editing, research, and writing."

I did it today. I'm a millennial.

My experience with millennials is that they don't generally compose e-mails at all - nor do they listen to voicemail messages.

Most of them work, and they work on a computer or laptop. So when they do have to use e-mail, they do it at work. I know a fair number of older folks who follow this same pattern. They won't see an e-mail until the next day if it's sent after 4 PM.

I'm on holiday in thailand at the moment and the fact that I have to use my mobile's internet to give my Macbook internet access via hotspot speaks volume.

Having said that you still can't beat typing on a physical keyboard though.

I'm on holiday in thailand at the moment and the fact that I have to use my mobile's internet to give my Macbook internet access via hotspot speaks volume.

Having said that you still can't beat typing on a physical keyboard though.

You should try the new Magic Keyboard. It has numpad too.

When you pair a mobile device with a bluetooth keyboard, it does become something like a computer, but it kinda depends on what you do with it. Instant Hotspot really is one of the most handy things about mobile tech. But it still does not replace wide bandwidth connections.

I mean they released an iMac with 27 inches display that supports 5K ? What are we even talking about!

You should try the new Magic Keyboard. It has numpad too.

When you pair a mobile device with a bluetooth keyboard, it does become something like a computer, but it kinda depends on what you do with it. Instant Hotspot really is one of the most handy things about mobile tech. But it still does not replace wide bandwidth connections.

I mean they released an iMac with 27 inches display that supports 5K ? What are we even talking about!

Well I'm here on a 3 month holiday, I simply could not get a modem connection set up in my room for that short period of time (it's usually on a 1 year contract). So it was really convenient to just get a pre-paid sim card and with one of the packages you can get unlimited 4kbps 4G internet connection for something like $30 a month. Then all I do is hotspot it and connect my Macbook up to it. Easy as. Granted, the speed is not lightning fast, but it's passable.

This would have been impossible without my smartphone.

Nah there are older techs that provide cellular network without mobile phones small as flashdisks.

You're probably right actually, I just have never needed so didn't know where to look for that type of package. Having said that this is more convenient for me as I kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I get great unlimited internet access for my smartphone ANYWHERE I go, and when I need to type out a long winded email (or this post), I just connect my macbook up to the hotspot and hey presto.

I had an LG intuition (around 4 years ago)that I basically ran my business from. If you have a big enough screen and once you set it up right it's actually pretty easy to do stuff like that. I would create bids and invoices and send them in pdf format. I even set up the template on the phone as it was a different program and there was a formating problem when I tried to do it from my pc.

verizon-lg-intuition-review-19.jpg

Basically, smartphones can easily replace desktops for those users who always only needed something like a smartphone. Between 2000 and 2010, hordes of people bought proper desktop computers to read email, MSN message their friends, check sports box scores, and occasionally look up the address of that Mexican place that has great chimichongas. They didn't need 99% of features offered by a desktop, but back then, you had no choice. Now, they have a much more convenient device that lets them do all that, without all the extras they don't need.

People who needed a desktop and actually used their desktop 15 years ago will still use desktops. In the past few days, I've used my computer to play League of Legends, to work on a 168,000-row Excel file, to record music through a mixing interface hooked up to my computer, to send resumes out, to draw a map in an open-source Photoshop equivalent that is 15000x15000 pixels, and helped some guy from Melbourne translate some old baptismal records from Ukrainian by looking at a scanned microfilm of a church book. I don't think I can do any of these on the phone, but I don't think any millennials do stuff like this. It's hard to have time for anything, really, when Instagraming everything takes up almost every free second you have.

Basically, smartphones can easily replace desktops for those users who always only needed something like a smartphone. Between 2000 and 2010, hordes of people bought proper desktop computers to read email, MSN message their friends, check sports box scores, and occasionally look up the address of that Mexican place that has great chimichongas. They didn't need 99% of features offered by a desktop, but back then, you had no choice. Now, they have a much more convenient device that lets them do all that, without all the extras they don't need.

People who needed a desktop and actually used their desktop 15 years ago will still use desktops. In the past few days, I've used my computer to play League of Legends, to work on a 168,000-row Excel file, to record music through a mixing interface hooked up to my computer, to send resumes out, to draw a map in an open-source Photoshop equivalent that is 15000x15000 pixels, and helped some guy from Melbourne translate some old baptismal records from Ukrainian by looking at a scanned microfilm of a church book. I don't think I can do any of these on the phone, but I don't think any millennials do stuff like this. It's hard to have time for anything, really, when Instagraming everything takes up almost every free second you have.

gimp-01-535x535.png

You can do almost anything on a smartphone. They have evolved so much and will continue to evolve.

I can't remember the last time I posted on this site not using the app. I can check my bank account by a simple fingerprint. I can check my e-mail effortlessly. It gives you notifications when you get a new e-mail. It's awesome for things like Facebook. I use my phone to pay my electric bill, phone bill, car payment, etc.

There is an app for almost everything. I have a laptop and literally the only thing I use it for is for my school work.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app